Sky News

1 Like

Another apology from Peta Credlin.

*Another apology from the legal team, read by Peta Credlin

With the amount of apologies this channel has to make, you could make a deadly drinking game out of it

3 Likes

I was thinking they should start a Sky News Apologies channel. That way they can continue to say and incite whatever they want without having to break it up with a pesky sorry every few days.

12 Likes

So she already apologised last year and is being made to do so again 18 months later just because they weren’t satisfied with it?

Half-arsed initial apology.

Credlin’s first apology came three days after the offending program went to air, but it was criticised by the Society of South Sudanese Professionals as a “serious assault” on the community. The second apology was prompted by different concerns raised after meeting with the South Sudanese community. Credlin said on Friday the first apology was “too limited” and had caused further offence.

“In June last year, while commenting on the COVID-19 pandemic, the escalation of new infections in Victoria, and various public health measures, I incorrectly linked the South Sudanese community to a cluster of cases that had developed following an end-of-Ramadan dinner in Melbourne’s northern suburbs,” Credlin told viewers. “This was factually wrong, and I again deeply regret the error. On the basis of that error, I made various other statements that I accept have caused genuine hurt and offence to South Sudanese community members. It was not my intention.”

I was thinking, surely the show is repeated, on Sky News Extra, or even on the main channel later on, wonder if the apology is also repeated?
(will actually say kudos if it is)

It was part of the main program so yes, it was shown during the late-night repeat

1 Like

She is hate filled and knows what she’s doing when she dog whistles to all her racist supporters. She’s very vindictive and spiteful. The right continually victim blame and stole fear. She’s awful and so is sky news.

3 Likes

Precisely. Like why did Peta have to specifically talk about the Sudanese Community and how they’re contributing to it? What does their race have anything to do with it? And the fact that she couldn’t even get their religions and their traditions right (assuming they were Muslims even though most of them were Christians) just goes to show how ignorant she was about the issue itself.

It was a clear targeted act towards vilifying the Sudanese community in Melbourne and blaming them for COVID spreading even though there’s so many others who are deliberately flouting rules contributing to the spread last year.

1 Like

Exactly.

“More than 93 per cent of South Sudanese born members of the community are Christian, not Muslim,” she said.
“The South Sudanese community were not making excuses and to the best of their ability members of the community were educating each other, maintaining social distancing, changing their cultural practices and doing what was required,” she said.
“My statements were understood to mean that the South Sudanese community had been reckless, irresponsible, or even deliberate, in breaching social distancing requirements, that the community had failed to adapt its cultural practices like other Australians, and that this was putting Australians at risk. I do not believe there was any truth to those inferences,” Credlin said.

I don’t think Peta intended to cause any harm with her comments. What she probably meant was that because South Sudanese people may have poor english, they will struggle to interpret the government’s stay at home directions. I’m not blaming the South Sudanese community in anyway at all, I think all governments should have done a better part throughout the pandemic to communicate their directives in a variety of languages so all can understand.

I do think she incorrectly solely mentioned the South Sudanese community though. Those who come from other Asian and European countries in particular may also have poor english.

3 Likes

The biggest problem I had with her (and other Sky News pundits) is the fact that they seem to mention specific ethnic groups (like her with South Sudanese people, Ross Cameron all those years ago on Chinese people). Whether they like it or not they don’t realise that by mentioning or singling out a single or specific communities they’re inadvertently targeting them in an offensive manner. If she had said some members of the community may have problems interpreting the government’s messages then perhaps that would be better but she made it sound like the South Sudanese Community were the ones to blame.

It’s just like Pauline Hanson blasting those in Melbourne apartments for spreading the virus and that they should all learn English or not live here. It’s despicable that people would say things like that when 1. It doesn’t contribute to anything to stop the spread and 2. It’s highly offensive to a lot of highly intelligent and good people.

2 Likes

Given English is the official language of South Sudan, it’s a pretty disrespectful bow to draw don’t you think? Or is it thinking about these things actually the issue, just assuming migrants don’t come from English speaking backgrounds?

1 Like

My apologies. I was thinking of how Arabic is a common language spoken in Sudan, however yes, South Sudan would be English.

Yes. Why should the impacted community feel obliged to accept a half-arsed apology.

Make the woman work for her Order of Australia medal and Kennedy award.

2 Likes

If you have to use these words then she is wrong and she knew what she was saying. She’s a disgrace. Stop looking for reasons to defend her. She’s intelligent so she knew how her words were manipulative and a dog whistle to her racist supporters.

1 Like

Tonight on Media Watch:

Paul Murray: Look, I get it, it’s four blokes talking about it on telly but alas we cannot change who we are or how we identify. But we are part of the inclusive discussion.

Inclusivity = Four white blokes comprising of Paul Murray, Chris Kenny and Mark Latham (vomit). Token lefty was Nicholas Reece but clearly he was outnumbered and shouted over by Latham.

Tell me this is some kind of a comedy show rather than some intelligent discussion.

4 Likes

33 posts were split to a new topic: Alan Jones Direct To The People