Sports Broadcasting History

Same case in Sydney, where Seven would take one of the 1:10pm Brisbane Lions matches in lieu of the network-produced game which would otherwise air at 2:00pm, unless that match involved the Sydney Swans.

These days, Seven takes a straight Fox feed but there have been at least two occasions when Seven has produced its own pre-game, half-time and post-game segments (Essendon vs St Kilda in 2015 when the Adelaide Crows vs Geelong Cats match was cancelled outright and Gold Coast Suns vs Adelaide Crows in 2020 when the Essendon vs Melbourne match was postponed due to a Melbourne player contracting COVID) like they did for the interstate teams in their respective markets between 2007-11. Those matches were, however, delayed.

2 Likes

They did this for 3 GF’s in the 1990’s (same 3 callers for 1997 did 1998, Ian Robertson did 1999 instead of Dennis). They did however basically go 3 PbP callers for much of the finals series in 1997, which probably stretched their depth. Apart from that the 1999 Prelim had 3 callers (Matthew Campbell added to Bruce and Robbo, half pandering to the Brisbane audience), but this hasn’t really happened since.

2 Likes

I wonder what the reasoning was. Just trying to keep them all happy? An argument could be made that two callers is too many.

2 Likes

Combined with 1-2 special comments men, 2 boundary riders, a “video analyst”, John Russo in the 4th umpires chair and Peter McKenna in the Southern Stand commenting on forward structures it sounded awfully crowded.

4 Likes

I always thought the three callers was a counterpoint to Sports AFL who went the other way with just one caller and 2 or 3 experts including Daicos perched behind the goals, a move Sevem replicated with McKenna.

1 Like

During 2002-2006, Nine added their own coverage (Nine’s Sunday Football Intro, Quarter Break Bumper and Closing) for Fox Matches and had Fox commentators feature on the broadcast.

Also during that time (Predominately 2005-06) The original Fox Footy Channel commentary crew looked like this:

Sat Arvo: Jason Bennett and Tony Shaw
Sat Night: Matthew Campbell, Kevin Bartlett and Tiffany Cherry
Sun: Clinton Grybas, Gerard Healy and Wayne Carey.

1 Like

To my knowledge I think this is the first AFL match Jason Bennett called for Seven. From what I remember, he was called up to replace Bruce McAvaney who was unwell.

Courtesy: Sports Highlights Australia

1 Like

Just a glimpse of what was broadcast on Seven in a typical round in 1999

Interesting that the Swans were live into Sydney and the Lions delayed into Brisbane, despite both being 7:30ish Saturday Night matches.

Melbourne seem to have had 5 matches shown in full with 2 of those live. Adelaide were treated best this weekend with 6 full matches of which 3 were live.

Melbourne maybe had news at half time of the WCE - ESS match on the Sunday?
Edit: Prime and regional TV times

Gold Coast got great coverage for the time.

8 Likes

Round 4, 1998 as well. May be comparing apples with oranges, but 99’s coverage feels a lot stronger for pretty much everywhere.

5 Likes

That WCE-ESS game seems to be all over the place.

It’s “live” into Darwin at 4:20pm (4:50pm AEST). Melbourne is showing it at the same time but not saying it’s live, meanwhile Regional Victoria and Gold Coast are showing the second half at 4:50pm and Southern Cross is showing part “live” at 4:50pm then taking a break (presumably for the news) then returning at 6:25pm.

Meanwhile, AFL tables says the game starts at 4:50pm WA time (6:50pm AEST), although they confuse local and eastern time every so often.

2 Likes

AFL Tables is a fantastic website but one thing I don’t trust them with is the accuracy of match start times across many earas and states.

3 Likes

That’s really fascinating, thanks for sharing. Goes some way to showing how sports coverage has come so far in the last 20+ years. Victoria now gets fewer games on FTA but at least all are now live.

And yeah, how good was the Gold Coast coverage by comparison to others. I guess the combination of not being a market where games were played locally combined with having a decent viewer base interested in AFL meant good coverage was offered. Up the road in Brisbane though is awful by comparison, no prime time footy even if your local team played.

3 Likes

That’s the advantage of market overlap, where the Gold Coast was serviced by Prime and Seven. Prime. saw the opportunity to take a few viewers off Seven by offering something different, along with the AFL having some sort of a toehold on the Gold Coast. This probably wouldn’t have happened if there was no overlap.

3 Likes

Pretty certain I watched that particular WC/ESS game on YouTube a couple months back.

2 Likes

NBN and Nine on the GC had its advantages for the NRL. Back in the days when they had 2 games on a Friday night NBN would play the NSW based game first and the QLD based game second where as Nine would play the QLD game first and the NSW game second. NBN also would carry the Sydney version of the Footy Show where Nine would carry the Brisbane version.

3 Likes

9 in Qld also had advantages in the early-mid 90s when they’d often show a second Sunday highlights package instead of the second hour of Sports Sunday at 5PM. Often it was the Broncos or Crushers, occasionally it would be the Seagulls.

2 Likes

Was that when the main Sunday game was on at 6.30pm?

2 Likes

I’d say that’s wrong and it was 2.50pm WST/4.50pm EST, going by the fact that AFL Tables had a game in Perth in the following round (a Sunday night before an ANZAC Day substitute holiday) listed as “9pm WST/11pm EST” which is obviously wrong.

2.50 Perth time would let it be back-to-back with the game in Adelaide. GWN would therefore have been screening it live; sounds like they weren’t showing it live against the gate in Perth itself.

I’m a little bit confused by that regional schedule as to how “TNT” and “Southern Cross” were listed separately. I take it that one is probably meant to be Seven Central, but those times don’t make sense either. (Imparja in 1999 being blank is correct as those games would’ve been on Seven Central by then.) But that still a little odd as I thought Southern Cross TAS/TNT even then was taking Friday night live, unless that only started happening with digital television and TDT? Can’t imagine Ten was doing much that would’ve stopped them taking that many games.

Out of the regional operators there, some notes:

• I’m not sure whether the Wagga feed of Prime opted out to take Friday night AFL separately from the rest of southern NSW (at 8.30) - pretty sure it did for a time, being an AFL stronghold, not sure it was doing it by this point.
  • Out of the solus operators, MTN in Griffith isn’t listed simply because they had their second channel up and running by then, and thus would have just got the “[Prime] southern NSW” feed (without any additional games as their Prime supplementary channel came via Orange, not Wagga).

I’m also reminded of seeing how MTN handled the overlap between being a primary Nine/WIN affiliate but also taking the AFL (Griffith, like Wagga, definitely has an interest in both league and Aussie rules), when Nine moved their Sunday (ARL) replay from highlights at 6.30pm to a full replay at 4pm, leading to a clash for a couple of years.

In those cases, the AFL would get priority for the full game, and MTN would jump out at the first break after the final siren to re-join Nine and the second half of the rugby league (at about 4.50pm). I’m pretty sure this usually happened even if Seven Sydney were taking a 1pm AFL game (generally a Swans or Brisbane Lions home game) - as there would typically be also a 2pm game in Melbourne that Seven would take the second half of.

I definitely saw that with my own eyes on MTN sometime in 1997, just before the second channel started. I’m not entirely sure what the mix between league and AFL was on other days - AFL was on Saturday afternoon as there was no game on Nine then, but I was never up late enough at my relatives to know which footy they took on Friday night (reasonably confident it was the league but couldn’t be sure), or whether they took Saturday night games when played in Sydney prior to Prime starting up (due to the Swans actually being good for once). Of course they would’ve had the Monday night league too, which would’ve been Super League that year.

Although there were many other reasons MTN they chose Prime as their second channel (it effectively was a re-activation of their link to their old Midstate 689 cousins in Orange), as a side effect it also helped untangle that messy clash into 1998 and beyond.

2 Likes

I recall Wagga and also Canberra took Friday night AFL from 8.30pm in the early to mid 90s, though I think Canberra pushed it back to 9.30pm after a few years as it struggled against the rugby league on WIN.

Wagga kept it at 8.30 pretty much until it moved to 7mate I think.

Coffs/Lismore I think also started taking AFL from 9.30 at one point too.

2 Likes

10’s The Fifth Quarter

4 Likes