Sports Broadcasting History

I still remember Speed Channel when I first got Foxtel in Q3 2011

1 Like

This was back when there was just Fox Sports 1/2/3 and Fox Footy (504); Speed was the next channel after that, and Fuel TV (original incarnation) was floating around somewhere too (unsure if it was before or after the ESPN channels but it matters little).

The latter two became Fox Sports 4 and 5 not long after those screencaps (2014?), in the aftermath of their US equivalents being replaced with their own national-cable FS1 and FS2 channels.

That said, of course, Fox Sports 5 (now 506) is still mostly the same thing but without the Speed name.

2 Likes

Round 14, 2000 TV times to go with the '98 and '99 ones I posted a few months ago. Includes C7 coverage from the Sunday to the following Friday.

Melbourne just with 1 Live match, all other capitals with 3-4.

The 10:45pm FNF start in QLD for the Lions is late and probably started just after the League wrapped up on 9.

No SNF of any kind in Syd/ Bri is interesting. Thought it may have been that the Wallabies were playing, but their first match of the year was the week after. The Socceroos played on the Friday and the Monday (not even sure if 7 showed these games or if they were SBS or C7) so couldn’t have been that. Was there some other sport 7 was showing up north? Otherwise maybe Sydney and Brisbane only got SNF if their local side was playing.

Don’t know why Adelaide took Carlton v Geelong live instead of Sydney v Essendon like everyone else. Worked better running into the news maybe?

Again a lot of the regionals got fair better coverage, particularly GWN.

Really want to find a 2001 round, but can only see the grand final guide which essentially just says LIVE everywhere. From 2002 on is fairly well documented.

2 Likes

Fox Footy’s 2002 season promo with William McInnes.
Michael Voss did destroy the camera, and that was left in the final version.

3 Likes

Seven out of eight games on Seven Melbourne and GWN, a far cry from these days getting only 3-4 games out of nine.

2 Likes

Usually a mixture of live and delayed with the Saturday afternoon game live. Home games were on delay

1 Like

That’s crazy to think Perth got every game that round even if most of them were delayed.

1 Like

This video features many different (real or concept) Fox Sports, one HD, NBL and more graphics:

While digitising, I realised that Channel 7 went 30 minutes without an ad break before/during/after Cathy Freeman’s 2000 Olympic race.
Here’s the ad break when they went to it.

9 Likes

I wondered what was on the other TV stations in Melbourne, the moment Cathy Freeman’s race was being broadcast at 8.10pm

ABC: Wallace and Gromit: The Wrong Trousers
SBS: EPL highlights
Ch 9: Friends: The One With the Thumb
Ch 10: Guinness World Records

5 Likes

Given how significant of a moment that was I’m not surprised.

4 Likes

2001 Newsbreak announcing the teams for the AFL Grand Final.
Craig Hutchison

4 Likes

Opening to the 1982 Ashes Series

3 Likes

This is fantastic.

1 Like

Clinton Crybas tkaes viewers on a tour of Fox Footy Studios in 2002

1 Like

Where were the original Fox Footy studios (as seen in that clip) located?

1 Like

Awesome videos @rhettrospective . Do you have anything from seven’s first match back in 2007? Would’ve been coll v nth in the nab cup I think.

1 Like

City Rd South Melbourne. Not sure if the building is still there, a lot of development has taken place in that area.

2 Likes

On reflection this is a nice moment.
Back at the first ever Allan Border Medal telecast in 2000, they organised for 16 of the 17 living Australian Test Captains to attend. (Bradman watched from home)

3 Likes

In 1996, Jack Dyer, Lou Richards and Bob Davis reunited one final time for their iconic League Teams segment.
It was at the 1996 AFL Team of the Century.
This footage is a direct copy from the master tape

2 Likes