Social Media

Survey - Research into Jealousy and Surveillance on Facebook.

Tertiary institution and department: Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) University, School of Health & Biomedical Sciences.

Project researchers:

Chief Investigator: Associate Professor Sophia Xenos (Senior Lecturer (Psychology) School of Health & Biomedical Sciences, RMIT University) sophia.xenos@rmit.edu.au

Associate Investigator: Dr Melissa Monfries (Senior Lecturer (Clinical Psychology) School of Health & Biomedical Sciences, RMIT University) melissa.monfries@rmit.edu.au

Student Researcher * : Miss Jorja Fraser (Honours student (Psychology) School of Health & Biomedical Sciences, RMIT University) Jorja.fraser@student.rmit.edu.au

*This research project is part of a thesis for the student researcher, as part of an Honours degree in psychology that the student is completing.

Purpose of the survey:

In recent years, researchers have begun to investigate the impacts of Facebook use on romantic relationships. In particular, jealousy and interpersonal electronic surveillance have been found to increase with Facebook use. Research has suggested that age and relationship length may moderate this relationship. This survey aims to contribute to this growing research area by investigating the relationship between Facebook use and both Facebook Jealousy and interpersonal electronic surveillance, as well as the moderating effect of age and relationship length. (Note: You do not need to currently be in a romantic relationship to participate in this study).

Confidentiality & Security:

All data collected in this survey will be anonymous and non-identifiable. All data will be securely stored on password-protected servers at RMIT University for at least 5 years, accessible only by researchers. There is a possibility that this research will be published, in which case anonymous data may be stored indefinitely in a data repository.

This research project has been approved by the RMIT Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC).

Intended use of findings:

The findings of this research project will be included in a report as part of the student researcherā€™s Honours degree in psychology at RMIT University. This report may be published, in which instance all data will remain anonymous and non-identifiable.

Link to the survey:

https://rmit.au1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_aWZmM91s3b7NSsu

This survey will take approx. 10 minutes to complete.

ā€“ thank you so much to anyone that participates!

I answered the first question then it thanked me for my time and the survey was over. Lasted about 15 seconds in total instead of about 10 minutes, but it was still a waste of 15 seconds. It was a very similar non-experience to the some of the surveys at News Corpā€™s News Connect opinion website where they are after specific people so you donā€™t get past the first couple of questions.

Iā€™m sorry you feel those 15 seconds were wasted! Thank you still for clicking in with intentions to participate! Unfortunately I do need to include a selection criteria of Australians aged 18-60 (I believe this is the first question, so likely the one that you answered before being redirected to the thanks page), based on existing research into the area Iā€™m researching, and based on recommendations by my supervisors. The only specificities I have are that participants be 18-60, Australian residents, have been in a relationship at any point, and have a Facebook account.

Ah, youā€™ve come to the wrong forum for that.

3 Likes

Blocking and muting on a public account on Twitter is the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and singing La La La. The only advantage is that people canā€™t send the person a direct message. But a blocked person can still comment on a tweet by replying to someone elseā€™s comment. And they can read the tweets on an account they are blocked on by using a browser and not logging into Twitter.

The only accounts I have blocked on Twitter are scammers who have sent me phishing direct messages. Itā€™s pointless blocking anyone else.

I noticed one particular mildly famous person bragging today that they had blocked numerous accounts.

I donā€™t think this pops up in the ā€˜blockerā€™sā€™ timeline.

itā€™s not so much that people blocking someone care if they read their tweets (although in a small number of cases this is probably true), but they donā€™t want the person interacting with them.

I disagree. Iā€™ve blocked people who have been racist, abusive etc.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Facebook and most (all?) of its owned services are down and have been for around four hours now. Pretty funny.

1 Like

They are back online now.

UPDATE

The platform will be open to ā€œinvited usersā€ for a beta launch in November, with plans to make it available to the broader public in the beginning of next year.

1 Like

Whatā€™s with the ā€œIndian originā€ on that link (or whatever they are called)?

1 Like

Maybe a bad copy and paste?