Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

On the top of the music logs it has triple m local works logo on the top right hand side.

Interesting to see what happens, may even use their own colours in the gradient of the MMM logo for different areas (yellow and blue KOFM, blue and orange 4TO)

They could call them Triple AM.

3 Likes

Why do you say this?

Don’t you think that there’s the potential for listener confusion if SCA eventually go all out with this network branding with Hit 104.1/101.3/106.9 & Triple M 104.9/107.7/102.9 for Sydney/Central Coast/Newcastle and Hit 105.3/90.9 & Triple M 104.5/92.5 for Brisbane & the Gold Coast?

2 Likes

Will Mix 106.3 in Canberra become Triple M, and Canberra will once again have a rock station?

In the Sydney / Central Coast / Newcastle market changing Sea to Hit 101.3 would be a no brainer as there is no Hit branding in Sydney to cause conflict. Maybe 2GO stays the same and KO fm becomes Triple M due the greater distance separation from Sydney.

When these stations become Triple M will they become rock stations or continue with their current formats which could confuse the Triple M brand.

3 Likes

I would have thought that they would keep their existing formats - a rock format would be to niche for regional markets, many of which only have 2 stations. Though I do agree that different formats would compromise Triple M’s rock image. Maybe a sub-branding like what they have with “Classic Triple M” in Adelaide could work.

1 Like

There possibly is but then again I don’t know why people would get confused. TV branding seems to be going this way with regional v metro branding so I don’t know why radio would be any different.

1 Like

The “official” announcement is supposed to come out Friday. The annual report has been removed from the SCA corporate site. Click on the 2016 report and it takes you 2015’s report.

Interesting to see how many regional Local Works on air staff are still around this time next year. Hello networking!

That’s only one link that goes to http://www.scaannualreport.com.au/ - it hasn’t been updated to 2016 yet.
All other links go to to 2016 report and are still active: http://www.southerncrossaustereo.com.au/wp-files/uploads/2016/09/SXL-Annual-report-2016.pdf

Triple M are going Country Re-Branding, However Four of those Stations, 2WG Wagga, 2RG Griffith, 4GR Toowoomba and 5SE Mount Gambier and the Limestone Coast are still on AM with no FM Conversion Likely for either station, Unless DRM arrives in Australia.

That’s not entirely correct. 2WG, 2RG, 5SE, and most of the AM stations in WA may be able to convert to FM. From ACMA 18 July 2016:

http://www.acma.gov.au/~/media/mediacomms/Events/Spectrum%20Planning%20Tune%20Up%20June%202016/Alastair%20Gellatly%20-%20Broadcast%20Spectrum%20Planning%20Section%20pdf.pdf

2 Likes

So will all the FM ‘Localworks’ stations rebrand to Triple M?

The Border Mail says Albury-Wodonga’s two SCA-owned stations, Star FM is to be renamed Hit and The River will be Triple M.

1 Like

Wonder what they’ll do in Bundaberg where they have Sea FM but the other FM station in town is already called Hitz

2 Likes

That was going through my mine as well :confused:

What about the Sunshine Coast too? Hot 91.1 and Hit 91.9 - that will also get confusing

1 Like

Just add an “S” to it… (S for Sunshine Coast, that is).

1 Like

It’s a bit sad that we’re losing more branding diversity, and potentially some heritage callsigns on-air, in favour of these bland one-size-fits-all brands that will do nothing for these stations’ local profiles.

More important that the SCA accountants are pleased, it seems.

5 Likes

No. KO-FM is (at this stage) keeping its name. Others are hoping to as well.

3 Likes

Since it’s even closer to Sydney than KOFM is, you’d think that 2GO has more than a half decent change of keeping it’s local name?