Songs lost to radio

Most definitely - like right now they’re playing ‘She’s like the wind’… When I first arrived in Brisbane in Feb 1988 Dirty Dancing was in theatres…

It was still showing nine months later…

BTW… I’m loving the JAM jingles.

1 Like

Loving the jingles too! I remember them all.

Do you remember Stereo 10 had a ‘shop’?

it wasn’t really a shop but a couple of racks of merchandise next to the Myer Trend Shop at Myer… but they certainly promoted it as a shop…

I think there was also one in Surfers

1 Like

Yeah they were big on being an ‘SEQ’ station not just a Brisbane one.

Yes, 1008 reception on the Gold Coast was excellent.

Yes most definitely. A lot of my favourite jingles referenced “southern Queensland’s Stereo 10”. I think the height of this was the mid-80s when they even had a second studio at Grundy’s in Surfers Paradise. They definitely had a good signal into the Gold Coast at the time. But not just Gold Coast, they also positioned themselves as the hit music station for Sunshine Coast and even Toowoomba as well.

1 Like

So true!!! Rise and shine Southern Queensland, get up with the Morning Zoo…

1 Like

Kiwi girl singing about the great American political clan…

3 Likes

Great song!

A friend of mine thought that song was called “Glad I’m Not A Killer Bee”

1 Like

Good song. Got a lot of airplay in Australia. I even remember hearing it on 4BU in regional Qld back in the day. Loved “Drive” too.

I channel surfing today. SWR FM on 99.9 FM is playing All about soul by Billy Joel. Have not heard for ages. Its not bad station good mix of music. 70s to today. It is a Community Station.

In my view C91.3 or The Edge or go back to 2KA should have a similar format (though given its own by ARN it will never happen).

2 Likes

I like SWR FMs choice of popular music (that’s when they do play it of course :blush:).

SWR FM has a very consistent programming format for a sub-metro community radio station in Sydney, in which they have the “70s to Now” general music format throughout the day each weekday from 6am to 6pm, meaning that one could listen to the station throughout the day. They also have the “Awesome 80s” every Saturday from 4 to 8pm, which is probably the best 80s music program on Sydney radio.

In fact, you can see their playlist here: SWR 99.9 FM playlist

Given their central TX location at Horsley Park, SWR can be heard across most parts of Sydney, as well as the Blue Mountains, so it does provide a decent alternative to the Sydney commercial FM stations. It’s probably Sydney’s closest equivalent to River 94.9, despite the fact that River is a commercial station. :slight_smile:

I agree. Musically, it would provide a good point-of-difference to the main Sydney commercial FM stations, as well as providing local news & information that is relevant to the Macarthur region. Even right now, I think C91.3 plays a slightly broader variety of music than both i98 (sister station) & Wave FM in Wollongong.

Thanks for that re SWR.

I listen mostly in the evenings, where I find that they often have a foreign language program on.

I don’t always receive it up here either, but is usually receivable during the summer (I know I could always listen online).

I quite like C91.3’s music too.

Stereo 10 just played Double. Big song in NZ… I never remembering hearing it on Australian radio… though it did get a spin late one night on ‘MTV’ on Nine.

Yep I remember that song once I heard it again. I wouldn’t call it a big hit here by any means but it must have been on the airwaves here for me to remember it. Can’t recall if it was on Stereo 10 or FM104 or both, but I’m leaning towards FM104. Although if it did make the Top 40 it’s likely Stereo 10 played it at some stage, maybe Take 40 Australia. Was it a kiwi band? Kind of mellow but gets in your head kind of song and I remember the chorus well.

Just looking it up. They were Swiss. Big hit it UK and Europe (Top 10), US (Top 20), but only reached No. 64 in Australia. Very mellow but catchy, and as I say I remember it being played.

I don’t want Stereo 10 to end. Can we petition TAB?

1 Like

When I worked at the NZ pavilion at Expo 88 we would crank FM104 all day (from 10am till 10pm)…

as a teenager I wasn’t too keen on the ‘no repeat workday’… if I liked a new song I honestly wanted to hear it more than once…

Some FM104 tracks I remember from those days…

Venetians - So much for love
Adventures - Sea of love
Glass Tiger - Diamond Sun
Elton John - I don’t wanna go on with you like that

and this one:

2 Likes

Yeah particularly the Venetians song So Much For Love for me is a quintessential FM104 song. Random fact - that song made it to No. 1 on the Queensland charts only. Back in those days they had individual charts for each State which could be found in addition to the national Top 40. Usually just the Top 10 for each State. The Venetians song did ok in the rest of Australia but was a solid number 1 in Brisbane only, due to the massive airplay it got on FM104. Another song that was similarly skewed in the State charts was The Authority Song (John Cougar). My friend from Melbourne still recalls a road trip up the east coast of Australia from Melbourne to Brisbane and reckons he had never heard the song before he reached Brisbane - where he heard it a LOT on FM104 :slight_smile:

2 Likes