Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

Doubt anyone wants that tbh.

4 Likes

I reckon I heard Miley Cyrus’ vomit inducing Malibu 3 times in 4 hours on at least 2 nights last week.

2 Likes

What’s Christian Argentti doing now days, TBTN left very quietly.

2 Likes

Not missing that show. He plays in a band, Invertigo days long behind him however.

1 Like

Gday Guys,

I have had the painful experience listening to Hit 96.9 over the last two day. I have notices that they are cutting a lot of songs off and talking over the songs way before the song finishes. It is really bad in the morning and early afternoon. As well their playlist has got a lot more narrower. I swear you hear the same hit songs every 2 hours. ( All you hear now is pop and R&B hits and no rock) One of the guys at the work place that I was working at said it has got really bad in the last 6 months. (They are made to have Hit on one week and Triple M for the other) Has anyone else noticed this with the other Regional Hit Network station?

3 Likes

In Melb, so haven’t heard for a while. Such as shame as 969 used to be a great station. GOulburn Valleys 96.9 SUn FM. Used to have a fanatic playlist back in the day with great announcers

3 Likes

They were the days mate :slight_smile:

It’s terrible on both stations. The difference is that (s)HIT plays the same songs once every 2-3 hours, when the fake MMM plays the same songs in a different order once a day.

6 Likes

Back to the over formatted days of DMG regional.

Sun FM 96.9 Shep was a welcome change to Albury or Bendigo.

3 Likes

I can remember travelling up from Melbourne and it was totally random radio, everything from new to old stuff you would never hear in Melbourne, loved it. Announcers Where names like Vinny Shannon, Brendan Barnes, Dave Williams, Daniel Gunn and many many more.

5 Likes

now ‘Dangerous Dave’ at Triple M Melbourne: also did time at ZZZ Lismore if I’m not mistaken.

2 Likes

also played a lot of stuff that in other areas you’d only hear on JJJ (that was before JJJ was rolled out in regional areas including Shepparton, which was the beginning of the end for Sun FM in their original format).

Speaking of SUN FM, does anyone know what was the rationale behind them switching from 107.7 to 96.9?

Correct. A brush with Chris Lodge as the Lismore GM like many great announcers have experienced.

1 Like

because of ABGV3 and AMV4 still transmitting on these frequencies. Once they moved to ABGV40 and AMV11, it cleared the band for Sun FM to move to 96.9 (which is roughly halfway between the sound frequencies of channels 3 and 4).

2 Likes

Thanks!

Did that mean that they had better coverage on 96.9 as a result ie. was the power on 107.7 limited to protect eg 3SHI at Swan Hill?

From what I understand, Sun FM moving from 107.7 to 96.9 happened a few years before Mixx FM (3SHI) Swan Hill went to air, which the latter happened in September 1997 (20 years ago this month).

2 Likes

This was long before that s.39 went to air. SUN didn’t operate on that freq for very long and as stated, all about Band II TV allocations.

Shep has always been a very competitive market, applications for the FM licence were hotly contested, 3SR naturally unhappy and like their other incumbent, GMV-6, not adept at dealing with competition.

Sun went downhill when 3SR hit trouble and they bought 3SR out. Then came the third commercial licence and instead of competition (again hotly contested), brought RG Capital (now SCA, where regional Rhys came from to wreck Austereo) in as 50/50 JV partner and then bid for the 3rd commercial licence in Albury, the first licence auction DMG gave up on bidding to win (until the momentous defeat on the Gold Coast), hence 105.7 The River.

You’d think Bendigo or Ballarat would’ve been more fertile ground for competition however the radio dynamics there were quite sleepy and some would argue still are. Shep has a good TX site for lots of highway audience from Broadford to Albury and north up the Newell into NSW. Lots of high field strength fortuitous overlap to Wang, Albury, Deni and Bendigo which in those days didn’t have FM save for 104.9 Albury later on.

2 Likes

Sorry but I’m a bit confused when you’re talking a third commercial licence in Shep. Am I forgetting something?

I guess Shep had the advantage that it’s far enough north that Melbourne stations aren’t a factor - same probably can’t be said for parts of Bendigo’s licence area and most of Ballarat’s, hence the ‘sleepy’ dynamics (read Geelong if you want an excellent definition of that term)

You’re right about those FM TXs from Mt Major getting out too, both those and Mt Alexander (Bendigo) go a long, long way and can be heard well into NSW. 3SR/Sun are still thereabouts in Narrandera if you’re trying hard enough

I think he means 95.3… 1260 and 96.9 being the first two (1260 is now just a RSN relay?).