Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

Gold FM Gold Coast advertised a George Michel special at 7pm. Network wide special I imagine.

1 Like

New signage for SCA on the Gold Coast

1 Like

It sure was

Triple M Hobart television commercial here:

http://www.radiotoday.com.au/news/whats-new/10249-triple-m-hobarts-new-tvc.html?platform=hootsuite

I guess since all the local breakfast announcers are on holidays, both the regional hit & Triple M stations will have the same networked breakfast show for the next 2 weeks until Jan 9.

There’s only one station that brings you everything Hobart - Sydney’s Triple M.

7 Likes

Im surprised they didnt bring back the “Triple M Rocks {some random location}” slogan

Unlike metros, they don’t use a “rock” format, so it would probably seem a bit out of place.

1 Like

The fact they have different formats with the same name makes the whole thing seem out of place!
Branding 101 epic fail.

4 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, somehow I don’t consider Katy Perry & Taylor Swift rock music!

Well, there goes their listening audience! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

While I agree that two different formats under the same brand doesn’t make sense, there’s also been mention on here of the previous failures of the Triple M rock format in several cities (e.g. Perth) and the decline for Triple M in it’s pre-Dec 2016 metro markets, so what if SCA are intending to shift the metro Ms more toward the format of the new regional Ms, and slightly move the regional Ms toward the metros’ rock format, meeting in a happy middle somewhere?
Surely they can’t (continue to) just ignore a declining (metro) audience problem?
If they can make a middle ground work, then good, they’ll finally have a reasonably consistent national brand, using a recognisable name they already own, and get the cost saving benefits of that national brand.
(And eventually they should ditch the Canberra FM joint venture and start up a 3rd commercial FM station in Canberra.)

Good idea, but I can’t really see a “hybrid” format working for Triple M in metro areas.

Regional Triple Ms can afford to have a broader music playlist since there are usually only 2-3 commercial stations to compete against, not 5 to 10 commercials as in the capital cities.

1 Like

Provided that they remain #1 or competitive amongst males, it’s unlikely we’ll see much change in my opinion

1 Like

In Sydney Triple M does not look too competitive in any demographic:

• 18 - 24: No.6 (behind Triple J KIIS, Nova, 2Day and smooth)
  • 25 - 39: No. 6 (behing Nova, KIIS, smooth, WS and Triple J)
  • 40 -54: No. 5 (behind KIIS, WS, Smooth and Triple J)
  • Nights: No. 11 (only 0.1% ahead of the ABC’s News Radio)
  • Weekends: No. 10 (behind everyone including Magic 2CH)

I can’t imagine how the station could be so weak in all these demos and shifts but competitive with males.

The original Triple M is barely afloat. If their not careful the “M” is going to stand for “males”. The three males that listen to 104.9 in Sydney.

4 Likes

@TV-ACT
Yes that thought has crossed my mind - they might eventually bring the metros back towards the “middle”, particularly in Brisbane and Adelaide.
I agree Canberra needs a 3rd FM. Also, Brisbane, Perth and even Adelaide need a 5th.

Yeah I’m not buying this “competitive with males” spin from SCA. It’s dubious at best.

2 Likes

Dobbo and Fitz subscribe to the flawed tactic that if you say something enough, people will believe it’s true.

If there was a genuine competitor for a male skewed station, this would be challenged. Cath Thomas at Pacific Star is about the only chance but their brands aren’t strong enough yet for a challenge to have credibility.

1 Like

Agree 100% with that. They definitely subscribe to that idea of repeating something till people believe it.

Propaganda may work for politicians (as it did for the Nazis who coined the term), but I suspect the people who decide where to spend advertising dollars look at the actual numbers.

1 Like