Songs lost to radio

@Laoma, Always and Ever and Heart In Danger are SWR staples, surprised you haven’t heard them before

Hey Matt no I didnt hear them, shame on me not listening enough :smile:.Lesson learnt I should post on the Great Songs played on radio.

2 Likes

Tie me Kangaroo down sport by Rolf Harris. Its time is dong a chart show on HHH fm from 1960. Its a different world back then. Sometimes I wish I could take my am radio back then and just tune in for a bit, and go visit my grandparents and watch a game of rugby league plus go to a cricket test match. Most of the songs are lost to commercial radio except the odd sing on 2ch.

Imagine the great music my old folk had to look forward too 60, 70 and 80s. Beatles mania.

1 Like

Yeah…I can imagine some very good reasons why that song would be lost to radio in 2019!

3 Likes

Yes but even before he went to gaol Rolf Harris tracks were still lost to radio.

1 Like

Heres another one.

Alley Oop by The Hollywood Argyles.

Dont think 2ch would play this song today?

1 Like

Rocky FM 93.9 from Young, while working out in the country last weekend: Money Don’t Matter 2 Night by Prince. Haven’t heard it since the 90’s (well at least on Sydney radio) and probably wouldn’t care if I don’t hear it again for another few decades!

3 Likes

Fun fact Sukiyaki by Kyu Sakamoto was the only number 1 hit from a Japanese artist in Australia. This was in 1963. The Its time show is featuring this week on the 24th August 1963 on hhh fm.

1 Like

Other highlights.

Some of the music had an innocent feel like Surf city by Jan & Dan. Two girls for every boy. Not sure if you get away with that today . :blush: A song I liked when I was a kid listening to classic hits in the 80s. Two girls for every boy every young male teenagers dream.

Your a devil in disguise by Elvis was a song ahead of its time.

1 Like

I don’t know if this has played on the radio in the past decade… Maybe heard it once?

1 Like

“If She Knew What She Wants” by the Bangles.Stations like 97.3 should play this one instead of the overflogged ,”Manic Monday “

3 Likes

A couple I heard the other day on a stores PA system that had me humming away

The Simple Life and Have A Little Faith by John Farnham. Remember hearing both a lot when they were released.

2 Likes

Agree! “Walking Down Your Street” is another one, though it barely hit the charts here (got to #56 according to Wikipedia).

2 Likes

Heard this on Stereo 10. Very young Kate Ceberano)

3 Likes

The last time I probably heard a sample of this was watching a 1996 SANFL game covered by the ABC (Used some of it as the background to their opener that season).

1 Like

That’s my favourite Bangles song. They are such an under played band unfortunately. Walking Down Your Street and Hazy Shade Of Winter are also great.

2 Likes

A slightly forgotten example, The KLF (as The Timelords)‘s "Doctorin’ The Tardis". Love how the sleeve claims that their car produced the song!

Because the Stadium House Trilogy is long-forgotten, I doubt this and “Justified & Ancient (Stand By The JAMs)” are the only KLF songs most radio stations play nowadays

3 Likes

On the topic of Linkin Park, I’m pretty sure “Burn It Down” got some airplay back in 2012

I haven’t heard this on commercial radio in a very long time:

It was thrashed at the time of its release, though (25 years ago!)

4 Likes

I’m aware that Prince’s “The Most Beautiful Girl In The World” has been affected by a never-ending lawsuit over Italian plagiarism, but that doesn’t stop it from being slightly lost-to-radio, and it comes on every once-in-a-while.

(There are a lot of versions of the video popping up on YT, this is the best I could find currently)

2 Likes