Seven & Ten News (SCA)

I wonder when Southern Cross Tasmania is finally going to get a new set at their main Launceston studios. I’m sure one was promised something like three years ago now! :open_mouth:

1 Like

Nothing was promised was it? I was told by people “in the know” and I heard very strong rumours that they were getting a new one with a complete relaunch around that time, but haven’t heard anything since which is strange. Not sure what’s happening now though unfortunately. :confused:

I’m pretty sure they have/had a new set lying around a couple of years ago so not sure why they’re not using that instead of the current ancient Ten News set.

3 Likes

Maybe they thought “Why should we bother doing anything? We dominate every facet and don’t need to do anything here”. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

They desperately need a new look IMO. And I’m sure you’ll agree, but so does their partner in Channel Seven. Maybe one of them are waiting for the other to make the first move? :grin:

3 Likes

SC have updated their closer to a similar style to that of their newspaper promo

4 Likes

And they need to fix their website as http://sctvnews.com.au leads nowhere, but
http://www.sctvnews.com.au is correct.

When they mention their website on-air they direct their viewers to the correct address in www.sctvnews.com.au, so it shouldn’t really be an issue. The other link you provided used to go to their old ‘Newsfeed’ website which has since been taken down and now as you said leads to a broken dead-end link.

I’m surprised they don’t direct their viewers to their various social media pages as well (they use Facebook, Twitter and even Instagram) to gain extra traffic on them.

Rare for the news bulletin to come from the Newsroom, but it’s happened a couple of times before. I think one was when Jo was in Hobart for the Hobart Cup one year and it was done from there.

From memory I think it might have been done from there a couple of weekends ago too as the voiceover at the beginning was Peter Murphy which always sounds different. Can’t remember.

Sport is usually done from there especially of a weekend with either Chris Rowbottom (who I think is actually engaged to Lucy Breaden from WIN News) and the other lady who I can’t remember the name at the moment but is the one pictured there. Sport always has a split screen prior to the break with “Studio” and “News Room” to show that it’s from the other side. Otherwise they just have the news and sports presenters right next to each other, Chris Mitchell is on when it’s done locally.
Weather is harder to tell as the graphics are the same no matter where it’s from but I’d be guessing it’s whenever Peter Murphy, Lee Dixon or Laura Moore present it’s from Launceston and whenever Matt Newell is on it’s from Hobart.

As for the studio, I read a couple of months ago that Southern Cross Launceston is wanting to relocate so that would likely present a new opportunity for a new set.

1 Like

[quote=“ando9185, post:210, topic:239, full:true”]
Rare for the news bulletin to come from the Newsroom, but it’s happened a couple of times before. I think one was when Jo was in Hobart for the Hobart Cup one year and it was done from there.[/quote]Jo has presented from the newsroom on Melbourne Cup day for the last couple of years from memory. And it has been presented from the Hobart studios on two weekends so far this year (both times with Katelyn Barry as Rachel has had the weekend off).

From memory I think it might have been done from there a couple of weekends ago too as the voiceover at the beginning was Peter Murphy which always sounds different. Can’t remember.
[/quote]Yep. The voiceover used is Pete. I actually prefer the original voiceover used every other time (but I’m probably in the minority on this!).

Sport is usually done from there especially of a weekend with either Chris Rowbottom (who I think is actually engaged to Lucy Breaden from WIN News) and the other lady who I can’t remember the name at the moment but is the one pictured there. Sport always has a split screen prior to the break with “Studio” and “News Room” to show that it’s from the other side. Otherwise they just have the news and sports presenters right next to each other, Chris Mitchell is on when it’s done locally.
Weather is harder to tell as the graphics are the same no matter where it’s from but I’d be guessing it’s whenever Peter Murphy, Lee Dixon or Laura Moore present it’s from Launceston and whenever Matt Newell is on it’s from Hobart.[/quote]Yes, Chris regularly presents the sport from the Hobart newsroom in front of a different background image to the usual newsroom one you see above on the weekends (last weekend he was obviously in the Launcston studios as Katelyn was in the newsroom instead). And I think the only time the weather is done from Hobart is when Matt is on otherwise it’s from Launceston. It can be harder to tell whether the weather is from Hobart or Launceston but the main difference I notice is when from Hobart the graphics are slightly less washed out.

I actually came across this “behind the scenes” snippet of Matt presenting the weather that he shared last year: https://mobile.twitter.com/mattsnewell/status/577032373105078272/video/1

Plus a screenshot of the standing position:

As for the studio, I read a couple of months ago that Southern Cross Launceston is wanting to relocate so that would likely present a new opportunity for a new set.[/quote]This was reported on in the Examiner earlier in the year. No mention of when exactly it was to take place.

There’s also this shot of the Launnie studio I came across some time ago:

6 Likes

wow that studio equipment is ancient!

4 Likes

And that desk lol

I think you will find they are still using analogue back end equipment in Launceston. The picture quality is surprisingly good really but you can easily tell especially with the line scanning and chasing dots that appear.

3 Likes

Sam Hunt filling in for Tim Hatfield at the moment. Tim is currently on leave.

[quote=“Alista, post:214, topic:239, full:true”]
I think you will find they are still using analogue back end equipment in Launceston. The picture quality is surprisingly good really but you can easily tell especially with the line scanning and chasing dots that appear.[/quote]Yep. The quality is reasonable I guess. But whenever there is any reasonably fast movement etc. the quality tends to degrade considerable, which is understandable considering the age of all the equipment they’re still using. Now, those annual “Give Me 5 For Kids” Telethon segments they put to air are of pretty shocking quality indeed. Granted, they’re only short segments that air on one day, but they’re that bad that I’d be totally embarrassed for them to go to air at all.

They need to upgrade/relaunch everything ASAP. What are they waiting for?!

$$$$$$$$$

1 Like

Southern Cross are the #1 network in Tassie, by a mile. They shouldn’t be short of a dollar.

4 Likes

I’ll forgive you, but pure laziness is what you were meaning to write there. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I guess the old saying of “if ain’t broke, don’t fix it” seems to be their position on this matter at this time. Such a shame WIN don’t provide some real competition to them as it might give SC motivation to actually refresh things.

Aside from the 500 million of them going to Nine

4 Likes

All of the money that SC Tasmania makes may not be available for them to spend. Plus, with SC having such a big lead over WIN, there’s no real incentive to invest.

1 Like

SA News being bumped for Olympics coverage:

At least they are still showing local news.

1 Like