Seven (Southern Cross)

At around 8:45 this evening, Southern Cross in Tasmania aired a Seven News Melbourne update, followed by a ‘special report’ promo for tomorrow’s aforementioned bulletin & a Sunrise Cash Cow promo with the Seven logo before it went back to its own ad feed.

2 Likes

Again, nothing new. This happens quite regularly these days. SCTV lets the metro feed come through for “sneak peek” promos and the occasional Melbourne News updates. At times I’ve seen a Seven News update followed directly by a local SC update. :slightly_smiling_face:

How weird that SC would air news updates from a host and set and a skyline shot that have nothing to do with their audience - and worse still
Run promos for a show they don’t air to their viewers.

As mentioned in the HD Broadcasting thread, I have been told that Southern Cross are set to make an announcement in regards to their main channel HD offering very soon.

Seeing as the 2017 AFL season is almost upon us, here’s hoping it’s up and running in time for the new season Thursday week.

9 Likes

[quote=“KICK-IT, post:292, topic:360, full:true”]
How weird that SC would air news updates from a host and set and a skyline shot that have nothing to do with their audience - and worse still
Run promos for a show they don’t air to their viewers.
[/quote]Depends what this ‘special news report’ promo was about. SC may run with it on their own news tomorrow night. But yes, either way it’s rather odd but clearly when it happens it’s done on purpose as this sort of thing has occurred for quite some time now.

Southern Cross HD coming before 23rd March on channel 60 officially announced on their news tonight.

19 Likes

Which if I’m not mistaken, makes it the first Seven-affiliated regional station to (re)launch a HD simulcast of it’s main channel. :thumbsup:

Prime7 and Seven Queensland, the ball is now in your court! :wink:

15 Likes

When did SCTV originally start simulcasting in HD and did it do breakaway? I presume it stopped when 7mate was launched…

unless prime is up to something ???

I wonder what inspired their new HD logo?

10 Likes

Congratulations to Southern Cross Tasmania.

Wow! An affiliate will be simulcasting in HD before Seven even have HD running on their own O&O markets in Regional QLD. Shame on you Seven!

Is the change to HD for all markets where SC are a 7 affiliate? Because if so, that would mean viewers in the “Remote” QLD market in outback QLD would have 7HD before any of the cities along the east coast (north of Brisbane).

5 Likes

I can imagine the announcement went something along then lines of “and you can enjoy Southern Cross News in crystal clear VHS quality on the new Southern Cross HD” :joy:

7 Likes

Here’s the report. RELAUNCH!!!11

10 Likes

Too bad their local news more than likely won’t be in HD though! :joy:

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:296, topic:360, full:true”]
Which if I’m not mistaken, makes it the first Seven-affiliated regional station to (re)launch a HD simulcast of it’s main channel. :thumbsup:

Prime7 and Seven Queensland, the ball is now in your court! :wink:
[/quote]Who’d have thought! SC leading the way for once. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[quote=“Nick, post:297, topic:360, full:true”]

When did SCTV originally start simulcasting in HD and did it do breakaway? I presume it stopped when 7mate was launched…
[/quote]Back when Seven originally did. Whenever Seven did “breakaway programming” SCTV just resumed showing the scenery loop IIRC (similar to what was shown during ad-breaks on WIN HD back in the day).

[quote=“NQCQTV2, post:301, topic:360, full:true”]Wow! An affiliate will be simulcasting in HD before Seven even have HD running on their own O&O markets in Regional QLD. Shame on you Seven![/quote]Shameful isn’t it?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[quote=“NQCQTV2, post:301, topic:360, full:true”]
Is the change to HD for all markets where SC are a 7 affiliate? Because if so, that would mean viewers in the “Remote” QLD market in outback QLD would have 7HD before any of the cities along the east coast (north of Brisbane).[/quote]Not sure on this. But I would assume that’s the case though.

[quote=“NQCQTV2, post:302, topic:360, full:true”]I can imagine the announcement went something along then lines of “and you can enjoy Southern Cross News in crystal clear VHS quality on the new Southern Cross HD” :joy:
[/quote]Haha. Once they move things may change. Hopefully that relic of a set is finally put into retirement in a museum. :wink:

[quote=“WAtvVideos, post:299, topic:360, full:true”]
I wonder what inspired their new HD logo?[/quote]I can’t really remember what the old HD logo looked like. Not really a fan of this one though.

4 Likes

It certainly looks more interesting than the plain font “HD” that Seven tack onto their watermark. I like how the star overlaps onto the “H” on SC logo.

Yeah, me too!

That it will be in MPEG-4 (no doubt) will have to be explained to the viewers.

[quote=“Nick, post:306, topic:360, full:true”]
It certainly looks more interesting than the plain font “HD” that Seven tack onto their watermark. I like how the star overlaps onto the “H” on SC logo.
[/quote]Really, that wouldn’t be hard though! Seven’s original red/green ‘7HD’ logo a decade ago was very nice. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Southern Cross should’ve launched a brand new logo with this IMO. The star is hideous. :wink:

2 Likes

Your idea version is better. They should’ve had the lines going through the ‘HD’ and it should be red not white which it looks like it will be.

Seems like someone has already updated their Wiki entry (around 25 minutes ago) I wonder if this was you @Nick? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: