Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

Aside from maybe local advertising, GTS & BKN have essentially been one and the same for many years (if not decades) now though?

2 Likes

Probably… I don’t think they ever had split programming in the winter months for different football codes? Thus I imagine BKN has always taken the same Australian Rules matches that were aired on GTS?

2 Likes

Broken Hill has always been more South Australian rather than New South Welsh in sporting codes, timezones, businesses.

4 Likes

Yes, I don’t think they ever even showed State Of Origin there, despite being in NSW, not at least until SCN or BDN licences we’re granted.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Apologies for quoting a very old post, but couldn’t find an answer to a query. Mix 106.3 in Canberra have been using a variation of the Moonman in the Morning song to promote their brekky show. It starts with “I said, Wake up Canberra…” and then just continues sans lyrics underneath show highlights.

Are any other regional stations doing their own localised version?

5 Likes

Coffs Harbour is. “I said hey, Coffs Harbour! You’ve got Moffee in the Morning!”

4 Likes

I thought when the regionals M’s went back to playing The Greatest Hits just recently, they would of cut back on playing Guy Sebastian and Pink 20 times a day and widen their playlist a lot.
No - They are still playing the same repetitive cheap pop crap when they we doing the Feel Good format.

5 Likes

Yes, they still play it, but not as much.
The playlist is still pretty predictable though.

3 Likes

I was talking to a few mates this afternoon and the said it is always worst when the afternoon announcer Al is on and the weekends.

3 Likes

I’m hearing ya, but i actually prefer the regional playlist than the metro. Metro doesn’t play any pop at all but boy it’s narrow. I like the regionals to get some more variety.

2 Likes

Yeah, doesn’t sound any different to the feel good playlist in my opinion.

2 Likes

If that’s the case don’t listen to any MMM regional station for a week. It’s basically the same songs played in a different order each day. Heck I’d even drag the phone out to listen to Classic Rock Digital for the same reason you listen to the regional stations.

3 Likes

Unfortunately mmm are not alone, all stations seem the same now days

4 Likes

From Radioinfo:

As SCA takes control of the Spirit Network in Western Australia, there is one station still left with an uncertain future, Spirit FM in Bunbury, previously known as 6EL on AM 621.

Rumours are strengthening that the station will be sold to SEN, perhaps as soon as next week, when the rest of the network is scheduled to rebrand to Hit and Triple M.

As a public company, SCA would not be able to comment on the sale until it is finalised and notified to the stock exchange. Radioinfo believes the in-principle sale has been agreed but not yet legally finalised.

Read more here.

3 Likes

Will be interesting to see how this rumoured 621 SEN Bunbury will meet local content requirements.

Maybe it will be a local breakfast with a music focus - that’s about the only way they could do it?

Doing a locally produced 3 hour sports show each day with some sort of local sports content would be too expensive for the small population it serves.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I don’t think they need to worry. ACMA let 4FC in Maryborough get away with no local content whatsoever, just a relay of 4TAB

3 Likes

4FC in Maryborough, along with 3BT Ballarat & 3SR Shepparton, are exempt from local content rules, as they hold a regional racing service radio licence.

Source: Local Radio Content in Regional Areas | ACMA

6 Likes

Going by the latest Melb survey, SEN could argue they’re of limited appeal.

Still, more local content on SEN than 4BC. Great to be in a metro market and have none of the regulatory requirements.

3 Likes