Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

Should be a local person in each market :joy: but won’t happen.

3 Likes

The new show starts on Tuesday 15th March (Monday 14th is a public holiday in Tasmania).

5 Likes

Ed Cowlishaw’s new show starts next Monday, March 7.

2 Likes

Coincidental that Woody has followed the path of Kim & Dave from 100.9 Breakfast to 107.3 Breakfast.

However, more interesting is that Triple M Hobart haven’t replaced the Spoonman shock jock/talkback format with the same. Reverting to the previous male/female host lighter breakfast format.

3 Likes

Ahhhh Kim & Dave on Sea FM, what memories, such a great duo.

2 Likes

On TTT are better memories of genuinely local station.

1 Like

Seriously thought it was the title of a Looney Tunes cartoon, Woody and Tubes!

4 Likes

I know what you mean! FM breakfast crews rarely have more formal titles.

It’s the opposite on AM talk, I could never imagine 2GB promoting Ben Fordham as something like “Benny” or “Fordy”.

I guess that reflects the nature of their programs, FM music being more carefree, AM talk more serious.

4 Likes

I just heard “Bad Habits” by Ed Sheeran on Triple M Central Coast.

Grrrr. It’s not rock!

5 Likes

At least it’s not the Billy Field version.

3 Likes

But it’s “Good Times and Greatest Hits” now… can’t imagine that we’ll still be hearing it on the radio in 10-20 years time, but who knows.

2 Likes

Is it Gold Coast changing the log to try and win the ratings?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if it is the case, considering its rivalry with the now ARN-owned Hot Tomato.

2 Likes

There’s always been rivalry on the Gold Coast. When you own two incumbent stations, 100% of the local commercial market, a competitor is a very big problem for the owner yet great for the audiences, clients and radio overall.

SCA and predecessors have always tried to remain competitive with local drive on Gold 92.5/MMM until end of 2020. It’s that SCA have cut so many resources from the Gold Coast, including local music programming that they’ve been shooting themselves in the foot.

Hot Tomato has suffered under the Cameron’s ownership with reduced outdoor advertising, reduction in on air talent, not renewing Mal Lees a big mistake and the awful sharing of music with other Grant stations rather than maintaining the local music research and Gold Coast only music programming (understand it is programmed locally yet is designed as one size fits all for many markets).

The Camerons bought the station from the Torvs with already a good profit margin. The Cameron’s cuts have been to their detriment and to SCA’s gain.

5 Likes

Agreed. Hot Tomato has definitely gone downhill since Grant bought them.

4 Likes

Star is still playing Whigfield’s “Sexy Eyes”, so anything is possible…

4 Likes

Do we think ARN will understand what they’ve bought? The Gold Coast is the 6th biggest market in the country after all. However, as an outsider looking in, what the f**k does the name mean? I get it was the new player back in 2003, and as was the way back then, they were quite irreverent, but what were the Torv’s thinking calling it Hot Tomato? I just don’t understand. Do we honestly think ARN will keep the name (sorry, I know it’s off-topic)?

3 Likes

The name doesn’t really mean anything but it has brand recognition across the Gold Coast just like Sea FM (and what Gold FM did). Perhaps if Grant Blackley lands at ARN one day it’ll share the “KIIS Name”

1 Like

I think it’s one of the best names in Australian radio. It’s outrageous which got it huge cut through. It became instantly recognisable and built up almost a cult like following.

3 Likes

Hot Tomato → Hans Torv. He named it after his initials - it just happens to be a sick name for a radio station. They followed the Nova programming format with the “never more than 2 ads in a row” at the beginning. Pretty clever not to reinvent the wheel.

2 Likes