Sports Broadcasting History

Promo from SBS’ coverage of the 2009 Ashes:

2 Likes

One of the replies to that tweet was interesting

Dying art indeed. Not sure cost pressures can be blamed though.

Speaking of on-site, Nine’s US Open coverage from 2001

1 Like

Yep, now Fox can’t even be bothered sending commentators to the ground for the flagship AFL and NRL content. Much easier to just call it off a screen in South Melbourne and put the funds saved into creating yet another unfunny live show…

3 Likes

Fox Sports presented onsite. When Nine first had Wimbledon and US Open they did on-site coverage. Now everything is done in a studio

During the last few years of Fox Sports they did not do this. They used the world feed which constantly would finish coverage for a couple hours before the night session while matches were going on. Couldn’t even watch matches online. They didn’t care, hence why it went to ESPN

2 Likes

Why would SES take the Friday night match at 8pm, yet RTS delayed it until late night with just an hour’s lead over non-AFL markets NSW/QLD?

The stations should have been aligned by this time?

1 Like

Not sure, but AFL was more popular in the South East due to the proximity to Victoria. The VFL was more popular than the SANFL, where many people supported Victorian teams.

2 Likes

and in the 1980s SES used to take Seven’s Big League (VFL) from Melbourne. Live telecast of Saturday and Sunday VFL games began in 1987 when Broadcom got the rights and SAS10 broadcast it in Adelaide, so SES would be relayed from there. Even though SES also covered far western Victoria.

1 Like

In the 2000s and 2010s Southern Cross (Seven) Central used to broadcast not only Seven and Ten’s games but also Brisbane Lions home games where Foxtel supplied coverage. This stopped some time in the mid-2010s when SC Central only took games telecast on Seven in Victoria. I watched several of these games in sports pubs in Melbourne where they had a satellite feed of SC Central and GWN7 and showed live games on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. I also remember in 2013 SC Central showed the Brisbane Lions v Geelong match (Sunday twilight game on Foxtel) where the Lions came from behind to win at the last second.

1 Like

1999 AFL draft coverage. Really weird mix of stuff going on in it. Old 7 logo, new AFL logo, and what seems like the 1998 graphics (don’t think they’re the 99 ones) but with something else added with the blue and white stuff (could be wrong).

Along with the Millennium match, it must be one of the only times the old 7 and new AFL logos appeared together.

4 Likes

I think the other potential time was during the International Rules series of that year (held in Australia in October), the title graphics of which I definitely recall including both the new AFL and the GAA logos.

The graphic theme would have been custom for the draft (Seven were also making special graphics for the Brownlow; they had kind of a fetish for the whizz-bang animated stuff in the late 90s!) but the player graphics definitely look based on the 1998 ones; certainly possible that they didn’t bother creating new ones for '99.

[I wouldn’t read too much into the colours - although they did use the '98 graphics but with blue instead of gold on some of them during the '99 pre-season, I presume the colours here were just used to fit into the rest of the graphics and the AFL/draft logo colours, which would’ve fit the old AFL logo in '98 just as much.]

Strange in retrospect that the national draft was shown on Seven live or near-live in the southern states, even going as far back as 1993 according to Wikipedia. I get it, even as a northerner who would probably have found it “riveting :roll_eyes:” at the time.

It’s instructive as to the leads the AFL and Fox Footy have taken from the NFL regarding the national draft, thirty years down the track - like separating the first round out into its own night - or trying their own things with varying success (revealing the top ten in reverse order, I think they did one year??), but of course the Australian way of covering things is never going to be as bombastic as what ESPN do with the latter.

2 Likes

Also Mick McGuane’s last appearance on 7, took a coaching role in Tasmania the next year.

2 Likes

Nine’s outro for their 2005 Brownlow Medal coverage. Host was Eddie McGuire

3 Likes
3 Likes

Speed Channel:

(The following two have converted in blue - they are red in the promos)

Found some old videos on the Fox Sports News website:

3 Likes

Whats with the Speed motorsport channel 505? Is this a over flow channel?

1 Like

It’s old mate. The videos above are from 2012/2013.

Yeah i know. I saying is the 505 channel a overflow channel for Speed?

No, Speed was on channel 505 which is now Fox Sports 505

2 Likes