Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

You’d be surprised.

1 Like

I have one of these Internet Radios which I hardly use. I would like to add some of the regional Triple M stations. Not sure where to find the direct links. Does anyone know? Cheers!

http://www.wifiradio-frontier.com/

Through here?
http://sc01.scahw.com.au/

3 Likes

The Triple M rebrand certainly isn’t going too well in some parts from what I’ve seen on Facebook and heard from people.

Family of mine who were always long time Sea FM listeners have abandoned Triple M, as they couldn’t stand the Cricket coverage airing instead of music.

It seems many others have the same opinion. These are all from Facebook:

7 Likes

Good, it’s a botched idea. Just because Dobbo thinks it’s a ripper of an idea, doesn’t mean it is. Mickey would be jumping up and down, keen to play with the big boys with grown up station names, caught by the hype.

There’s already the ABC, in markets where there’s only two or four commercial stations, there’s not enough diversity. It’s a niche idea, they can get away with it in metro, but not in regional.

5 Likes

People will always complain. If they didn’t put cricket on the regionals, they’d get some people complaining that they don’t have the cricket that the same station in the city have. Maybe less people, but not everyone would be happy still.

The real problem is that in a lot of areas there aren’t enough stations to cater for what the whole audience want.

4 Likes

I like that second complaint about their whole workplace changing to Hit.

This is where the general public are being deceived, they don’t know who owns/runs their local stations (most of the time they probably don’t care).

They think they’ll hurt their local Triple M (management) by changing stations, after they screwed with the programming they liked, only problem is, SCA don’t give a rats, as they still have them as listeners to their stations, & SCA are still gaining revenue, because the same ads are most likely running on both stations.

SCA would only be worried when people switched off altogether, or they were in a market area with another competitor. Unfortunately in most regional cases, this competitor doesn’t exist, & local community stations are barely a blip on the radar, let alone any sort of threat to SCA.

4 Likes

I highly doubt many people (if any) would complain if Triple M didn’t play the cricket. However it’s clear a great many people hate it. This really isn’t rocket science judging by the reaction. Particularly the North Queensland Sea FM listeners are an unhappy bunch losing their music station to cricket. It’s an absurd idea for an FM station - metro or regional. And SCA management are now just being pig-headed and won’t admit a mistake.

4 Likes

The thing is they also have another choice with Star FM in those markets - they won’t all be going to Hit, in fact it’s more likely most would go to Star given the similar target demographic.

3 Likes

I just don’t understand why they think all adults want to listen to sport, news and talk. Nearly everyone I know under the age of 70 wants music from the 70’s until the late 90’s early 00’s. Don’t know where SCA have got their market research from.

Lots of negative comments from my friends about the amount of sport and talk on traditional ‘classic hits’ stations - with many now upset they have no music station to listen to.

6 Likes

4TO are running the cricket too. This must be going really well in Townsville.

Edit: quick check of FB:

Brad Haack I hope everything goes back to normal soon I’ve changed stations. If I want to listen to cricket I’ll go to abc. Get back on track. :+1:
Like · Reply · 1 · 3 January at 20:16

Donna Elizabeth Clarke
Just want to know after 50 years of being a loyal listener to this raido station and enjoying the music, what makes you think we all want to listen to the dam cricket if thats the case i will now find another station i am not a sports person so i dont want to listen to the cricket gou just lost me as a listener
Like · Reply · 4 January at 10:10

Charmaine Zinner
I, too do not like to hear cricket on my favorite radio station.
Like · Reply · 3 hrs

Among all that, time for something positive and what’s more positive than North Queensland’s most popular and enduring personality: Pricey’s Christmas message:

Dingo Beach, is some 200km hop from the Mt Stuart transmitter, big effort for FM. AM 774 would’ve boomed in.

1 Like

Oh dear that will be a real feat if SCA manage to kill off the love for 4TO!!
That station is basically impenetrable but they look like they’re giving it a good go with the cricket. Very sad. If they go through with the re-brand to Triple M I’ll be able to hear the screams from here in Brisbane :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Big problem for me was that unlike Metro who would only go to an ad every 3-4 overs, regional went to 1-2 ads between overs (just as some semi useful conversation was taking place) and played the sting when it really wasn’t needed. Then yesterday between the start of the tea break and a Barnsey interview set up by Brett Lee, there was about 5 minutes of wall to wall ads. It got to the stage where I was listening to community stations last night, such was the repetitive annoying nature of what (s)HIT was playing.

How long until Triple M starts being stipped back from local stations? Any bet takers?

1 Like

I give it 12 months

I agree with NRN11, give it 12 months (or maybe even less) and I wouldn’t be surprised if SCA strips back or at the very least, de-emphasises the Triple M branding from the regional stations.

Heck, I even want the Triple M brand removed from 104.9 Sydney! One can dream, right?

Seems to me that the hate from regional listeners is over the cricket, not so much the Triple M name.

Now that the Test matches in Australia (and AFAIK Triple M isn’t covering ODIs or T20s) is over for this summer, things should start to get back to normal.

But it may make Triple M reconsider airing cricket in regional areas next summer.

6 Likes

I don’t think so, given next summer it’s the big one Australia v England in the ashes.

1 Like

Radio in regional Australia is just so bland. I don’t know how it survives?

3 Likes

I think the reaction from listeners will be the same, they don’t want to hear cricket regardless of whether it’s Pakistan or England that is playing.

Regionals don’t want or need cricket when it’s already on ABC Radio and when in most cases there are few terrestial alternatives for them (unlike metros).

3 Likes