Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

When I lived in Townsville with my family in the 70s (so long ago ) I remember them as 4AY,4TO was their main commercial AM station.i think it was about the mid 90s they converted to FM

2 Likes

Yeah heard it was on the way home from Gosford. I got in the car just earlier so didn’t ring hear it, will at other stations get to give away 10k

RadioWest will change to a Classic Hits format from Monday September 5.

Makes sense, considering they’re all AM stations. After all, AM stations 2WG, 2RG, 4GR & 5SE have a Classic Hits format, whilst 2MC & 103.5 Mix FM (Maryborough/Fraser Coast) are the only SCA-owned FM stations to carry the format due to its large retiree demographic in both respective markets.

For the Bunbury market, RadioWest under a Classic Hits format would provide a musical point-of-difference to Spirit Radio, which the latter has a more modern AC format.

1 Like

And the 774 AM signal covers how far south?

Pretty sure the 774 tower is gone now

http://forums.mediaspy.org/t/radio-history/236/22?u=australianaerial

Maybe something to do with tropical cyclones and people having portable AM radios… Only guessing though.

2 Likes

Maintenance costs for the masts became too high. The licence was not a permanent one, but a rolling one that could be rejected at any time, so it didn’t warrant significant investment.

3 Likes

I remember in the 80s getting decent 4TO reception between Prosperine and Bowen.

1 Like

Rick Lenarcic Head of Regional Media for SCA has announced a number of changes to the management structure of their regional ops.

Ashley Myatt NSW Regional General Manager, who currently oversees all of regional NSW will now be responsible for the Northern NSW television and their radio markets. So Ash will cover off the Northern Rivers TV (NRTV) national sales business unit and will also have a greater focus on Newcastle and Gosford which are SCA’s 2nd and 3rd largest regional radio revenue markets.

In addition to his current responsibilities in Victoria and South Australia, Rod Winner will also be responsible for the Southern NSW region. Rod will become the Southern Regional General Manager for SCA. Rod will be supported by Jason Priestley who will take on the role of GM Central and Western Victoria. Jason will oversee the markets of Ballarat, Bendigo and Shepparton and continue to report to Rod.

Also in Victoria, Steve Hetherton will take up the role of Sales Director in Shepparton reporting to Leanne Hulm.

Ken Wood will join the SCA regional leadership team as the North Queensland GM overseeing Cairns, Townsville and Mackay. Most recently Ken has been the South East Queensland manager for the APN media group and prior to that Ken was the Sales Director of the 7Queensland television group. He has also held General Manager roles in both Townsville and Rockhampton. Ken will report to Tim Davenport, Regional General Manager QLD, who has taken on additional responsibilities in managing the group’s regional radio hub on the Gold Coast.

“These changes will enable our leaders to best manage their respective areas across the large geographical spread of our radio and television assets”, said Rick Lenarcic.

Mmmmm, on such considerations, when will 4GR receive a new stick? Chappo has been keen to replace since the time before last when he was ‘chief solderer’ there.

After 15 years with the station, Paul Gale is leaving Sea FM Gold Coast, where he has been presenting breakfast. Following his announcement, his breakfast co-host Charli Robinson is also leaving the station, meaning that ‘Galey & Charli’ will finish up on Sea FM Gold Coast breakfast at the end of this year.

More: http://www.radiotoday.com.au/news/whats-new/9669-paul-gale-exits-sea-fm-gold-coast.html

Good.

1 Like

Maybe Bella Frizza could move to breakfast, she does have a higher profile after being on Married At First Sight.

Yep, I certainly would not be terribly surprised if Bella Frizza gets a promotion to 90.9 Sea FM breakfast in 2017 after her higher profile from Married At First Sight this year.

I wonder who’d they’d use as a co-host though. Certainly in a market like the Gold Coast, I doubt they’d have only one presenter on at breakfast.

1 Like

I don’t like hearing Bella Frizza on shift let alone breakfast.

2 Likes

Triple M will be expanded into regional markets next year, with 30 of SCA’s regional stations currently under the LocalWorks network to be “brought into the Triple M family”.

Also, the Hit branding is set to expand beyond the capital cities, which will include 45 regional stations by the end of the year.

Source: Radioinfo

Wonder which ones? Cross over markets will be tough. I think it’s a bit of a double edged sword, not sure if it will be good or bad, time will tell

It’s about time NXFM 106.9, Sea FM 101.3 and Sea FM 90.9 were re-branded to Hit. It would be interesting if KOFM 102.9 was re-branded to Triple M.

Here’s Radio Today’s article: http://www.radiotoday.com.au/news/whats-new/9694-sca-to-rebrand-regional-to-hit-and-triple-m.html

1 Like

I don’t know how they make those numbers (30 regional localworks and 45 regional hit stations) work.

The same report states that they have 78 - and that includes 10 metro stations (Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth), leaving 68 regional stations.

My Calculations give them a total of 78 stations made up of:
10 metro stations
38 regional hit stations (Star FM, Hot FM, Sea FM, NXFM, hit104.7, hit100.9)
29 regional localworks stations (including KOFM, Gold FM, RadioWest etc)
Mix 106.3 Canberra (ARN branding as part of Canberra FM joint venture, sometimes grouped with the localworks stations)

In addition, Sea FM Sunshine Coast, Mix FM Sunshine Coast, Hot FM Charters Towers and 4GC Charters Towers are not owned by SCA but take SCA branding and programming, so there’s potential for some or all of these stations to also be re-branded.

1 Like