Social Media

1 Like

I absolutely agree with this. I was trying to find a way to switch off Reels from insta but it’s notpossible on your phone app but apparently you can switch them off if you’re accessing Insta from a laptop.

I think they need to roll back further and remove Reels from the Instagram feed. Put Reels in a separate section like Stories.

1 Like

ACCC to examine competition and consumer concerns with social media

The ACCC’s Digital Platforms Services Inquiry will examine the state of competition for social media services in Australia as part of the sixth interim report of the ACCC’s five-year Digital Platform Services Inquiry.

The ACCC will also consider potential consumer issues, including the way that businesses are using social media advertising services such as display advertising, sponsored posts and paid influencers to engage with and advertise to consumers.

The sixth interim report will build on and update the extensive analysis of competition in the social media services sector, published in the ACCC’s 2019 Digital Platforms Inquiry.

Businesses, consumers and other stakeholders are encouraged to respond to an issues paper released today, which will inform the sixth interim report.

The ACCC will examine competition issues involving social media services, including barriers to entry and expansion faced by new platforms, and hurdles and costs faced by consumers and businesses when they try to switch services.

The ACCC will also consider consumers’ experiences with social media, including through the impact of scams and the risk of being exposed to misleading or deceptive content by businesses through social media.

“Social media has become an essential tool for many businesses as they seek to widen their customer bases and engage and communicate with consumers, and for individual consumers to connect and communicate with each other and access critical information,” ACCC Chair Gina Cass-Gottlieb said.

“We want to hear from businesses and consumers about their experiences with social media services, including with Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and Snapchat. We hope to examine trends in user preferences and engagement over time, and consider how users choose social media services.”

In its Digital Platforms Inquiry, the ACCC concluded that Facebook (now Meta) had substantial market power in the provision of social media services in Australia. This report will update the ACCC’s assessment of these services and consider changes that have occurred since 2019.

“We are also eager to receive feedback on the barriers to entry and expansion for social media services in Australia, and if new entrants such as TikTok have changed the competitive landscape for social media services in Australia,” Ms Cass-Gottlieb said.

The ACCC is also seeking views on the use and abuse of social media services for scams and misleading or deceptive content. Australians lost more than $144 million to scams on social media in 2021, almost double the amount recorded in 2020 and four times the amount in 2017.

Views on the effectiveness of processes offered by social media platforms for consumers and business to report potentially misleading claims in social media advertising are also encouraged.

Submissions can be made to digitalmonitoring@accc.gov.au by 9 September 2022.

Will it get to the point that TikTok is banned?

Trump not banning it while he was in office was a disappointing move. I personally think the Democrats are too scared of alienating young voters to do it, and I suspect this is a big part of any move on not banning it in other western countries.

1 Like

Problems with Facebook this afternoon esp the News Feed filling with random posts about celebrities.

Update:

2 Likes

1 Like

Twitter is currently planning to charge $19.99 for the new Twitter Blue subscription. Under the current plan, verified users would have 90 days to subscribe or lose their blue checkmark. Employees working on the project were told on Sunday that they need to meet a deadline of November 7th to launch the feature or they will be fired.

Twitter is dead if that happens. Something else will come along to take its place and it’ll fade into obscurity just as MySpace did.

4 Likes

One can only hope. Most social media platforms have a big problem with toxicity but none have quite had the disastrous impact on modern society and political discourse, or as large a problem with trolling, with relatively little benefit, as Twitter. At least Facebook has had a relatively positive impact in keeping families and friends connected to offset the negative side/trolling that is all too common there too.

3 Likes

It baffles me that a billionaire can just splash cash and take over something that is so entrenched in peoples lives today. For good or not.

I have been meaning to look further into it, but how did the sale come about initially? Was Twitter up for sale, of did Musk just throw the cash and it was too much to refuse?

At the end of the day, Twitter was a publically listed company that anyone (or any group) with the requisite resources (money) can use those resources to gain control of said company.

For all the talk of the “digital town square,” we have to remember that unlike the town square of old that was a public place, is that the digital equivalent is a privately owned and controlled one. They exist and are controlled at the whim of a few which is often proffered as being in the public interest, but rarely is that the case, rather it exists as a vehicle for some kind of gain (often at the detriment of user groups).

This gives a pretty decent rundown - basically, he became the largest shareholder and was offered a board seat (that would stop him from increasing his stake beyond a certain percentage and limit him bagging the platform) which he rejected saying he intended to take the company private.

1 Like

All Social Media platforms are one newly launched platform from being punted into obscurity - changing the verification process won’t be the thing that sinks Twitter (you’ll see who the vain blue-tickers are at least). What it does do is makes misinformation a lot easier to disseminate as it will become harder to trust handles

Seems ok to me

It’s not yet known how many Twitter employees working in Australia are affected.

1 Like