smoothfm

I’d honestly prefer it if Sydneysiders embraced the all locally generated content of 2CH (well OK, maybe not the religious stuff on Sunday or Bob Rogers’ sleep inducing Saturday night show, but the rest…) over the often pre-recorded/voicetracked stuff on Smooth 95.3.

However, I can understand why Smooth has been doing quite well in the ratings recently - it’s perhaps the closest thing that Sydney commercial FM radio currently has to what FM stations were like when they first launched almost four decades ago - an enjoyable music mix, a decent (at least by commercial FM standards) news service and minimal chit chat.

There of course, is also the fact that Smooth is on FM while 2CH has to rely on AM and DAB+. While the sound quality of 2CH’s Digital Radio channel sounds pretty damn good (as it probably always has), not everyone can access that in their cars, etc.

3 Likes

Tomorrow is Smooth’s 7th birthday:
https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/smoothfm-will-begin-its-7th-year-top

2 Likes

It’s weird they ignore the first seven years of 95.3 and 91.5. ABC Radio Sydney has never ignored their first nine years of existence before they became part of the ABC.

4 Likes

I think the first seven years of 95.3 Sydney/91.5 Melbourne are ignored (by the station, not us enthusiasts of course) because Vega, Classic Rock and that placeholder format weren’t very successful unlike Smooth FM!

3 Likes
3 Likes

I agree with what you’re saying there. I don’t listen to Smooth as much as I used to for that reason above.

To prove the point, here’s the music log from yesterday:
Smooth 95.3 - Sydney, NSW - Monday 8th July 2019 - 9am-6pm AEST

And there’s one from August last year for comparison:
Smooth 95.3 - Sydney, NSW - Thursday 16th August 2018 - 9am-6pm AEST

1 Like

Bring Back more 60’s and 70’s Please Smooth FM?

2 Likes

I’ve only been listening to Smooth on DAB for the last month and in that time I’ve noticed they do flog some songs,most time I still enjoy listening.Does Smooth on DAB differ much from Smooth FM?

A little bit.

Here’s the comparisons from today (9am-6pm):
Smooth 95.3 Sydney
Smooth DAB Brisbane

Jo Hall is filling in for Jennifer Hansen next week on smoothfm 91.5.

1 Like

Yes they were better 12 months ago IMO but still good.

2 Likes

4 Likes

That seems to suggest Jo is only filling in as newsreader, not as a presenter for Jennifer?

1 Like

Sounds like Mike is filling in for Jen and Jo is filling in for Mike.

1 Like

Not a regular listener but Jen Hansen is the newsreader but also contributes throughout the show. Gold FM is similar.

1 Like

Oh I thought Jennifer was the presenter and Mike the news reader.

Whoops.

1 Like

The artwork is very cheap, the “Join Mike…” photo.

1 Like

Hardly artwork - it’s been ripped from the station’s Instagram story

2 Likes

Exactly, it looks cheap on whatever medium it is.

2 Likes

I assume you don’t use instagram stories?

1 Like