Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

I was in cairns and they have Guy and Rohan on workdays. I think it’s tremendously poor thst they can’t or won’t use at least one local daytime announcer.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Given the size & population of Cairns, you would think they would be local until at least 12pm.

3 Likes

Cairns revenue supports local on air content from breakfast through drive including a morning and afternoon journo yet SCA choose to cut corners and forego revenue.

Disgraceful and not operating in the best interest of shareholders. Same for many markets.

Full potential is not realised.

2 Likes

Thankfully the Riverina has only suffered the non local branding abomination of MMM since late 2016.

Local as 2WG for 84 consistent years.

6 Likes

Perhaps in name but realistically Wagga and most of the former dmg stations lost their true autonomy in 2000 when the Albury and Townsville hubs were introduced. Since then outside of breakfast it has been local sweepers placed over a networked feed

4 Likes

Agree @Viclistener, changing a near century long local callsign to an irrelevant, different format callsign from a capital city is the final insult.

Revenue was also higher with DMG’s music programming than SCA’s poorly researched format.

Townsville and Wagga were once revenue powerhouses for DMG, much reduced now under SCA.

4 Likes

Though to be fair to some extent, streaming and other forms of personal entertainment eg iPods have eroded that.

1 Like

I disagree. Well invested, relevant radio can maintain revenue.

3 Likes

Agree 100%

3 Likes
3 Likes

Has Nick Blanchmoved on from Triple M Newcastle or on extended leave? Haven’t heard him for weeks. I heard him at the knights game the other week. Nix has come in and done a terrific job.

2 Likes
4 Likes

As mentioned on the “Gold Coast radio, print, online & other non TV” thread, Lakey will be leaving Hit NSW breakfast, which he co-hosted with Maz, to join Bianca & Ben at 90.9 Sea FM breakfast.

3 Likes

It doesn’t mention who’s replacing Lakey though. It would be fantastic if Gawndy came back!

4 Likes

Leaving Maz already? That was bloody quick!

3 Likes

Hit 101.3 is starting to become the new 2day fm with the revolving door of breakfast hosts.

Good thing surveys on the Central Coast are only once a year allowing Hit to establish another breakfast show before the next survey.
Is Bodge still on the books at SCA???

3 Likes

Regional radio has always been a bit like that to a degree, as a breeding ground, where hosts often get a better gig elsewhere.

Partly true for ADL, BNE and PER radio too where talent will sometimes get a gig in SYD or MEL.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Yep. Doing Triple M breakfast in Cairns now.

3 Likes