Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

Fair enough, I must have been the only one in regional Australia who actually enjoyed the Cricket on Triple M, at least the commentary wasn’t as boring as the ABC. I wonder why there ain’t that many complaint’s when regional Triple M broadcast the AFL during winter, AFL must be more exciting to listen too!:stuck_out_tongue:

As for the footy, in many cases, it’s not already on free to air TV (as was the cricket), and the ABC doesn’t cover every footy game either (but it was already covering the Test matches).

And coverage of a game of AFL is significantly shorter then 5 days of test cricket at 8 hours each.

1 Like

I feel sorry for listeners in communities like Maryborough in Queensland wanting to listen to a station with a variety of music and classic hits.

The legacy AM station is racing radio and there is a Christian station and a high power Kix country music station. So when ever 103.5 is on cricket the only local music station is hit101.9. There is not much chance of adequate reception from adjacent areas either.

From Facebook

• Your station used to be awesome but since the cricket came on it sucks big time a lot of my friends and I used to listen to it until the cricket reared its ugly head and spoiled it so bad no longer will we be listening I know a lot of people aren’t going to like what I wrote each too their own ya payed to play music so play.

• Why are we being TORTURED with bloody cricket??? Great way to lose listeners and likely advertisers as well.

• So disappointed in this station with staying with the most boring cricket program, even tho the cricket is rained out, they still keep with it. So boring, so inane. What is wrong in just playing your terrific music like usual.

• Love the greatest hits and Scott & Andrew but why oh why after having our weekends spoilt with Football during the winter do we now have to listen the cricket all weekend and public holidays during the summer?

4 Likes

Have a read on the reviews and comment section on the Triple M Bendigo Facebook page :grin:

Well all those listeners complaining about the Cricket can now relax, Triple M won’t be covering the One Day Internationals or the T20’s, so they can go back to enjoying either the Classic or Greatest Hits.

1 Like

Yep Triple M Bendigo Facebook’s page is one of the worst in terms of listener complaints, most of them say they will switch to 101.5 Fresh FM.

1 Like

While I agree with the general premise you and others have been saying, there’s two problems with arguing that social media feedback is a ‘true’ representation of what a station’s listenership think/are feeling. Firstly, people who don’t like something (like cricket being on the radio) will always be the vocal ones who complain - you would rarely hear from people who like said event. Secondly, we’ve seen from situations like people arguing that certain shows trending on Twitter would mean it would do well in the ratings when ultimately it didn’t that caution should be used when trying to draw conclusions from social media chatter/feedback

4 Likes

Mixed responses on KOFM some loved it others hated it, 2GO didn’t have the coverage at all.

1 Like

Prior to the change to Triple M there was only ever 1 Sea FM station in North QLD, in Cairns. The rest were in Central and Southern QLD.[quote=“Brianc68, post:715, topic:56, full:true”]
The thing is they also have another choice with Star FM in those markets - they won’t all be going to Hit, in fact it’s more likely most would go to Star given the similar target demographic.
[/quote]

This is a very good point. Since reading the Facebook comments i’ve been asking people their opinions of the cricket coverage and i’ve not yet had one single positive comment, and as you suggest nearly all have told me they’ve now changed over to StarFM.

I don’t think the cricket coverage on Triple M in Regionals is a good idea at all personally. Everyone in these areas is used to the stations they’ve loved, and most don’t care about the name change, but a drastic change (even if only temporary) to what is being broadcast is really turning listeners off!

3 Likes

What about Mackay?
Or is that Central QLD to you?

Townsville did have a Sea FM, but that would have been about 5 years ago now…

That’s right. It was rebranded as Zinc in March 2009 & then as Power 100 in September last year.

I think it just depends on the area as said above I think the vocal ones will always be the ones that don’t have it. There’s still people in the hunter complaining about the continuous call team not being on KOFM anymore, most are unaware you can pick up 2NM or even 2GB with a half decent reciever. Then KO turn around reduce the NRL coverage all together in rugby league heartland. I remember on 1 weekend last year we had no access to any nrl games on the radio besides 2NM if you could pick it up or 2GB from Sydney.

1 Like

So it’s gone through a few name changes then!:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This morning Mix 106.3 Canberra was taking what seems to be a Triple M program Almost Acoustic, the news late this morning was from Nicole Gunn at Triple M, the Sunday night program is Triple M’s The Barbie, and the website shows Christian Argenti with Greatest Years of Music from 7:00pm weeknights. What was a mostly local station is increasingly taking Triple M network programs, a lot more network shows than when it was part of ARN’s Mix network.

4 Likes

Yeah, they have been heading that way for a while now.

2 Likes

What a disgraceful result for Mix 106.3.

There used to be pride in the JV, local shifts through to nights.

Whilst programming has always been an Austereo/SCA responsibility, the Mix brand was maintained well. The music was wider, skewed older than what you’d expect for an east coast metro Mix station as there’s less choice in the market.

2 Likes

12 months I reckon. And I doubt they’ll go through with re-branding Gold, KO or TO.

2 Likes

Yeah I feel sorry for Maryborough-Hervey Bay too having only the SCA duopoly. Particularly when they’re stuck with cricket and no adult music alternative.

4 Likes

The coverage of 4BU and that of 4GY is not good for overlap.

I know 4BU mention M’bo/HB in weather reports but the signal is not good and at night, suffers from interference from 3SH.

It’s a shame when you consider how well 4RO and 4CC travel. If only 4BU did the same.

4GY used to have great signal onto the Sunshine Coast and Brianc68 has mentioned similar north to M’bo.

2 Likes