Sky News

The more I think about it, a News Corp/Seven partnership for Sky News would be more beneficial for the service compared to News Corp simply owing it outright. Obviously from what has been reported, News will invest significantly in improving and expanding the channel while creating synergies between Sky and their newspapers. In addition without Nine in the picture anymore, we probably would see Seven allow their reporters to do live crosses and reports directly for Sky instead of just appearing in taped reports Sky pulls from the bulletins. It would massively improve Sky’s rolling news coverage in much the same way MSNBC relies upon NBC News for their news programming despite having opinion programming in primetime.

There’s also the possibility for some of Sky’s reporters (eg; David Speers) to appear on say Sunrise or Sunday Night to do special reports or discuss a big political interview Sky did so there’s potential benefits for Seven as well if this deal goes go ahead.

4 Likes

I have to agree that a News Corp/Seven partnership for Sky News would probably be more beneficial for the service compared to News Corp owning it outright.

Interesting too see Sky News has brought back set wide shots at the start of bulletins and voice over introductions.

1 Like

And suddenly sky news looks half decent.

1 Like

I don’t get the sudden Sky obsession with city skylines. That’s great for local tv news - but why national cable news?

The set panels have blue city skylines, then they put more blue city skylines on the video panels

It’s city skyline on city skyline - it’s overload. Looks so busy - and what is the relevance of having nighttime city skylines on morning and daytime shows? I just don’t get it.

I love it. Finally some effort in the presentation.

1 Like

Still shitty graphics, bad lighting, formulaic reporting, 2002 news scripts, etc. Worse than the ABC and Fox Sports News, as the two points of comparison.

Hurry up and buy 'em Rupe.

1 Like

the Friday Show with Janine Perrett was a laugh a minute yesterday afternoon - she had Alice Workman from Buzzfeed, some gossip columnist bloke and Bernard Keane on. Keane gives “resting bitch face” new meaning… the guy is as sour as a lemon farm. If you’re going to have a 2 hour talking head fest, at least get people who are good TV talent. Workman is, the two blokes had the personality of a wet fart on a winter’s afternoon. Just woeful.

Did anyone else catch Paul Murray Live last night? The first half of the program was dedicated to the 20th anniversary of Sky News Australia. Plenty of highlights and replays of the original launch - as well as a panel interview with launch presenters John Gatfield, Katrina Lee and Juanita Phillips.

I think SNA’s original graphics and presentation looked better than what they currently have! Definitely far more ‘polished’ - and less ‘in house’.

and then Katrina Lee was used as her Catholic spokesperson role to defend Pell against the sex abuse allegations levelled at him.

Sky have posted a video of the original launch which includes the ‘sizzle reel’ shown after the initial intro

3 Likes

Gosh I can’t believe they used the old tombstone Sky News intros when they launched. Also, SNA used the Sky News UK voiceover! That’s pretty cool.

1 Like

The new ticker and graphics has finally made it across to Sky News Business. Definetely a improvement although still looks very messy.

Some caps from Foxtel Play

1 Like

The graphics look a lot better!

Does anyone know what happen to the Media Week show that was on Thursdays on Sky News Business? Its been listed for 3 weeks this year and its never on.

It looks like Sky News Business have removed the show ‘Market Moves’ from their schedule as 4pm to 7pm programming get a slight refresh (Carson Scott now anchors the three hours with various guests).

TV Tonight is reporting that former Seven News Director Rob Raschke will be joining Sky News Australia as their Executive Editor.

If it wasn’t bad enough that Sky broadcast that brain-melting Pyne and Marles shit, replaying extended clips of it throughout the entire weekend news schedule when all they’re doing is repeating the stock standard talking points we’ve been hearing all week is just pathetic.