Sky News

Amazing. A year ago, a free to air slot seemed inevitable. Now we could lose Sky altogether.

Shame though, ABC News is a great service but it should always have competition.

4 Likes

Although I wouldn’t be exactly unhappy to see the likes of Paul Murray and Andrew Bolt lose their TV platform, I do agree that it would be a shame if Sky News closed down because many hard working journalists would be without a job.

ABC News is indeed an outstanding service but it should always have competition, as matlock rightly pointed out. The public is always better served with more media choices rather than less.

It feels like NewsCorp is just going to get as much out of media while the going is good. Seems like they can see the writing on the wall and want to make the big bucks before all the Streaming services steam roll them.

1 Like

I predict a last minute deal to save our right wing Fox News like channel … :stuck_out_tongue:

Bit unfortunate if Sky News goes offair soon, since I’ve just noticed they have a new look website:

1 Like

Caroline Marcus reading news tonight with Ahron Young is not great, I have to say.

1 Like

Was just coming to say that. And why do they always have the duo’s in seperate studios now? Its a bit dumb.

1 Like

Yeah not flash. And Ahron seemed to lob her a global warming question for a right wing take before I had to switch off. Seems half opinion, half news. Not for me,

How many weeks do they have left now though? It all sounds a bit desperate there at the moment

This might sound ludicrous but in my opinion just chuck it all off air, the Sky News Australia brand has become so toxic and an absolute mess. Just start fresh and have a mix of straight news broadcasts at least once every 3 hours rather than encores and political shows that talk pretty much about the same thing with stupid attitudes from low class people turned presenters. There also needs to be some sort of World news focused shows and maybe one that solely focuses on topics from newspapers as a point of difference.

3 Likes

I suspect Sky News Australia would be a bit better if it was operated as one good quality news channel rather than a poor quality network of services.

While the carriage deal ends on Sunday (December 31st), Sky can still be on air for a few weeks beyond that date if no deal is agreed to

2 Likes

She is like a carbon copy of Tomi Lahren in the US. She sees a market and goes for it, sadly Sky think this is what they should be doing, dumbing down the news with RWNJ’s.

So if they weren’t right wing then it wouldn’t matter? That’s not the problem. The problem is that there is far too much opinion than news for a news channel. This is as a result of the boss Angelos Frangopoulos who said that autocue newsreaders are in the past and the future is newsreaders who give their opinion. This is what he has done with Sky News having PVO on all day who injected his opinion into every news story, even having a former NSW Premier reading the news on occasions! And then of course endless nighttime political commentary giving 28 different opinions on the same stories. Look at what he and they have done to Fox Sports News.

This isn’t a right v left issue, but Sky is right wing which is why I made that comment.

Agreed. We don’t need a ‘Fox News Australia’ (or even a ‘lite’ copy of it) in a media landscape that is already so toxic.

1 Like

Well he should resign or be sacked because he has done nothing but make Sky Australia absolute crap. Far as I’m concerned we still need auto cue newsreaders more than opinion so I don’t know what narcotic he is on by saying that. In this period of time we actually need fact over opinion because we have social media which is personalising feeds to show particular stories you like in order to strengthen opinions making it a shambles.

3 Likes

But he is delivering higher ratings for the channel and Foxtel only care about the bottom line which is money.

1 Like

Which is probably better than Sky News is doing. I’m only repeating what other people have claimed on this forum when I’ve said how good Sky News actually was when it contained real news.

I’m comparing it to now, which is absolute rubbish. It was never as good as Sky News UK but could have been.

Seeing how Murdoch wants get his grubby mits on Sky News UK with plans to take it down the same “Opinions as News” route, the future of independence and impartiality in news coverage looks bleak.

1 Like