Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

No, they air it live at 4-6pm weeknights. In fact, it has been that way since July 2018, when it was still 2GO.

3 Likes

I wonder if pleasing a larger chunk of a narrower audience gives you better overall shares?

3 Likes

Time will tell!

2 Likes

Rock Song Dedications now on most MMM stations Saturday night.

A Newcastle and Port Macquarie Saturday 6pm comparison.

2 Likes

That Newcastle playlist is rubbish!!!

5 Likes

ELO at the top is cruel, I might leave the station on because of that, and then take a few songs to realise that’s an exception to an otherwise terrible playlist.

3 Likes

Funny I thought the opposite, I like the Newcastle log better, & I’m born & bred Newcastle.

Guess you have to know your market, & 1 thing I’ll give the Newcastle SCA guys is they do, & they’ve resisted being pushed to other network logs (especially when Mike Byrne was CD), to go it alone if possible & do it all themselves.

You can’t have 1 or 2 logs & expect a network to do well right around the country, different areas have different musical tastes for various reasons, & always have.

You have to program for individual markets, I’ve always found Sydney doesn’t work in Melbourne & vice versa, Newcastle is close to Brisbane, but while Newcastle logs might work in Brisbane, Brisbane logs won’t always work in Newcastle, Adelaide & Newcastle are also quite similar & generally logs will work both ways, get out in the sticks further regionally & one place is not really like the other.

7 Likes

Justin Timberlake into 5SOS on MMM Newcastle right now. Their transition to NEWFM is complete.

4 Likes

Where does the Central Coast fit into things, would it be closer to Newcastle then Sydney music wise?

Wollongong seems weird market music wise when you listen to the logs of i98 / Wave fm. AC/DC into Justin Bieber :flushed:
Power fm / 2ST seem to be the most consistent with their playlists.

4 Likes

I respect that you like that music and playlist. We all have different tastes. But Justin Timberlake and Adele isn’t Triple M. Never will be.

Triple M “Classic Hits” long was good too but again, poor choice under the Triple M name.

7 Likes

Well… not anymore, most of the TV studio engineering staff were made redundant in 2018 (along with about 15 radio techs) and then in 2019 most of the TV RF guys (totalling nearly 40 techs over 2 years!!) there are only 2 or 3 guys in Townsville and 1 in Coffs Harbour now that support the contribution network (microwave links etc) 1 studio tech in Coffs has been transferred to radio, also included in this cull the SCTV Tasmania engineering operations.

5 Likes

Love Song Dedications has been on Saturday nights on Triple M Sydney for a couple of months now too.

Its an awful program to have on Saturday nights, the less mindless drivel the better… its the one night of the week that should have no announcers.

8 Likes

Agree. Triple M metros should have a rock party playlist. Even if it’s pub rock classics.

4 Likes

The Central Coast is kinda funny, I wouldn’t say it’s closer to either Sydney or Newcastle, probably Perth or Adelaide, but if you nailed it down it would be closer to Sydney as a lot of Sydney workers live on the Central Coast & commute, so they will listen to Sydney stations (alone) or a mix of Sydney & Central Coast.
The Central Coast is also included as part of the Sydney ratings area (not Newcastle) & the ABC translator services on the Coast are from Sydney (2BL 702) not Newcastle.

And there it is, you’ve realised what some of us have been saying since before SCA started renaming all the regional stations Triple M, they’re not & never will all be Triple M (with multiple formats & logs).

Triple M is Sydney & (maybe) Melbourne, they should all be running those logs if they want to be a Triple M network.

Triple J doesn’t differ in different parts of the country, Coca Cola doesn’t taste different in different parts of the country, but SCA just doesn’t get that, never has & never will.
The rebrand was all about rolling the national advertising sales into 1, they only had to sell spots for one network Triple M or Hit, it was nothing more or nothing less.

6 Likes

Digby Gillings hosted a Saturday night live show over summer that was really good

3 Likes

Except for Perth (Mix), Melbourne (Fox) and Sydney (2Day) :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Perth yes, Melbourne I’ll give you that, but Sydney was Hit/2DAY at the start & they latter dropped the Hit, going back to just 2DAY.
2DAY still uses the Hit logo & is part of the Hit stations on the websites & elsewhere, same with Fox.

Essentially Mix Perth is the lone one out, who don’t use any network logos, etc., though it’s the same colours as Triple M.

4 Likes

Hence why branding MMM over heritage brands is the wrong decision and always will be.

6 Likes

Do any regional Triple M/Hit stations do local news updates during breakfast anymore?, the last time I heard any local news on my local station must have been almost two months ago.

3 Likes

Triple M Coffs hasn’t had any local news bulletins since the pandemic hit the fan and neither has Port Macquarie to my knowledge (both local bulletins were produced and read from Port Macquarie). Facebook and website updates still have local news.

5 Likes