Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

just checked, Port is on AFL too… I’ve been listening to Orange and they have NRL.

Maybe because the Super radio network stations take AFL also? The doesn’t explain why the Coffsand Port Mac stations still take it though…

Keeping it on sydney but the loop during the ad breaks is driving me insaine. Newcastle is lucky to get NRL coverage aha. But I was using it as an example because 2GO is a competitive market as well and it takes the AFL in a Rugby League dominant market. Which also confuses me is that 2GO will play music over the NRL coverage at times. I’m just confused to why some stations in league dominated markets are obliged or want to take the AFL.

Of course, much of the 2GO listening area can receive Triple M Sydney and/or KOFM Newcastle so if they’re playing music over the NRL coverage then it’s probably just the Central Coast station providing an alternative in a regional market which is sandwiched between those which serve the largest regional area of NSW and the largest city in Australia.

I would understand this though if it wasn’t on Triple M Sydney, in fact the NRL show isn’t even on in any of those 3 markets.

An interesting opinion piece about the rebranding of SCA’s regional stations to Triple M.

5 Likes

“StarFM Griffith was now ‘Hit FM’ as was The River in Albury”. He’s wrong there, The River is Triple M.

2 Likes

SCA have begun the rollout of Zetta playout software. Gosford, Brisbane and Cairns have it installed so far.
https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/zetta-and-gselector-revolutionise-radio-operations-southern-cross-austereo

The Cairns install coincided with their move into new studios in early March. Aside from Zetta, the new studios specs are the same as recent relocations in Wagga Wagga and Griffith and rebuilds in Shepparton and Mackay, which are all still using Nexgen.
http://www.cairnspost.com.au/business/sca-toasts-new-and-improved-cairns-headquarters/news-story/324a4be531ba729ba2897e79f844165a

1 Like

SCA’s new studios in Newcastle are almost ready.
Hit Newcastle have posted 2 preview videos to their Instagram story tonight - I’ve joined them together and uploaded to youtube here: https://youtu.be/SvISZrlGXqI

How are the SCA regionals doing this greatest album of all time thing. They ask you to call in at the various stations to vote (well for KOFM and 2GO) but is it already pre selected by the Gold Coast or is it combined or the listeners on the Gold Coast get the say?

1 Like

On that note I highly doubt listeners of these stations would vote for oasis and nirvana over the likes of Kiss and Prince respectively.

Maybe they are trying to tell us that even 80s music is getting a bit too old for “Greatest Hits” and are trying to usher in more 90s to appeal to potential listeners moving into their target demo ???

Having said that, HIT stations still play a lot of 90s, don’t they?

I don’t think the HIT stations really play a hell of a lot of 90’s music, they many focus on today’s garbage music.

2 Likes

They do play a fair bit of 90’s, a huge chunk is today’s stuff but there is a fair portion that is 90’s.
But I still think this greatest album of all time is preselected from the GC.

1 Like

Ok I’m assured now that this is pre selected and rigged to include more 90’s music.
Throwing Copper beat Hotel California.
There is no way in hell that would happen if it was down to the listeners.

1 Like

Then it beat Thriller in a semi final, only for The Joshua Tree to knock it off in the final. Of course given a Pink album made the cut it was always going to be biased, the fact that it was beaten by a Matchbox20 record made it even dodgier.

3 Likes

I think 2NX (now Hit) only moved to Charlestown around 1993/94, when the rules were changed to allow 2 station ownership in same market.

Funnily enough, Hit106.9 is now located only about 3 blocks away from the Hunter St, Newcastle West location that was their home prior to relocating to KOFM’s Charlestown site.

1 Like

People on the KO page complained about it. I dare sane it’ll be the same with the others.

1 Like

I was doing a band scan yesterday and stopped on MMM Fraser Coast for a minute, only to hear a Sydney Traffic report :confused:

1 Like