Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

Oh, it’s one of those cities where the racing station is still technically a commercial station? That makes sense. I’d just presumed 3SR FM converted and Sun FM was a s.39, but by @crankymedia 's talk above it sounds like Sun was a totally new licence. Should do my homework next time!

Yes, 3BT Ballarat is the other regional VIC market where RSN is operating on a commercial licence with no local programming.

I believe RSN came to an agreement with the ACMA to operate them this way as they are apparently not making any money on it and are doing it as a community service, or something like that.

945 Bendigo, also RSN, is a HPON, so is not subject to those requirements.

1 Like

I am surprised that the company who owned the Easymix stations didn’t get hold of the old 3SR and 3BT frequency’s.

2 Likes

Well, look up the control list of directors, esp for 3BT. Janet convinced her regional radio proprietor buddies to buy the licence to stave off competition. RSN lease it and great, no real competition. All done at a time when the 'Rat didn’t have a local ABC either.

The old 3BO spot is a HPON as 3CV was amalgamated into the Bendigo licence area as the third commercial licence.

Back to Shep, 3SR AM was the incumbent. Licence applications saw Sun FM born, then in ABA times, second FM commercial offered for auction which the JV of RG Capital and SR/Sun bought.

The local half of the JV did well out of the MMG now SXL listing, finally paid out their half in shares.

For some reason, transparency is one of them, listed companies don’t like JVs and other subsid structures as they need their own line in the accounts, so the punters see too much (why the hell go public then I say).

Yes, SR/Sun are an easy catch in Narrandera. Unfortunately now, little difference in programming to the other SCA markets. 3NE makes in well during the day, after that west, 2QN or 774 ABC Melb is quite good outside the EMF hubbub of towns west of Wagga onwards. 5RM comes in good from Hay west, mostly automated music after midday.

A photo of the One FM building shows a 8 element FM antenna directed towards Melb, so the signal is there but beyond most setups.

Racing licences don’t have the same regional requirements as normal commercial stations:

https://www.acma.gov.au/Industry/Broadcast/Radio/Local--regional-content/regional-local-content-protections

https://www.acma.gov.au/Industry/Broadcast/Media-ownership-and-control/Ownership-and-control-rules/media-reform-local-content-and-local-presence-requirements-for-commercial--------radio-fact-sheet

http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewdoc/au/legis/cth/consol_act/bsa1992214/s8af.html

4 Likes

Thanks for the detailed response. So SR never did an FM conversion per se, but purchased the auctioned FM licence - explains it, and why 1260 stays on air as a commercial

And yeah, driving the Newell it is still handy that 3SR (sorry, MMM Shep) gets out so far. 2RG carries a different log so it adds a bit of variety, at least until 2GZ from Orange can be received (I believe carrying the same log as SR?) At least it means there’s generally 1-2 varieties of adult music receivable almost halfway up to Brisbane until Bill’s talk stations take over the dial

5 Likes

As I recall, 3SR was owned by the Fairley Family. When the two stations rule came in, they did a deal with RG Capital to create a JV with SUN-FM. This was because they were struggling to match an FM in the profit stakes in a regional town. The later ACMA auction resulted in a second FM licence in the area, which the JV bought - converted the 3SR brand to FM and flogged the AM station to 3UZ/Racing Victoria. Again protecting the profits. As Crankymedia points out, with the MMG listing the Fairley Family did well.

Its interesting that Victoria seems to have limited competition in the regional markets with 3 stations, especially given there are no FM/AM dual operations:

Albury/Wodonga - SCA own Hit/MMM (Star/ The River). The AM brand of 2AY converted to FM and reverted to AM now as an ACE relay of 3AW.

Ballarat - Grant own 3BA/Power. As noted above, the AM Station is a RSN relay.
Shepparton - SCA own Hit/MMM (Star/3SR). As noted above, the AM Stations is a RSN relay.

Bendigo - SCA own Hit/MMM (Star/3BO). Grant have Gold1071 (previously EasyMix) with an FM booster in Bendigo for the old 3CV frequency.
Mildura - SCA own Hit/MMM (Star/3MA-SUN) with the old 3MA frequency now Grant owned River1467 (previously Easymix)

Personally, struggle to understand how Mildura could profitably operate three stations and Geelong still only have two licencees - but I understand it was more to do with politics at the time working against one family that owned 3MA and STV8. Grant are very lucky in Geelong. IMHO I think the old 3GL frequency should have been maintained as a commercial licence …

2 Likes

It’s a similar story in NSW:

Orange - SCA own Hit/MMM (Star/2GZ), with the old 2GZ frequency now BOG owned 2EL, which is mostly a relay of 2SM/2HD.
Kempsey/Port Macquarie - SCA own Hit/MMM (Star/2MC), with the old 2MC frequency now BOG owned 2PM, which is mostly a relay of 2SM/2HD, and has an FM repeater for Port Macquarie.
Coffs Harbour - SCA own Hit/MMM (Star/2CS), with the old 2CS frequency now BOG owned 2HC, which is mostly a relay of 2SM/2HD.

After 2GZ, 2MC & 2CS moved to FM, the above AM licences used to carry Easy Listening before BOG bought them in 2005 & turned them into talk stations, therefore depriving listeners in those licence areas of a 3rd commercial music station.

Off-Topic, but I would say the same thing for the old 2WL frequency in Wollongong, which would provide a music format that is completely different from i98 & Wave, who are practically sounding the same to one another.

2 Likes

I guess one thing that helps Mildura and is obviously a major issue for Geelong is overspill from adjacent areas.

There is very little of it into Mildura and a lot of it into Geelong from Melbourne.

Yes, 1341 would have been good for a 3rd commercial licence.

The ACMA did consider allocating 96.3 as a 3rd commercial licence in the early 2000s, but it ended up being a community licence.

INXS ROCKERS TIM AND KIRK PRESENT THE BEST OF AUSTRALIAN MUSIC WITH OZTOBER LIVE ON THE REGIONAL TRIPLE M NETWORK

Legendary INXS rockers Tim Farriss and Kirk Pengilly return to the airwaves this October when they present ‘OzTober Live with Tim and Kirk’.

Beginning October 3 and broadcast across 32 stations on the regional Triple M Network, Tim and Kirk’s one hour lunch time show will form part of Triple M’s ‘OzTober’ campaign, a month-long celebration of everything great about Oz music.

From Kylie Minogue to Cold Chisel, Natalie Imbruglia to Icehouse, Tim and Kirk are set to explore the stories and artists behind some of Oz music’s most recognisable songs.

Throughout the month, the duo will share their unique insight and behind the scene knowledge as they provide the inside scoop on legendary gigs, songs that shaped the industry, and the artists that tore down barriers and conquered the globe.

The INXS stars, who made their radio debut with a week of shows last December, are thrilled be back in the saddle.

“I don’t get to hang out as much with my mate Kirk these days,” Tim Farriss said. “So when I was asked if I’d like to spend lunch with him every day for a month co-hosting Oztober I said; Hell no! I’d LOVE to! I haven’t seen his lunch box since high school!!"

Kirk Pengilly said: “After years of being at the mercy of radio DJ’s to play our music, my best mate Tim and I can now tell them all to get …. Because we’re going play whatever the hell we want, including lots of INXS! Watch out Triple M, we’re taking over lunch during Oztober with lots of stories, great Aussie music and general INXS-ness!!”

More iconic artists will take to the chair as guest hosts throughout the month, including the likes of Hunters and Collectors’ Mark Seymour, Diesel, Screaming Jets front-man Dave Gleeson and Mark Gable from the Choirboys.

OzTober will finish with a bang in an exclusive concert available only to Triple M Club members, which will feature some of the very best in Aussie music along with a few lucky Triple M club members.

Join “OzTober Live with Tim and Kirk” weekdays from 12pm on the Triple M Network, beginning from October 3.

No doubt thanks to pressure from Grant. 96.3 (literally 96three is the name) is yet another Christian music station that is automated for a large part of the day and lacks much connection to the actual community. Waste of a high powered licence.

4 Likes

Similar situation in Maryborough/Hervey Bay in Qld where they sold the original commercial licence 1161 to TAB effectively creating a duopoly there too. It shouldn’t be allowed. ACMA have failed if they let that happen to a market that should have 3 proper commercial broadcasters.

Bill Caralis initially bought 103.5, but failed to get the station to air within the required 12 months, and so had to onsell the licence to what is now SCA, which allowed 4MB to convert.

Under Caralis, 103.5 was going to be called “The Heat”, the name of his networked shows at the time.

Yes nearby 96.1 in Gympie was already on air as The Heat. It would have been a pretty powerful combo with both 96.1 and 103.5 on air as The Heat from Sunshine Coast through to Wide Bay.
96.1 went to air even before Sea FM Maryborough and I recall hearing The Heat on in shops in Maryborough before Sea launched.

1 Like

The coverage of 5kW off Mt Canobolas is far reaching. Does it operate in reality with an OD array?

Any good community stations with a music format? Paradise FM does a good job for much of the Lismore licence area for those in Ballina, Byron and the plateau.

Rob is spot on with his whole post, he must’ve lived and breathed some of the era.

The problem began with Caralis. Bill’s top bid for FM 103.5 was $700 000 on 25/11/98. He delayed and delayed on air commencement due to wanting to shift the TX to Goonaneman (the Wide Bay TV site). ABA refused due to overspill to too many markets. Bill did not buy the Bundaberg licence which may have made some difference but there was still Jowitt’s remote licence which would’ve have suffered overspill from 103.5 (Goonaneman is within the remote area).

Eventually gave up as ABA refused the application and subsequent negotiation and offloaded to RG Capital (now SCA).

@Brianc68 is right, ACMA shouldn’t let it happen, however, there’s nothing in the BSA for them to administer this. Govt or Senate need lobbying and most cross benchers don’t care, understand nor live in regional areas.

2 Likes

From the “Canberra - Survey 3, 2017” thread:

By a similar token, the regional “Triple M Network” station in both of the above markets, Gold FM & 2GO respectively, which carry the “Greatest Hits from the 80s, 90s & Now” format, have also fallen in the ratings compared to a year ago.

Gold Coast (GfK Survey 2, 2017, comparing with Survey 2, 2016)

StationOverallYoY Trend40-54YoY Trend55-64YoY Trend
Gold FM10.9%-1.8%15.4%-1.8%14.9%-4.8%
Hot Tomato17.1%+5.1%26.5%+7.4%16.7%+5.1%

Central Coast (Xtra Insights Survey 1, 2017, comparing with Survey 1, 2016)

StationOverallYoY Trend40-54YoY Trend55-64YoY Trend
2GO11.7%-2.0%15.7%-3.0%15.1%-3.2%
Star 104.517.3%+3.3%21.9%+1.2%10.7%+1.9%

NB. YoY = Year on Year

It’s interesting to note that the Triple M stations that carry the “Classic Hits” format have risen in the ratings compared to last year in Port Macquarie, Maryborough, Albany & Kalgoorlie, the last two of which carried the “Greatest Hits from the 70s to Now” format at the time of their respective surveys last year.

1 Like

Did Triple M in Cairns and Mackay which carry the “Greatest Hits from the 80’s, 90’s and Now” format have good rises in the last survey that they were in?

1 Like

Yes they did, whilst at same time, its commercial FM competitor, Star, went down.

3 Likes

They don’t run a rock format any longer?

In the larger markets, no wonder the 40+ station has gone down, the format be it Newy, Gold Coast, Gosford or Canberra has displaced a large slice of their audience due to kneejerk programming shifting too young. Lost their older audience, cannibalising the younger. But hey, Mickey and co know best don’t they?

2 Likes

Overall I can understand SCA moving Hit towards pop and Triple M to rock, but that only works where they have both in a market, and yes Canberra is in a weird situation with SCA programming both Hit104.7 & Mix106.3.
Mix106.3 may take a lot of the Triple M network programming but it definitely isn’t a rock station.

1 Like

True…Last time when I was in Canberra, music on Mix106.3 sounded very much like Brisbane 97.3FM