Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

Under my proposal, the Hit Network to carry the Adult CHR/Hot AC format would be in the following markets:

Atherton
Charters Towers (not owned by SCA, but is programmed by them)
Mt Isa
Emerald
Kingaroy
Roma
Maryborough
Toowoomba
Port Macquarie
Wagga
Griffith
Mt Gambier
All Regional WA markets

Those above markets either have:

• No commercial FM competition
  • Where Triple M carry the Classic Hits format.

Therefore, having Hit with a separate log for the above markets carrying a Adult CHR/Hot AC format would make sense, in which it would skew slightly older than Hit stations in larger regional markets.

3 Likes

Understand your idea now. Attention should also be paid to alternative programming where markets overlap such as Coffs/Port, Bendigo/Shep etc.

I believe in areas like Cairns, Mackay and Rockhampton the Triple M’s should go more Rock. When I was up there you had Hit and Star sounding the same while Triple M and the AM stations playing the same type of music. I have notice that the music on Triple M up there have gone very female skewed. These areas have 4 commercial radio station and there was no choice. On the other hand I can say Townsville has it right.

6 Likes

Right idea and I agree.

What matters is that Mickey Maher and his brains trust disagrees and deem that pushing out the network log on these stations is ‘good enough’. It’s a network, there’s a lot of stations which make money to varying degrees and attention to detail, market by market attention is not their interest.

1 Like

Not a bad list but i’d remove Toowoomba from it on 2 counts, 1. River 94.9 as it belts in and 2. 4AK even with the fact it’s on AM

2 Likes

And who listens to 4AK?

Best result 1.4% share in bfast with cume of 8 000.

Very sad, result of no marketing and no deviation from network format. Run the whole thing out of a computer on site, and remind the right people that radio exists on AM 1242.

http://www.radioalive.com.au/RA/media/General/Documents/Surveys%20for%20Regional/TOOWOOMBA-XTRA-RESEARCH-PUBLIC-SURVEY-RESULT-WITH-CUME.pdf?ext=.pdf

Yes, River would’ve done much better than this, likely the reason that 4GR’s share is so soft, along with the lack of investment in GR bfast with no hiring of a duo and no marketing.

And I forgot, GR beaten by WK at night. Graham Gilbert :crazy_face:

More popular than the music piped in from Gold 92.5 plus that woeful talk show that left Christian Argenti up the creek without a paddle with no proper direction in how to do a talk show.

3 Likes

Just quickly on 4AK (cause this is a SCA thread), around 8 or so years ago that went with a slightly older format and all automated out of Toowoomba.

For some reason, they went back to the lazy ‘take the FM network feed’ approach.

3 Likes

I would throw Hobart into the same category as the above 3 QLD cities, in which the local Triple M should go with a more rock-skewed format, as Hit & 7HO are musically quite similar to one another, even though the latter plays more from the 80s & 90s than the former.

1 Like

Totally agree about 4AK. Such a lot of Top 40/Rock heritage in that station from the 70s and 80s. Why wouldn’t they just run it independently and as you say, remind people that 1242 exists. A lot of people on the Darling Downs would listen if it had a decent AC/Classic Hits format and drew on its heritage. I used to spend a lot of time in Toowoomba and the Downs in the mid to late 80s and everyone under 25 was on 1242AM

4 Likes

Could we have the new 2DAY fm Format for Triple M Hobart/Heart/Magic…

And could we have the Heart or Magic name back please…if 2GO and Gold can have their own name, Hobart is surly big enough…

4 Likes

Agree with reverting back to Heart or Magic brand for Hobart, but the 2DAY format is probably a bit too close to the HIT format in a market of only 3 commercials when they are also co-owned.

2 Likes

What’s happened to Tommy Casha on Goulburn Valley’s Hit 96.9 breakfast?

Why is he no longer on there?

1 Like

He moved back home to Melbourne in October citing some family issues that required him to be closer to family.

2 Likes

First day of my road trip through Qld,started in Cairns this morning ,now in Townsville, I was listening to Triple M Cairns for a while,it was like a cross between Triple M Brisbane and 97.3.the playlist wasn’t too bad not all rock but later when I was further away from Cairns I listened to my own tunes from my iPhone

2 Likes

I think they were on their normal log from today. I did notice Triple M GV were on their normal 70’s to now log today as last week they were on the Gold Coast log.

Looking at Online Radio Box, and comparing it with Triple M Albury & Gold FM Gold Coast, the 70s to now log only goes until 1pm, with the Gold Coast log taking over after that. That would mean the Orange & Coffs Harbour stations would only take the 70s to now log from 5:30-9am weekdays, as they take Ray Hadley from 9am to 12pm, with the Gold Coast log played after that.

Who is ‘they’?

Triple M Cairns mate, unless they take the Gold Coast log full time.

1 Like

That’s sad for Tommy Casha, he’s a good talent, good future.

1 Like

Definitely, Jess & Tommy were a great duo on Hit GV last year. Great to see Jess Farchione moving up the ranks to Newcastle after winning Best Newcomer On-air & no doubt Tommy will find his feet again.

No word on their replacements yet, just on-air promos stating a new show is coming soon.

2 Likes