Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

SCA in WA has restructured its regional leadership team following its acquisition of Redwave stations from Seven West Media. The following changes will take effect from Monday 16th March:

• Amy Collett becomes Group Content Director for Hit WA to be based out of Perth.

• Dan Cole will become Triple M Content Director North West - covering Karratha, Port Hedland, Broome, Geraldton, Triple M WA & Kalgoorlie.

• Jarred O’Brien will become Group Content Director for Triple M South West - covering Bunbury, Albany, Esperance, Northam & Merredin, Narrogin & Katanning.

Source: Radioinfo

5 Likes

What roles were Dan and Jarred in prior?

1 Like

Dan Cole was Network Content Director for Redwave, whilst Jarred O’Brien has already been part of SCA Bunbury on an unknown role.

3 Likes

Natalie “Herbie” Herbstreit has been announced as Elly Chaney’s replacement on Hit96.9 Goulburn Valley breakfast, starting March 4 (link). Herbstreit jumps to Shepparton from SCA Wagga

5 Likes

Staying with SCA (like how Gemma Maddox and Jess Farchione used 96.9 Shepparton as a stepping stone to larger markets) or moving on? I vaguely remember us talking about Elly joining the station from Nova Perth about two years ago!

2 Likes

Elly jumped to Sea FM Sunshine Coast with Becks to host their new local drive show; started earlier this month

2 Likes

Ive listened to that show a bit
they have no chemistry… old beckys has lost the fire he had when he was part of the benchwarmers.
Elly seems like a nice chick… but she needs to learn its not all about her.

Just my opinion as a radio listener :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So reading between the lines, I assume Hit WA will be one stream statewide as it is right now, and Triple M will be split into two streams, North West and South West?

3 Likes

I reckon all Triple M stations in WA will be identical on air except for breakfast and advertising. I think all markets will take the same log.

3 Likes

Nice to read Mal Lewis remains in the radio game. He’s a good operator and I think most recently at ARN Melb?

I bet you have. Yes, noticed same unfortunately. It’s all in Beck’s court, he’s the leader, he’s the one to mentor her. Perhaps being on air at presumably the end of his work day isn’t gelling that well?

@TV-Expert, thank you, great to know about the WA roles. Jarred originally getting experience at Collie community radio.

2 Likes

According to Classic Hits 666 on Facebook. Phil Youd and his business partner who formed Hits Radio reportedly sold the stations 666 and Hit 99.7 to SCA yesterday. This will now leave West Coast Radio in Mandurah as the last independent commercial broadcaster in regional WA.

8 Likes

With the exception of the West Coast Radio stations in Mandurah & the recently Crocmedia-acquired 621AM in Bunbury, that would mean that every commercial radio station in WA outside of Perth will be either a Triple M or Hit.

4 Likes

Triple 6 Triple M would be kind of confusing.

Might have to be “6 Sixty Six Triple M”.

4 Likes

Won’t be long before SCA make an offer for Gold MX Albany to turn it into Triple M Country. Or Crocmedia to make it SEN 1611, although they have committed to 1620 so far.

4 Likes

I wonder if Phil Youd also sold his 87.6 LPON licence to SCA. On air as Carnarvon FM, a great sounding FM stereo country music station and a possible candidate for Triple M Country.

What a busy few weeks for WA regional radio. Be interesting to see what local content is retained once these brand changes are complete.

3 Likes

Not surprising since they have a large amount of content provided by Redwave - in the form of shifts voice tracked specifically for Carnarvon by Redwave announcers. That source of content was likely to dry up and SCA offered enough money for Phil to retire.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say a large amount. Only two announcers on Hot Hits also work on Redwave. None of the announcers on 666 work for Redwave.

My guess is the stations will cease being a standalone and will just be absorbed commercials and all into the remote feed that goes to mine sites and other towns

4 Likes

So they could cover the 30 mins of local content required each day with news, weather and community service announcements?

6 Likes

They’ll find a way to do it. I don’t think it will be viable to have Carnarvon as a standalone maybe that’s why Phil got out. SCA will probably put them in the same boat as Merredin, Katanning etc in terms of market status.

3 Likes

Wait what? Is that their only WA station? Very odd.

3 Likes