smoothfm

Is it just me or is Smooth starting to sound a bit “iHeart 80s” lately? Don’t get me wrong I love my 80s. They are still playing some easy listening 60s and 70s but seems to me a lot less lately. A response to Gold/WS?

Anyway I’m finding it a tiny bit less enjoyable lately. I think a couple of songs lately have made me roll my eyes - Atomic/Blonde and Don’t Want To Miss A Thing/Aerosmith

I think they need to be careful not to mess too much with what’s made them so successful…

3 Likes

I’ve noticed that too, and with a handful of obscure songs I’ve never heard before creeping in.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t be surprised. Smooth was programmed to combat Magic 1278 in Melb, targeted much of their cross over playlist, same could be done for Gold and WS.

Agree. How it impacts the core audience is another thing.

Paul Jackson and co seem to love reactionary programming, they’ve done it with Nova v 2DAY.

Are they the tracks mentioned by the announcer?

Not that I have heard.

1 Like

Interesting, so the songs remain obscure.

1 Like

Just heard an interesting sweeper on Smooth 95.3 Sydney

“This is Sydney’s favourite radio station”…

Unfortunately they seem to have forgotten that AM radio actually still exists and is home to the top 2 ranked stations in the most recent survey …. #1 (2GB) and #2 (702 ABC Sydney).

4 Likes

What I have been hearing is #1 music station. The one you mention is less frequent.

Lol just heard the “Smooth 91.5” jingle here in Sydney.

2 Likes

It was bound to happen sooner or later. I’m surprised I haven’t heard one already given the slip ups that I’ve heard on other networked stations.

1 Like

I heard a 91.5 promo on 95.3 on the weekend. It was the first time I had heard one. Smooth has increasingly been using the generic Smooth or Smooth FM.

2 Likes

I hear Smooth Digital on some of the voice tracked shows here in Brisbane on DAB. Other times it’s Smooth FM.

In the UK Smooth generally ID’s as Smooth Radio. Occasionally the announcer uses the London frequency during breakfast and mornings but they say “here in London on 102.2” or London’s Smooth 102.2. Most times it’s the generic Smooth Radio. Probably they avoid “FM” given over half of radio listening in the UK is on DAB.

3 Likes

According to Radioinfo, Katie Andersen has joined Smooth 95.3 as producer of Bogart & Glenn’s More Music Breakfast Show.

1 Like
2 Likes

Who is the Smooth PD? Do they have one currently?

All grabs attributed to Paul as we know he loves the limelight.

Late reply I know but as much as I love smooth, there seems to be some not-so-smooth tracks joining their playlist. Certainly making it less enjoyable than it was. I find myself listening to Easy Hits a bit more.

4 Likes

Agree mate. They’re playing a few songs, maybe 1 in 10 that are just not “smooth”. Especially in the breakfast show they have a few clangers. Hoping they don’t screw with it too much.

2 Likes

Less Current Upbeat Tracks, More 60’s and 70’s Favourites i say.

Maybe that might work for Smooth Melbourne, but here in Sydney I think adding 60s & 70s tracks might encroach too much on Classic Hits 2CH territory.

2 Likes

I just heard an “up tempo” Smooth 95.3 jingle, so that suggests to me that their music mix does seem to be evolving.

4 Likes