Songs lost to radio

I love a lot of Prince songs, but personally this isn’t one of them :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I heard The Nightowls by LRB on 4KQ as part of their top 9@9 this morning.

4 Likes

“Shattered Dreams” 1987 from Johnny Hates Jazz

7 Likes

Good song. I hear it on Absolute 80s at times.

3 Likes

Darude - Feel The Beat

Reached #20 in 2001, despite most radio stations trying to focus on Sandstorm.

3 Likes

I can spill the beans, spill the beans, spill the beans…

3 Likes

Nothing Can Divide Us by Jason Donovan. On SWR, to be honest I dont think 2day fm / Triple M played this song in 1988, they refused to play Kylie.

3 Likes

The two big hits by Al Stewart, “Year Of The Cat” and “Time Passages”.

Both great tunes with classic Alan Parsons production, but both largely lost to the sands of time.

3 Likes

I used to hear Year Of The Cat all the time (almost daily) at work for years. It drove me crazy!

1 Like

Yes great songs. Both played on 4KQ occasionally

2 Likes

Higher Than Hope- Daryl Braithwaite

Probably his best hit, but all you hear now is 'Orses and maybe One Summer.

7 Likes

I like “Let Me Be” and “One Summer” as other hits of his that as also deserve more airplay.

I also hear " As The Days Go By" a bit too.

4 Likes

Yes; I forgot to mention that one. ‘All I Do’ is another good one, rarely heard. I also recently rediscovered his minor hit ‘Barren Ground’ which I hadn’t heard since its 1994 release.

6 Likes

I really like “All I Do”

4 Likes

Mix 1023 in Adelaide have sometimes played it not very offen though it a awesome song

4 Likes

Guess what was played at 1452 today on 2XL/2GN? Someone there must lurk here!

Sorry for quoting myself like a pompous git, but whatever.

6 Likes

Does anyone regularly listen to stations in after-hour times? A lot of songs they regularly never play come up.

1 Like

Used to when I was at Uni at the start of the decade, then later when I was starting work but now with the semi mindless talkback now dominating the overnights I’m finding the after hours stuff is not a whole lot different, except maybe they’ll play extended versions from time to time.

4 Likes

Ca Plane Pour Moi by Plastic Bertrand just played on Mix 106.3, although it was credited to “Plastic Bertrand Band” on-air (due to the fact that the singer didn’t really provide lead vocals)

1 Like

I think this is the best thread to post this in…

Rage on ABC on a Saturday night is playing old Countdown episodes in January. Loving the music and the many hits we no longer hear. Too many to mention. Laurie Anderson’s “O Superman” was the most bizarre. The Human Leagues “Love Action”. I flashed back so fast that I nearly needed to call an ambulance. Melissa Manchester? Wow.

Loved last night’s first episode from 1982 when they played Cliff Richard’s “The Only Way Out”. Greedy Smith and another member of Mental As Anything made complete fun of the song. Ahhhhh, when the media was no so rehearsed and safe. The teenagers of the 80s had it good.

In Molly’s segment he had a go at Sydney’s 2SM and Triple M for not picking up John Cougar Mellencamp’s “Hurt So Good”. How funny - one of the most overplayed hits ever was not originally heard on either station.

8 Likes