Southern Cross Austereo (Company)

The fact that Kyle Sandilands would be happy to hire someone who streaked at a football match possibly says something about the working culture at his radio program? :confused:

Either way, they’re both moronic d***heads IMO!

4 Likes

A better job, obviously.

People will do anything to get a promotion in media.

Happy now? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Both of them (Mr Cooper and Kockhead Kyle) can fuck right off.

3 Likes

News Corp reports Matthew Cooper has been sacked by SCA as the result of the investigation.

4 Likes

Dave Hughes hosted the drive show from the new Brisbane studios yesterday.

3 Likes

From Radioinfo:

Southern Cross Austereo will outsource all of its radio and television broadcast transmission services to Broadcast Australia.

The transition will begin almost immediately and is expected to be completed by March next year.

Read more here.

3 Likes

SCA already sold 45 transmission sites in early 2017 to Axicom. Seems SCA is outsourcing whatever they can.

2 Likes

Does this mean 2Day / Triple M will now move from Artarmon to the Gore Hill tower full time?

Would SCA 9 Wollongong potentially move from the Win tower to the BA tower on Knights Hill?

1 Like

Maybe. At my home location near Campbelltown, using my rotatable antenna, 9 Wollongong is the weakest of all the stations I receive from Knights Hill. ABC & SBS from the BA tower are among the strongest stations I receive from there, so it’s possible that my fortuitous reception of 9 Wollongong would be improved if it moves from the WIN tower to the BA tower.

1 Like

Hope not.
Artarmon reception is significantly better than Gore Hill where I am.
Shame goes for WS and KIIS.
Smooth and Nova are okay for me (not quite as good as Artarmon though), as they are on a different higher powered antenna at Gore Hill.

2 Likes

Nine moving to the BA tower on Knights Hill would not be good for me.
The broadcasts from the Win tower are by far the strongest. ABC tv the weakest of the received. SBS not receivable unless there is strong tropo.

3 Likes

No, TXA has the SCA maintenance contract, SCA still owns all the Syd, Mel, Bris, Adel, Perth transmitters, with maintenance done by TXA.
Not sure how long that contract still has to run, possibly 10 years or more?

Then again, who knows, if paying out contract compensation works out cheaper, they may do that?

4 Likes

Why own transmitters but contract maintenance elsewhere? Does it make the balance sheet look good?

3 Likes

I own a car but get a mechanic to undertake the servicing, not really a different situation

6 Likes

Thought of that but discounted as every radio station should have engineering staff capable of the whole broadcast chain and associated IT. This is where innovation comes from that often shapes programming and sales.

2 Likes

I doubt it is just that though - transmission sites are significant items of infrastructure that require ongoing work to remain operational and will have licencing and safety requirements to maintain.

While SCA may have the ability in house to get a signal to the site, thats only part of the work required (and may not actually be part of any maintenance contract)

This kind of outsourcing of infrastructure maintenance is far from rare

2 Likes
2 Likes

Think you’ll find BA own the Metro transmitters now as well…

2 Likes

Discussing at work yesterday, yes we think so too now, TXA know nothing about this, other than what’s reported in the news, so don’t know what’s going to happen with the maintenance contract now?

3 Likes

I haven’t seen it anywhere here, but not to say it hasn’t been mentioned?

Further to SCA getting rid of all it’s transmission facilities to BA, all SCA TV play-out is being transferred to NPC Media (along with Nine & Seven Networks).

This means technically SCA are no longer a broadcaster, they are only content providers, everything past the end of the studio is performed by others, they no longer do program distribution (now Telstra’s DVN), TV play-out (by 2020 NPC Media) & no longer transmission TV or Radio (now Broadcast Australia).

It wouldn’t surprise me if BA get all the licences also (SCA will fight but probably lose), with BA being the owners & operators of all the transmission facilities, they technically should own the licences not SCA who have nothing to do with transmissions now.

I believe the remaining TX assets not previously purchased by Axicom were old & decrepid & in bad need of replacement (now BA’s problem) so to cut costs it’s easier for SCA to offload to someone else, but they’ve just ripped the guts out of the company, & pretty much killed local regional radio, this along with letting Kyle & Jackie O go to ARN (SCA’s still paying for that), I think is the stupidest thing SCA has done, & in a few years it might backfire & bite them hard.

I can see the day in the not too distant future, where it won’t just be Engineering staff being cut, but with the use of Zetta, they can shut up shop at all regional radio stations, & network the entire country out of 2 or 3 metro stations (after all they’re all Hit & Triple M now), & make it sound local (breakfast show for localism rules), similar to what Smooth FM does now outside of breakfast.

If SCA’s content tanks at any time, they have nothing left & the company will be worthless. Most or all of SCA’s new recently built studio complexes are leased also not owned, so gradually SCA as a company has less & less assets, they’re banking on their future with their content being the major (probably eventually only) assets.

If the content tanks, who’s going to buy parts or all of the company, no one will invest in the content that’s tanked, they’ll create their own new stuff, there won’t be any transmission facilities, & possibly no transmission licences & no studios to own. Other’s might pickup talent, but I doubt they’d be paying SCA for the staff, they’d do a deal direct with the talent & their management (if they have any).

7 Likes