Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

It’ll be interesting to see how Maryborough and Hervey Bay likes the younger format, 4MB has always skewed very old, from its days owned by Alberts through RG Capital and its successors to SC Austereo.

2 Likes

Yeah tell me about it. Although 4MB weren’t anywhere near as bad as 4BU during the 70s and 80s, when I was growing up there I found myself listening to 4GY particularly in the early to mid 80s

1 Like

I see that there a ad for Breaky Presenter for the Goulburn Valley(Shepparton). Has Shaunee left or is this a replacement for Locco?

Seany is still their Breakfast announcer mate. I heard a one staged Hit GV were looking for a Breakfast announcer.

Unless the position has since been filled, one would imagine that Hit 96.9 Goulburn Valley are probably also looking for a new mornings presenter with Gemma Maddox recently moving to the afternoon shift on Hit 104.7 Canberra? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tuned in to Hit96.9 briefly the other morning and I daresay this would be why…
After only a few months the new brekky duo is down to one - talk about déjà vu!

4 Likes

Firstly, what were Thom and Elly doing before Hit GV?

Who is the Thom bloke and where to/why has he left?

As for Elly, could someone give her some fashion tips? That top is a disaster!

Elly was the breakfast panel op at Nova 93.7.

Thom was previously at Fresh 92.7 and was an audio producer at ARN Adelaide. He’s also a musician and featured in Triple J Unearthed a few years ago. His socials still say that he’s doing breakfast at Hit GV, so I guess they haven’t been updated yet.

2 Likes

I was going through the southwest of WA the other day, and on the way back I thought I’d check out the local radio.

My car doesn’t have a scan function for AM, so I couldn’t listen to Triple M, but I got Hit Network on FM perfectly well, all the way to at least the Pinjarra servo when I switched back to DAB+.

The station(s) is branded as ‘Hit FM’. Not ‘Hit Southwest’, not ‘Hit 95.3’. Just Hit FM, except in the occasional ad which was branded as ‘Hit Southwest’, and even a few ‘Hit Hit FM’. It seems like they use the same music signal across many regions, just with localised ads. Is it like that elsewhere?

Speaking of ads, if Harvey Norman closed down, surely SCA isn’t far behind! Every single ad break had at least two HN spots. There were also quite a few sports for SCA themselves, either recruiting sales people, or selling ads, even ad giveaways.

They are still very heavy on the ‘hits and old school’ branding, ie ‘Netflix and chill? No, hits and old school’, or ‘hits and old school, name a more iconic duo’ and other memes. Didn’t hear a lot of old school music though.

There also seemed to be a lot of playout issues, with an ‘announcer’ voice track quite often crashing into a song halfway through.

2 Likes

I daresay because the exact same broadcast, ads and all, are on relay into Collie, Margaret River, Bridgetown and Nannup.

1 Like

This is a common problem with most regional Hit FM stations. Its quite annoying.

2 Likes

Agree, it is annoying & it sounds unprofessional.

3 Likes

2BS & B-Rock in Bathurst are set to become owned by Southern Cross Austereo.

Ron and Stephanie Camplin, owners of 2BS and BRock Bathurst, are likely to sell their stations in the near future.

radioinfo sources say a sale is imminent, perhaps as early as tomorrow.

The most likely buyer is thought to be Southern Cross Austereo.

Read more at: https://radioinfo.com.au/news/bathurst-broadcasters-sale

A bit sad they are rebranding them. B-Rock is also one of the stations that takes the NightShift.

Looking at their scheduling, they’ve already got a lot of Triple M shows, The chasers is on the weekends and KENNEDY MALLOY IS ACTUALLY LIVE.

1 Like

That is a shame. Surely they could’ve found someone else to sell to?

As someone who lived in Bathurst for 3 years, Bathurst Broadcasters did a decent job of providing local programming. Now SCA will piss that up against the wall.

Why couldn’t they keep the 2BS branding and call B-Rock FM Triple M. At least B-Rock sounds a lot like Triple M and would be a perfect match.

5 Likes

To be fair, 2BS hasn’t really been local since 2011, when they introduced Ray Hadley, Alan Jones & Chris Smith into its programming, which airs from 9am to 3pm weekdays, leaving only breakfast & drive as being local. At least the Grant stations such as 2NM are more local than 2BS is these days.

Is there any overlap between the orange and Bathurst licences?

15% population overlap

my prediction: 2BS will be Triple M (because they already carry Hadley and Jones, and Triple M shows such as Kennedy Molloy will move) and B-Rock will be Hit.

1 Like

I’ve been waiting for this, it comes as no surprise.

I am not surprised but still disappointed that the Camplins did not plan any succession options.

No interest from Lithgow’s owners or their fellow family broadcasters, Janet and family?

Wonder what will come of their shareholding in the placeholder commercial licence in Ballarat on AM?

1 Like