smoothfm

Hopelly with smooth relax they will add more 60’s and 70’s songs to the playlist which the main fm stations currently lack

1 Like

I’ve posted the 9am-12pm log of Smooth Relax from this morning, in which I directly compared it with the main Smooth station. You see it on the link below.

1 Like

What I don’t get is why it is called smooth “Relax”.

Does that mean the FM music is more upbeat? Surely not. The branding is too similar and doesn’t sell the station enough.

I too would’ve simply rebranded as smooth Koffee.

3 Likes

What on earth does Koffee mean then.

2 Likes

I think they use Koffee because it has pleasant soothing connotations, which is the image I think they want to convey with their station.

A bit like what SCA have done with Buddha.

I think it’s a good name actually.

2 Likes

Yes. The music on Smooth FM has evolved to become more upbeat so they need to differentiate that. I think Smooth Relax is fine. It’s not ideal but it’s the same as what Smooth in the UK have done, launching Smooth Chill recently.

2 Likes

I agree. I’ve never understood the Koffee brand. How does that convey relaxation? Firstly it’s not even a word and I can’t stand made up words. Secondly coffee is a stimulant not a relaxation substance. I’m glad it’s gone.

2 Likes

The only place I heard it was in those fancy cafes with smashed avocado.

1 Like

I am seeing similarities in the evolution of Smooth and the old MIX106.5 in Sydney music wise.

Both started out as easy listening but both have evolved into more upbeat soft rock sounding stations.

Though Smooth has so far remained successful, whilst MIX didn’t ever each any great heights in Sydney.

1 Like

“Time to chill”, I guess have a coffee? It seems counterproductive to me.

This will upset many cellar doors that either stream in regional areas or on digital in Adelaide’s surrounding wine regions and Yarra Valley. A recurring trend I’ve noticed in my travels.

2 Likes

I’d imagine those that had Koffee on would now be tuning to either SBS Chill or Hit Buddha.

1 Like

I would tune to SBS Chill which is most similar, low clutter environment.

SCA digital stations have too many commercials for their audience size. Why have penny dreadful spots when you could have a few overflow inventory, neatly spaced.

1 Like

I agree. Plus, it’s available on DAB+ in every capital city, as well as on DTV across Australia.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Digital Radio

From Radioinfo:

Nova has quietly let its Koffee go cold and replaced it with two new relaxing music formats on digital under the smooth brand.

Following the trend set by other networks, Nova Entertainment has streamlined its brand identity so that the new digital stations align with the main smooth brand, which has rated so well in Sydney and Melbourne.

smooth Chill and smooth Relax can be heard on the smooth app and on DAB+.

Read more here.

Interesting that Smooth Chill is said to be a DAB+ station, when it’s not actually broadcasting on there, at least in Sydney.

This post on Koffee’s FB says that it’s only available online.

3 Likes

It was a bit misleading the post they put on Facebook:

“We listened!
Thanks for all your feedback
You love Koffee’s playlist
You love Koffee’s chill
On Wednesday the chill Chill will return”

It makes it seem like they were to bring Koffee back to digital radio to replace the smooth relax, and most people on Facebook thought the same. Not to have them make it online only.

4 Likes

I Hate it when Online radio stations hide their streaming urls/addresses. Without the streaming url’s I cant add it to my wi-fi radio. I cant see the point of them hiding the urls for? Does anyone have the steaming url to smooth chill so I can add it to my wifi radio?

Thanks

5 Likes

Maybe so that you have to go their website first where the hits generate revenue from banner ads and pop ups to help pay for it?

2 Likes

That’s the reason. I hate it too. The ads within the stream should make up for allowing anyone to access the URL and use the stream on any device they wish. It’s free ffs!

5 Likes

If you load it up in TuneIn on a web browser you can view the source code and find the actual streaming URL that way. I have done this previously to add a streaming URL to a BrightSign digital signage player. I’m not in front of a PC ATM so can’t give step by step instructions.

2 Likes