Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

For some odd reason, none of the 4 Newcastle & Central Coast SCA stations are running “Now Playing” RDS info at the moment.

Must be a program output issue from the Gold Coast hub?

1 Like

Same here - none of the SCA stations in regional Qld seem to have song/artist info incl Gold Coast.

1 Like

The Triple M Greatest Hits stream are again running the ‘Eggscelent 80s’ stunt this long weekend

1 Like

Can anyone working inside SCA tell me why the regionals opt out of Luke Bona at 5:30 instead of going through until 6. I understand if they have a breakfast show to get to but in KOFM’s case and like many others these start at 6. So they just opt out to go to music at 5:30, the only reason I could see why is a local news bulletsin at 5:30 but I don’t think that’s enough reason not to take the rest of the show.

CQ went until 6 this morning

KOFM goes until 5:30 then replays a segment from Tanya & Steve.

A market as big as Newcastle with shift workers too should be live at 5am and 5:30am at the latest with traffic reports and local news from 5am.

1 Like

I just don’t like how there’s half an hour where there is just a replay, where you could use that time more efficiently.

1 Like

Of course it can be done and should be done. It’s a well resourced, competitive market.

Just because Caralis doesn’t invest, doesn’t mean the ad dollars can’t go elsewhere, three tv stations, one paid newspaper, multiple smaller paid and free newspapers + their online arms and online advertising.

1 Like

Well there is at least 2 or 3 more adblocks with Luke Bona and a similar amount with Tanya & Steve. And the listener is more likely to be engaged with these ads. I half think they don’t even realise it goes the extra half hour but anyway.

1 Like

No, it’s simply a case of giving early morning drivers a local news update at 5.30 and 2-3 “best bits” of T&S to sample. It’s a competitive marketplace, why not get people to sample your breakfast show instead of just “what’s making news with Hugh Finnane” that they do in the 5.30 half-hour at MMM.

Would prefer live talk/newsy show over recycled breaks any day.

As the cranky man said I’m sure most people don’t want old recycled breaks from yesterday/last week. I believe KOFM and a lot of other SCA regionals do the same are great stations but make some strange calls with small things.

1 Like

17.8%… number 1 breakfast show by a mile… 4% above station average… yep, we make some strange calls. Mike Byrne

1 Like

I never said it wasn’t? It is the best breakup show in Newcastle, possibly the best across all regional markets but that’s not what we were on about.

I popped the question of that half hour block between 5:30 and 6:00 which has 2 or 3 replayed breaks and why that was the case.

And those strange calls remark was surrounding various other elements around programming and I would say more than half are out of your control (hence why I said “and other SCA stations”) but I’m speaking from a Newcastle point of view from when I first asked the question.

1 Like

Exactly, but never expect a straight answer, all I’ve read in reply have been parallel arguments from Mark and Mike.

1 Like

Announcer job in Bundy:

So who has left or is this new local shift? (shock horror)

‘a temp location for this position will be expected’, so they still don’t disclose that it’s Townsville even to job applicants.

So they’ve finally decided that they need to a have a local studio!

They will probably tell them that “it’s a short drive away”’’… I recall they did something like that on an ad for a job in WA when it was actually based in Townsville, and it said “a short drive away”… can’t recall exactly what ad now though.

1 Like

As mentioned on the “Random Radio” thread, Triple M Fraser Coast has flipped over from Classic Hits to the Greatest Hits from 70s to Now format.

This leaves the Mid North Coast station as the only FM station on the Triple M Network to maintain a Classic Hits format.

1 Like