Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

The people in Ayr, near Townsville will be happy. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This is licensed to the Burdekin Shire Council as a retransmission licence. They also have one for 4TO on 92.3.
No sign of any for the Grant Broadcasters stations- possibly due to them having never activated their Bowen translators.

You guys donā€™t miss much :wink:

2 Likes

I think more likely it will send them into a tailspin of confusion.

They wonā€™t know how to retune their radios, they have already shown their incompetence with digital TV. :blush:

2 Likes

According to the ACMA database, the callsign of Hot FM Townsville has changed from 4RAM to 4TSV.

1 Like

TSV suits much better as ā€œTSVā€ is the commonly used abbreviation for Townsville locally.

Why was it originally ā€œRAMā€? What was that meant to represent?

TSV is also Townsvilleā€™s airline code. Iā€™m guessing someone at SCA is a aviation enthusiast! Probably the same one who was at DMG when Nova and Star FM launched. All the Nova callsigns are the airport codes of said cities, as are many of the Star FMā€™s.

My guess is that it perhaps it referred to/referenced a former station owner?

Was there ever a connection between the old 891 4RR and HOT FM?

If so, my guess is itā€™s a reference to 4RR AM.

Edit: Wikipedia states 4RR did become HOT FM.

Ahhā€¦ The Old Reef Radioā€¦4RR. From memory, used to be 891. Used to be a favourite of my grandad before they switched over to Hot FM.

RAM represented an old owner and GMā€™s names. Not relevant so changed to something more meaningful :wink:

4 Likes

Yes, 891, and before that it was based down the road at Ayr as 936 4AY (they mustnā€™t have been able to cope with having a local station!).

Interesting too that a community station in Charleville now uses the 4RR call sign, though on FM.

1 Like

IIRC the change from 4AY to 4RR Reef Radio would have also seen a new antenna system with 5kw to better reach Townsville.

1 Like

2GO gave away their 10k yesterday. Is that the only person across the whole network or just on 2GO

just on 2GOā€¦ I was in Woy Woy when it happenedā€¦ we thought we heard Road to Nowhere on Star about an hour earlier so we didnā€™t ring through. Bella from Halekulani won.

When I lived in Townsville with my family in the 70s (so long ago ) I remember them as 4AY,4TO was their main commercial AM station.i think it was about the mid 90s they converted to FM

2 Likes

Yeah heard it was on the way home from Gosford. I got in the car just earlier so didnā€™t ring hear it, will at other stations get to give away 10k

RadioWest will change to a Classic Hits format from Monday September 5.

Makes sense, considering theyā€™re all AM stations. After all, AM stations 2WG, 2RG, 4GR & 5SE have a Classic Hits format, whilst 2MC & 103.5 Mix FM (Maryborough/Fraser Coast) are the only SCA-owned FM stations to carry the format due to its large retiree demographic in both respective markets.

For the Bunbury market, RadioWest under a Classic Hits format would provide a musical point-of-difference to Spirit Radio, which the latter has a more modern AC format.

1 Like

And the 774 AM signal covers how far south?