Sports Broadcasting History

Some more Channel 10 1980s footy coverage

5 Likes

Channel 10 VFA coverage

2 Likes

Nice find, haven’t seen that before, but not quite the first time 0-10 had Aussie rules coverage.

In 1988 they had the SANFL rights after bringing them across from ADS7 with the affiliation swap in December '87. As an aside, until the mid 1990s state of origin matches were conducted by the Australian National Football Council under the banner of the NFL (National Football League) so rights were often sold outside of the usual rights holders of the state leagues. Channel Nine broadcast the last State of Origin carnival for instance in 1988.

Back to 0-10, ATV originally broadcast VFL in the midd 1960s, but after a season or two switched to the VFA where they were permitted to broadcast live matches in their entirety of Sundays, until the mid 1980s. Commentators included Phil Gibbs, Rob Astbury, a former player by the name of Rex Hunt and some up and comers called Bruce Macaveny and Eddie McGuire. In 1987 Ten held the rights to the VFL in Brisbane and Adelaide (maybe Sydney although I think it was SBS) using the Broadcom broadcasts and also picked up the end of season Foster’s Cup matches in the UK and North America.

Thanks for the trip down the rabbit hole!

Edit: I see you added some more, there’s a lot of VFA stuff in YouTube which is great, if only a bit more presentation is included for the TV nerds.

That 1990 clip though is ABC coverage, they had the rights from 1987 onwards.

2 Likes

2011 NAB Cup Final. Wasn’t shown on Australia Network due to rolling coverage of the 2011 Tohouku earthquake and Tsunami

2 Likes

Who approved this logo?

6 Likes

And as a tease…

4 Likes

Ron Burgundy eat your heart out!

1 Like
6 Likes

In 2010 LCN 40 broadcasted the AFL (Drawn) Grand Final and NRL grand final in 3D. I also remember SBS airing selected World Cup matches in 3D as well.

Nine revived LCN 40 for the 2012 Olympics 3D broadcast which was a daily highlights program.

12 Likes

I said at the time that it was a gimmick and history has proven this. Died almost as quickly as it started.

11 Likes

Very few people owned a 3D TV set with analog TV still existing back then.

4 Likes

Olympics

7 Likes

who owns a 3D TV now?

5 Likes

Me

4 Likes

I guess the next question is, what good is a 3D TV now?

2 Likes

It pretty much fizzled out by 2013 when Foxtel axed their 3D channel (just one year after the most recent FTA trial), while 3D television sets ceased production a good 4-5 years ago now.

The only way 3DTV is ever likely to work: If someone can come up with a way to view the pictures in 3D which doesn’t require you to wear tacky glasses and/or give you headaches & eye strains while watching. But even then, it’s unlikely that a skeptical public is ever likely to buy 3D when it’s been sold to consumers as “the way of the future” since at least the Early 1980s for TV and even longer in cinemas.

Besides, 3D only really enhances certain number of content genres: Sport + certain types of movies and special event programming. Shows like Gogglebox, Old Peoples Home for 4 Year Olds and Love On The Spectrum have proven themselves to be high quality productions in 2D high definition. And would we really want to see Peter Overton or Scott Cam in full 3D? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Surely Digital TV viewership had overtaken analogue TV viewership by 2010?

But yes, not that many would’ve been able to decode the 3DTV channel as far less people had equipment which could decode MPEG4 services back then (compared to now anyway) while even fewer had a 3D television set!

3 Likes

It functions fine as a normal TV (just has a 3D button on the remote) - I think I used the 3d functionality twice

7 Likes

Yeh. Same here. I’ve got a 3-D capable TV, otherwise works fine.

The glasses can be quite sophisticated now. Battery operated - rechargeable via USB.

5 Likes

Aussie Rules historian Rhett Bartlett has been busy digitising a lot of VHS tapes from the 80s and 90s lately.

Here’s a gem of a promo for the ABC’s coverage of the VFL in Victoria for the 1987 season. I think interstate Friday night matches were live from 8:30,often joining around quarter time from Sydney and Brisbane.

Anyone want to guess the music bed?

4 Likes

ZZ Top - Velcro Fly

1 Like