HD Broadcasting

The EPG on 7 Sydney has 7HD now mirroring 7mate, not the main channel, with the Women’s AFL to be in HD tonight.

Fortunately, the EPG is wrong!
On screen, 7HD is still the main channel, and the Women’s AFL is SD only.

Phew, but I suspect it won’t stay that way for much longer with the AFL season looming.
Hope I’m wrong.

4 Likes

Is Perth doing the same as Sydney?

Nope, Perth still using the main channel’s EPG.

Probably a glitch, because “7HD Sydney” is running EPG data for main channel programing again.

1 Like

AFL shouldn’t really complain, just wish they get over the HD thing, OK Grand Final needs to be in HD but that’s on the main channel anyway. If you really want HD then Foxtel is the way to go. Always the main channel should be given HD preference rather than a secondary channel.

6 Likes

In case anyone was wondering, I have been told that Southern Cross are set to make an announcement in regards to their main channel HD offering very soon.

Seeing as the 2017 AFL season is almost upon us, here’s hoping it’s up and running in time for the new season Thursday week.

7 Likes

Hopefully they will roll out HD in all their remaining areas. Probably too much to hope that SA and Broken Hill will get 7HD, 9HD and TENHD.

News Breakfast is spruiking a new, big set, but it looks like we still only get to see it in SD on their HD channel.

$90 million upgrade well spent ABC

These people spent 8 weeks making Facebook videos about their big amazing new HD studio - and literally nothing has changed

EP said it would be in HD on Facebook live

Wasn’t the EP. And it is in SD. As predicted.

Well I posted in this thread a few weeks back about WIN doing this in SA and Griffith/MIA and really its the same thing that could apply to SC GTS/BKN

Why can’t they just, instead of having GEM and 7MATE in HD, put NINE and SEVEN in MPEG2 HD and have those other channels downgraded to SD?

Only reasons I can think of that may not allow this:

• A very small group of viewers who still do not have a minimum of MPEG2 HD compatible equipment would not be able to view the main channels, as there would be no second SD channel of the main channels if they were moved to HD in this way
  • Different markets. I don’t know how SC GTS/BKN works but I’m presuming its like WIN where they have two different markets, Riverland and Mount Gambier. There are two feeds for each of the main channels for local ads, but all the other multichannels are one statewide feed
  • It would ‘break’ the numbering order of HD channels:
  • ABC HD is on 20
  • SBS HD is on 30
  • WIN GEM HD / SC ONE HD is on 50
  • WIN / SC 7MATE is on 60
  • WIN HD / SC GEM HD is on 80
1 Like

Yes, there are two markets for GTS/BKN, Port Lincoln and Broken Hill, Whyalla and Port Pirie.

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: Seven HD

[quote=“EyewitnessTV, post:1170, topic:279, full:true”]
In case anyone was wondering, I have been told that Southern Cross are set to make an announcement in regards to their main channel HD offering very soon.
[/quote]This has been confirmed now as launching just in time for the 2017 AFL season on Thursday March 23rd. :+1:

New channeling listing:

SCTV SD: Ch.6/61
SCTV HD: Ch.60
7TWO: Ch.62
7mate: Ch.63
Racing.com: Ch.68

8 Likes

Fantastic to see Southern Cross launching their main channel HD service even before some of Seven’s O&O stations have. :+1:

7 Likes

Too bad they don’t rebrand the multi-channels as SC TWO and SCmate with the star in place of the 7.

I think 7mate is bogan enough without Southern Cross in the name too. :joy:

9 Likes

Wrong way around.
SCA have said they’re primarily a radio company, and have shown they don’t care about having their own TV brand (Nine & Ten in NSW/Vic/Qld), so it’d sooner expect them to rebrand the main channel to SC7 or just 7 instead.

I’m surprised that they haven’t already rebranded SCTV to just Seven, following the Nine and Ten branding everywhere else. They’ve proven with their Nine stations that all they have to do is nothing and they’ll still get great ratings.

Brand loyalty probably has a lot to do with it (look at how slow the ‘NBN → 9NBN → Nine’ transition has been), especially in high-rating Tasmania.

Possibly that and the fact that they have their own news services in Tas and on GTS/BKN. Not sure they’d want to go and produce a bulletin under the 7 News brand, or if 7 would let them.

1 Like