Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

Yes, back when DMG owned the Star/Hot brands (in competition to the RG Capital Sea stations), DMG had established 3 hubs for the networked shifts operating from May 2000. They were

Northern (QLD) - Townsville
Southern (NSW, VIC and SA) - Albury
Western (WA) - Bunbury

8 Likes

My favourite network announcer on Star FM back in the DMG days was Bilko from Albury.

3 Likes

Ty Frost wasn’t bad either. The quality of the presenters wasn’t the issue, it was the content and networking errors eg Townsville presenters complaining about tropical rain to drought ravaged Roma listeners, Roma ads being heard in Cairns, and chunks of silence.

6 Likes

Yes Ty Frost was good as well, I reckon the network presenters from Albury were better than the Gold Coast presenters like Big K & JK’s Workday. Back during the 2000’s, 96.1 Star FM used to have periods of on air silence when networking from Albury on a fairly regular basis & at least twice a month we used to get 99.7 Star FM Griffith weather reports!

5 Likes

Yes I remember Gold Coast being a hub for those stations too.

Remember that too :slight_smile:

So where are the remaining SCA Triple M & Hit FM network programming hubs located now across Australia and where are the remaining technical/engineering support locations now across regional Australia? I’m guessing consolidation there too in recent times…?

3 Likes

More or less the same. DMG and RG did a pretty good job at minimising the roles required.

Hit regional is done from Townsville. I believe that makes sense since SCA have a dedicated host for Mt Isa breakfast based in Townsville, so basing all content for the network from there allows that jock to be part of the network roster.

Triple M regional is mainly based from Gold Coast such as Al Shield on what was the Greatest Hits feed.

The feed for the Triple M classic hits/AM stations is done from Albury - that’s Guy Mylecharane’s shift.

Engineering is still scattered around at strategic locations. I believe Townsville, Maryborough, Gold Coast, Coffs, Newcastle, Albury, Bendigo and Mount Gambier have engineers. Toowoomba used to, but not sure if that position was replaced after Andrew Chapman moved to Resonate. There may be a couple of others that I’ve missed.

For WA, Bunbury is still the hub, although some of that is now in Perth since the takeover of the Redwave stations.

For TV, the engineering hubs are Townsville, Coffs and Bendigo.

6 Likes

For Triple M GC and TSV look after weekdays and weekends respectively. Newcastle sends program from 6pm to midnight on weekdays and from 8pm Sundays. Stations go back to local music from midnight now Bona does Tuesday to Friday, but can go on network feed if they wish.

Melbourne sends from 4-6 weekdays for Kennedy Molloy but regionals take it off a different satellite channel.

3 Likes

Are Townsville and Coffs still in their original buildings with studios, like Bendigo? Since Traralgon was demolished and Win demolished its old Ballarat and Shepparton buildings, there are no other TV studios in regional Vic apart from Bendigo.

3 Likes

@TheMoreYouKnow the BTV site has not been demolished yet, least not on the latest Nearmap flyover. Will check other sites later.

1 Like

Coffs is still in the old NRTV building. The old
main TV studio is still there but not used anymore except for the occasional TV commercial.

4 Likes

It’s funny that SCA had to hold onto the TV complex for radio, because SCA TV doesn’t exist in Northern NSW anymore, it’s WIN TV now.

Consolidation is all good, until things go wrong & you have to diverge parts of the company, SCA would’ve said the Coffs TV Complex wasn’t part of the sale, but what if that was the deal breaker for WIN (or anyone else who was interested), it would’ve left SCA paying rent (at whatever cost to the new owners mercy) to stay, or left without any radio studios.

3 Likes

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned in here (delete if it has), but some local residents, along with a grant from the Wagga Wagga council, are restoring the old 2WG neon sign that sits on the top of the original studios building, because it’s historical & has meaning to the locals.

This is great & something that corporate SCA just doesn’t get, radio station callsigns at the heritage stations do matter & mean something to locals regionally, but no let’s just throw that heritage away & rebrand everything to Triple M or Hit.

They mightn’t lose many/any listeners, but they lose that connection (life long in a lot of cases) with the local community.

2WG Sign Restoration

8 Likes

You might know differently but with Hit breakfast moving to Perth I’m lead to believe all network shifts are broadcast from there. Presumably the Geraldton and Bunbury local shifts remain based locally

3 Likes

From what I can tell it’s a bit of a mix still, however the coronavirus may have slowed down some plans as travel between Perth and Bunbury wasn’t possible for a while.

You’re correct, most of Hit’s networked connect is coming out of Perth now, from hit92.9’s second studio. For breakfast, Michelle is still in Bunbury at least some of the time.

Triple M is still mainly from Bunbury - most of those announcers are long term Bunbury residents so are less likely to want to move. However breakfast for remote WA (branded as Triple M North West) hosted by Ray Love is coming from Perth.

SCA only have 4 on air studios in Perth, and previously workdays and breakfast would use different studios to allow the breakfast team to use the studios after their show for pre-recording content as required, so I’d imagine it’s pretty crowded in there at the moment.

2 Likes

Having a listen to Triple M Central Coast today, and there’s basically no pop or newer music.

It’s also very male dominated playlist, I’ve heard maybe only 1 or 2 songs in the last 90 mins with female vocals… one being the Eurythmics (Would I Lie To You). A bit more Baby Animals, Alanis Morrissette - female rock artists would be good etc.

It’s definitely preferable to the previous format, but perhaps that is maybe TOO narrow a music format for a provincial area? (fine for a metro area).

4 Likes

Does anyone know if there will be a Central Coast survey this year.
If so I wonder what impact the new Triple M will have on the ratings.

Star 104.5 does not seem too concerned sticking to their existing format.

3 Likes

Probably not. I think over the last few years, Central Coast surveys have been done during August & September? Not sure if that’ll be possible this year.

I doubt the rebranded Triple M Central Coast will have much impact on the ratings, especially since SCA have gutted most other elements that made 2GO great in recent years.

4 Likes

I Thought the Central Coast surveys were done by telephone not by diary, so they should still be able to take place.

3 Likes

According to this post, it’s scheduled to be released on 13th October, indicating that it would take place during September. Whether it’s going ahead or not is another question, due to COVID-19.

4 Likes

Does Triple M Central Coast still air Kennedy/Molloy on delay since they’ve gone full Triple M?

3 Likes