Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

Is it just me or is the music on the regional Triple M stations worst on the weekends?

2 Likes

Some of the concepts they have in playing things like an 80s weekend are good, but they still retain the narrow playlist. They can claim they’re unflogged songs because they’re only played once a fortnight if lucky. The only difference really is that we can put up with 2 hours of country music on Sunday mornings, because whilst I’m not a massive country fan at least 90% of those songs won’t be flogged to death.

2 Likes

Just every time I switched the dial to Triple M over this weekend they were either playing Keith Urban new one or The Rubens ft. Sarah- Never Ever followed by some cheap 90’s pop song.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/nicwkelly/status/1098447947434319875

Not sure if it’s really a new name when (for obvious reasons) only the “Tonight” part has been dropped, but I suppose it’s good that SCA are still running the program.

Mind you, with the move to Sunday mornings I’m surprised they haven’t rolled it out to the entire Hit Regional network.

I think the Regional Hit network stations should drop the Hits & Old School format & go with the More Music, More Variety format which 2Day FM & Hit 107 use, although Hit 107 don’t play as many 80’s hits as 2Day FM do, probably due to the fact they don’t want to sound exactly the same as competitor Mix 102.3.

5 Likes

I agree mate. If they went down this path Triple M would have to drop their Feel Shit format as the music format would be too similar.

More Music, More Variety music format on Hit and a rock leaning AC format on Triple M would be perfect for the regionals :slight_smile:

5 Likes

And that would mean no more hearing Tay Tay or Katy Perry on Regional Triple M network!

4 Likes

I don’t mind hearing of bit of pop slanted new music on the heritage (Triple M) stations as most of them have always played a bit of this.

But with the “Feels Good” log, there’s just too much of it. It sounds too much like a HIT lite.

1 Like

Been listening to the Triple M regionals a bit today (Newcastle and 2GO) and the music seems to have improved.

Not as much of the newer stuff that you’d hear on Hit, and more what was being played on the old Greatest Hits log.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Ah that’s good. Both very good DAB stations.

Thanks, that’s interesting as to why not the other DAB stations available elsewhere eg. Triple M Aussie. Spectrum limitations?

It appears they have to wait 12 months before the excess spectrum can be sold to themselves and Grant. Is that correct?

2 Likes

Looking at the DAB+ radio ratings in the 5 major cities, MMM Classic Rock is, by far, the most popular of SCA’s DAB+ stations with 239,000 listeners, with Easy Hits their (distant) 2nd most popular with 169,000 listeners.

Also, those two stations offer music formats that are not covered by the local commercial stations, and would therefore greatly improve the radio listening choices available in Hobart. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Do you know what the ratings are for Old Skool Hits radio are?

It’s the 3rd most popular of the SCA DAB+ stations with 145,000 listeners.

1 Like

How is MMM Country rating? Love the station…but that’s me.

It’s the lowest rating of the SCA DAB+ stations, with only 73,000 listeners.

1 Like

You’d think MMM Country would most likely be culled if SCA decides they (again) need to reposition their DAB+ lineup?

Either way, SCA have probably made a good choice by introducing their two most popular (and likely also two most different compared to the market’s existing commercial stations) DAB+ stations to Hobart first.

2 Likes