Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

Call me selfish, but I’d prefer Newcastle and Central Coast to be taking different logs.

Perhaps there should be 2 versions of the metro log to account for overlapping markets.

2 Likes

Hit stations are taking the metro logs currently (except for Canberra as far as I can tell). Hopefully a permanent move

3 Likes

As a sales point of view, I can see what they are trying too do. I’ve noticed with Triple M CQ there is a lot more local commercials on the station this week… (4x4 shops, tools and building supply companies)

2 Likes

Does Triple M Mel have a different log to Sydney.
If that is the case give Triple M Newcastle / Gold Coast The Melbourne log.
What would they do for Hit 90.9?? They cannot give them the Hit 105 log since Hit 105 is quite strong on the Gold Coast.
Maybe Hit 90.9 can have their own log to take on Hot Tomato?? Maybe Hit Canberra and Gold Coast can have their own log which they share?

5 Likes

AFAIK Triple M Sydney and Melbourne share the same log.

Not sure what Adelaide has, if a different log or not to the other cities. That could be a possibility.

2 Likes

Adelaide is on the Brisbane log,
So Newcastle would have to take the Sydney log.

Re Regional Hit network stations they can take the Hit 105 log. Hit 90.9 could take the Fox log to stand out from Hit 105.

3 Likes

This would suit the Gold Coast better.

Other overlapping markets include Coffs/Port and Shep/Bendigo/Albury, Wagga/Griffith or have the last two paired up for a shared program anyway?

5 Likes

That raises some interesting points. I wonder if regions like Brisbane/Gold Coast in particular have considered ‘merging’ their Triple M or Hit stations? I’m guessing they wouldn’t consider common breakfast shows, or maybe they would.

Brisbane and Gold Coast are very close to being one region these days and there is so much commuting both ways up and down the M1 is it really essential that the two Triple Ms are distinct? Or are there actually disadvantages? For example you wake up to your breakfast show on the Gold Coast and then head up to Brisbane each day to work. Do you really want to change to the Brisbane show half way to work? Same for the afternoon commute.

Outside of breakfast and drive does it matter if 92.5 and 104.5 are playing the same songs?

I would only suggest this might work in certain regions that are strongly linked. Eg Sydney and Central Coast or Brisbane and Gold Coast. These two actually have the biggest commuter numbers in the country.

It’s really no different than Central Qld with different frequencies in Rockhampton and Gladstone.

I don’t want to see people out of jobs of course but I don’t see any other issue with Triple M effectively simulcasting in Brisbane and Gold Coast.

4 Likes

If I lived on the Central or Gold Coast and wanted metro Hit/Triple M programming, I’d probably go for the “real” 2DayFM/Hit/Triple M (better yet, the higher rating ARN or Nova Ent. stations) rather than a localised relay.

In these overlap markets, the Central & Gold Coast stations need to be providing an alternative (preferably in the form of localism) rather than a relay of city programming which is easy enough to receive in many locations.

Don’t know how good or otherwise reception of Gold Coast FM is in Brisbane, but I was under the impression that the Gosford commercial FM stations are fairly commonly received across large swathes of the Sydney metropolitan area.

3 Likes

In the case of the Central Coast, at least the local Nova Ent.-owned station (Star 104.5) is different from Nova & Smooth. And better yet, it’s more local sounding than Hit & Triple M, complete with its own music log. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Or maybe if Hit90.9 wanted to stand out, they could take the 2Day/Hit107 variety log which would go better challenging Hot Tomato.

And then maybe Hit101.3 could take the Hit105/The Fox log to offer an alternative to Star104.5.

1 Like

Reception of Gold Coast FMs is poor to non-existent across most of Brisbane.

One thing I’m surprised at is that they haven’t put Triple M Gold Coast on DAB in Brisbane for the commuters who want to stay tuned. When Gold Coast finally get DAB they could run Triple M Brisbane on DAB there.

And while we’re on that, why haven’t NE put Star 104.5 on DAB in Sydney? Would seem a no brainer.

5 Likes

What would be great if adjacent markets ran a different music log, e.g Albury Fox, Wagga Hit 105 and this was a case for all adjacent markets.
Would they need two announcers to do this or just have the one announcer in mornings / afternoons voice track the breaks for the two logs.

Gold Coast, relaying Brisbane won’t work and will make Hot Tomato even more dominant.

Re Newcastle, with Triple M Central Coast now a rock station and taking the Triple M Brisbane log, this is a perfect opportunity for Bill to blow up New fm and block any changes to Triple M Newcastle.

New Fm could relaunch as 105.3 NRock The Rock of Newcastle and take the BRock log.
This would upset SCA.

4 Likes

This is exactly what I was thinking - for those areas that receive more than one signal it could give some variety

3 Likes

I wonder how many Triple M Sydney listeners will sample Triple M Central Coast now they are a full rock station and taking the Brisbane playlist?

2 Likes

How many will know the music has changed?

5 Likes

I think very little.

We flick and find out because we’re interested in the media or work within or around it.

If you look at the research at what prompts people to switch and be curious by sampling, you’d find overspill stations are right down the list for most of the general audience.

The readers and contributors of Mediaspy are but a tiny microcosm.

9 Likes

As of Monday, 963 Triple M Limestone Coast has been networking Mornings with Minty from 9.00am & Al Shield from 12.00pm, previously local breakfast has gone until 10.00am, Sean Craig Murphy from Adelaide 10 to 12.00pm, then Guy Mylecharane from 12 to 4.00pm. Not sure where Minty is been networked from, most likely from Queensland I guess.

2 Likes

He’s been hosting mornings on 4TO/Triple M Townsville for a while now, should imagine he’s still based there.

4 Likes

Interesting how they’ve consolidated the networked shifts back to Townsville. For a while, the Sea/Star/Hot (and later Hit) networked shifts were done from the Gold Coast, but they too have shifted to Townsville in the past 2 years.

5 Likes