Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

I think the HIT FM stations could at the very least have a local announcer in the morning until 12pm instead of networking from the Gold Coast from 9am weekdays.

Albury is local til 12

Most listeners should know that the announcers in the networked programming aren’t local, it’s not hard to work out, I mean for example the announcers never talk about anything local that going on around town, they don’t say the stations local name etc. You could online right now tune into e.g HIT 99.5 Sunraysia and fine the same announcer on HIT 100.3 Mackay.

Is that for both HIT 104.9 & 105.7 Triple M or just Hit 104.9?

Triple m is til 4pm

1 Like

More than half the hit stations have a local mornings announcer, with a few of the larger markets also having afternoons local. The exact stations will vary from time to time though as the network feed is used when the local hosts are on holidays or sick as well as when an announcer has left the station and they are in the process of filling the position.

Almost all of the Triple M stations have at least one local announcer, with about half of them having 2.

Hopefully they’ve been making some improvements recently then.

I was in Port Macquarie / Coffs Harbour in October and I’m pretty sure STAR had the same announcers after the breakfast shift for the remainder of the day.

By memory Coffs Harbour is one of the few that do take the network feed all day. It thought Port a Macquarie had a daytime announcer, but not 100% sure.

1 Like

Triple M and hit93.1 branding in Wagga. Though the old (assuming it is no longer used) branch studio in Leeton still has the old 2RG and 99.7 StarFM branding on it.

5 Likes

hit93.1 in Wagga is local until noon.

Unsure about Triple M (aka 2WG) if it has a local announcer (excluding the brekky crew) during the day. Peter Allibon use to do the 12 to 4pm shift (the late Brenton Thompson was the long term announcer for that shift).

2 Likes

With the Regional Triple M stations broadcasting the test cricket for the first time from Monday, I wonder if it will also be broadcast online or via the app.

KOFM and HIT 106.9 at Charlestown, can’t get a better photo as it’s on the Pacifc Highway and you can’t really pull over ahaha

Also unrelated hit106.9 still have ads for the Gold Coast 600 Supercars event which happened in October.

3 Likes

New signage in Newcastle. Merry Christmas everyone!

3 Likes

Unlikely, I don’t think they have the rights to do that. Strangely enough though I was able to listen to the Brisbane test via the Cricket Australia Live app. They had a choice of the 3 radio coverage streams (ABC, 2UE & Triple M) but I only tried Triple M. The only time I heard any local info while listening was a Melbourne traffic report, so obviously using the Melbourne feed (I am in the Greater Sydney area). I do have a Cricket Australia account to login to the app, but am not a paid subscriber.

edit - from the https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/cricket/news/triple-m-rocks-test-cricket website/s
"Listeners can tune in to our Test coverage via the Cricket Australia website. Digital listeners on our website can hear our Classic Rock Summer."

So I guess those listening to Regional Triple M either online or via the app will continue to hear either the Greatest or Classic hits while the Cricket is on.

I’d be surprised if SCA continues with a “web only” Classic Hits or Greatest Hits stream in lieu of the cricket (assuming all regionals take the cricket € ).

I wouldn’t mind betting that ALL metro and regional Triple M listeners get the “Classic Rock Summer” online.

€ Which would be overkill given the ABC is already covering it and some regional markets are only served by a small number of stations.

2 Likes

I guess we will found out tomorrow. It wouldn’t be a bad idea if the Regionals do get the classic rock summer online like the Metros do when the Cricket is on.

Sadly while driving north I had the misfortune this afternoon to sample the Fraser Coast’s 103.5 Triple M (formerly Mix). Not sure if it was the stumbling announcer (almost defensively) assuring me it was “the same great station, just a new name”, or the Kylie Minogue track he played following ACDC (I’m not even making this up!!!), or the advertisement for Triple M cricket which split the two songs… But I’m calling time of death for the Triple M name as 5.50PM Christmas Day 2016.

4 Likes

Mix was a stupid enough name in Maryborough, same music log as 4MB (classic hits from Toowoomba) minus the brand value.

Regional areas are slower to accept change, SCA’s research would show this, hence the reticence to dump 2KO and 4TO. As most markets are solus markets, SCA are betting it won’t matter. Hopefully their tracking and the rubbery phone recall ‘surveys’ show differently.

The stumbling announcer, would have to be networked at 5:50pm on the biggest public holiday surely?

Actually no he seemed local. Mix (now MMM) always maintained a bigger local content than most. It would be one of the more profitable markets for SCA I assume given only 2 stations and a big population including the much larger and growing Hervey Bay.

1 Like