Sports Broadcasting History

Mark Readings used to be art of Nine afl coverage but now he is at 7. Last year, he occasionally called two afl games (West coast v bulldogs, West coast v Melbourne).
Tony Jones wasn’t used in commentary, but was in WWOS Melbourne’s studios. He is still at Nine Melbourne.

Didn’t he do the boundary on Friday night?

1 Like

I would have thought that Chompers has done boundary on Friday Night afl.

1 Like

It was a rhetorical question.

And you’d fit right into the boys club calling him chompers.

2 Likes

In 10 December 2006, TEN said Goodbye to V8 Supercars after nearly 10 years of telecast. This saw the Seven Network pick up the rights for the V8 Supercars from 2007. This was a montage reminiscing the moments that have happened in the 2006 V8 Supercars season with Snow Patrol’s single Chasing Cars. Seven had the V8 Supercars from early 2007 until December 2014.

This was Seven’s final V8 Supercars telecast on 7 December 2014. The V8 Supercars went back to TEN in 2015 but with a Fox-TEN agreement deal for the next 6 years.

2 Likes

That’s a superb montage, extremely well produced.

1 Like

10’s farewell to AFL coverage in 2011 after losing the rights

1 Like

Ten’s farewell AFL match telecast was 2011 Afl grand final with American singer Meatloaf performing his songs. His performance was panned by a lot of commentators.
But other than that Geelong got home by 38 points. After nearly 10 years, Ten said farewell. Farewell to 5 minute warning, farewell to the 5th quarter.
Ten AfL telecast: 30 March 2002 (Geelong v Essendon)- 1 October 2011 (afl grand final)
Nine afl telecast: 28 March 2002 (Richmond v Collingwood)-2 September 2006 (Collingwood v Kangaroos).

3 Likes

He did for the entire run alongside Dr Peter Larkins. He would also anchor the delayed and edited Sunday game from the studio with the likes of Michael Roberts and Chris Jones (apparently now producing Channel 7’s test cricket coverage these days) handling boundary duties.

2 Likes

I know of a few times where the late game wasn’t edited- if a interstate game was the second match.

Ten really took motorsport to the nextblevel. Seven took the series for granted, only putting an effort into Bathurst which they’d televised for decades. No doubt this contributed to the breakaway of the V8s. Kinda sad to see the sport declining behind the paywall.

1 Like

Didn’t Nine carry a Bulldogs-Eagles Sunday match from Perth once that delayed the news in 03, or was that a Fox Footy game? That’s the one that ended in a draw.

1 Like

Seven once demanded that a NZ race end short of the distance so that Seven could move on to the Melbourne-Fremantle AFL game. Likely that’s one reason why V8s are now on Fox.

I was thinking more the late 80s - 90s when they only had highlights outside of Bathurst.

I would have thought that was a Fox Footy telecast. Jason Bennett and Mark Readings used to be at Fox, but now they are at Seven. THis was a thrilling match to watch where Eagles and Bulldogs played out to a draw. This saw Nine Perth push news ratings up further as a leadin.

1 Like

The final montage of the conclusion of the 2002 Formula One Season on Channel Nine. Darrell Eastlake and Murray Walker were in the WWOS studios. The montage of the conclusion of the 2002 F1 Grand Prix was done beautifully by Nine. Darrell Eastlake retired in 2005, while Murray Walker retired in the mid-2010s.
Since 2003, TEN got the rights to telecast the Formula One Grand Prix.

I do wonder if it was covered on radio. Maybe via 6PR on 3AW after Geelong-Carlton.

With Rugby League this is what I’m aware of

7 had rights from 1974-1982 (Sunday Match of the Day)
ABC had rights from 1969-1982 1984-1995 (Saturday game LIVE)
10 had Sunday and Friday Rights from 83-91
9 had SATURDAY Rights 83 ALL RIGHTS 92-Present
7 had test matches from 91-93
9 had Origin 83-89 91-present
10 had origin 1990
7 had origin 80-82

4 Likes

he retired at the end of the 2001 season - the US grand Prix in particular.

1 Like

ABC also had at least the first two origin matches.