Sky News

his rant today in the courier mail was pathetic. heres an excerpt:

MALCOLM Turnbull’s survival depends on how quickly he realises that climate change is a hoax.

The signs of him accepting this fact are not good, which means the chances of him surviving to the next election get slimmer by the day.

He believes in all this tin foil hat conspiracy theories.

Dan Bourchier ‏@Dan_Bourchier 24m24 minutes ago
So I have some news! Very excited to be joining ABC Canberra as breakfast radio host and 7pm anchor

All these Sky people leaving for the ABC…conspiracy theories will continue over at News Corp.

Darren Davidson, or Kevin Perry, can’t work out who’s who any more, will be all over it.

Maybe they’re leaving in preparation for being taken over by news corp.

If this outsiders show is anything to go by on the programming at sky I would be leaving too.

What I don’t get is how three rich white men are “silenced majority”. They have a tv show for fuck sake to spout their ill informed views of the world. The propensity of the right to bleet about how they are the victims is astounding. Truly bizarre stuff.

Just spent a few days on a cruise in the Pacific and had a chance to watch Australia Channel News, Australia Channel Business and Australia Channel Sports.

The News channel is a mostly carbon copy of Sky News Live but loops of international weather (with references to see more on Foxtel Channel 603???), ASTRA commercials and promos for their shows like The B Team and Pyne & Marles. There’s also live news programming while Sky News Live is airing other content they don’t have international rights for. The Business channel ditto with Sky News Business.

Perhaps they could try more to sell the ad spots with international clients (granted they can’t air a direct Sky News Live signal because some advertisers don’t want their ads outside Australia/NZ)?

Australia Channel Sports is just a loop of Sportsline/Sports Night with no new rolling content. Seems like a bit of a waste of spectrum (the same could be said for the ‘local’ channels on Foxtel Channel 600).

I imagine all channels are in for an overhaul when Fox moves in.

2 Likes

Kill me.

1 Like

News Corp has officially brought ANC in a deal worth around $20 million according to [The Australian] (paywall(http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/news-corp-completes-takeover-of-sky-news-parent-anc/news-story/64795d6f2d93d261dffdf8ad392e39a4) (paywall)

1 Like

Hope we start seeing changes soon!

20 million is quite a bargain.

Sky News Australia acquired by News Corp

Content from Nine, Seven and Sky will continue to be part of the Sky News service for many more years.

1 Like

I wonder whether they’ll separate the non-sky au content out

From The Australian, no paywall.

No doubt, to save costs, all Sky News and Sky News Weather channels will now end up being co-located together possibly along with Fox Sports at Gore Hill. Which would of course mean the bean counters who will now own both Sky News and Fox Sports will no doubt get rid of the current two separate sporting news departments and merge into one, with resulting reduction in staff.

1 Like

No surprise to see they’ll still be scabbing off everyone else. Embarrassing.

1 Like

It looks like the Sky Weather Channel has been trying some different things at times lately. They’ve had split screen crosses a few times over the past few weeks between the meteorologist and the presenter and this morning I saw around 6:45 what was like a morning show type thing with them both at a desk and sitting on chairs and a 10 minute observations and forecast box taking up the right quarter of the screen. Then when I turned it round again later it was back to normal, was quite strange. Have never seen that before.

Don’t think we will see many changes until February. Looks like though the Sky name will stay.

So would FOX News Australia work? Are there broadcasting regulations in Australia that would stop a right wing news channel operating? Would there be enough people in Australia who would watch and be loyal to such a channel. In the UK the regulator expects that political coverage is reasonably balanced, is broadcasting regulation different in Australia in this respect?

Knowing that our broadcasting regulator ACMA is perfectly fine with right wing-skewing talkback radio stations utilising public airwaves (2GB Sydney instantly comes to mind), I think that they’d be OK with a right wing news channel on Pay TV.

And for better or worse, I think there are probably enough people in this country who would watch and be loyal to a “Fox News Australia” if one were to ever exist.