Sky News

I think the most that will happen is they will get rid of Sky News Local, and just have Sky News, Sky News Business, Sky News Weather and APAC and just maybe a SKY News UK. I suspect Sky News Business will run FOX News Business overnight. I think the reporters, set and the graphics will be modified to either look like Sky UK or Fox Sports Australia if they change their on-air look in February (Which is likely with the launch of Fox Sports NRL channel). All Sport will just be from Fox Sports like how Sky Sports handle the sports on Sky News UK.

I think the most interesting aspect will be how News Corp creates synergy and content sharing between Sky News and it’s digital news properties - namely the #1 news site in the country - news.com.au

That is why News Corp relentlessly pursued the purchase of Sky News over the last 2 years: to make use of it’s video content on it’s digital news outlets. Video growth online is massive - and can claim a premium in advertiser rates. That is what News Corp purchased here - the ability to use Sky video content online.

We’ll see what News’ plans are in the months ahead, but a few ideas and possibilities that make sense:

• Increased content sharing and cross promotion across News websites and Sky News
  • A possible combined newsroom
  • Cross promotion and shared resources between Fox Sports News and Sky News sports content
  • Sky News move from FOXTEL studios to Fox Sports studios
  • A better channel number on the Foxtel dial - such as Ch. 112 t boost viewership
  • Distribution of Sky News on more platforms: Apple TV, Fetch, Optus TV, Telstra TV etc
  • Combining of Sky News with News Corp digital subscriptions: IE - subscribe to Daily Tele or The Australian online get free 24/7 streaming access to Sky News

I’m not sure the thinkers at News Corp will be this daring and bold, but to me one of the biggest benefits and smarter things to do would be to combine the newsrooms and brands of news.com.au and Sky News:

It would require co-locatring and a complete overhaul of how reporting and news content generating is done - but not dissimilar to Newshub or NZ or 7 News/The West Australian effort in Perth. You would have one massive team of journalists producing content for all platforms: online, on air and on social all from one newsroom.

Then, I’d look at merging the brands. Perhaps the Sky News brand stays, and a new logo is launched for on air and News.com.au changes it’s URL to SkyNews.com.au - and the Sky News website is folded up into news.com.au with more video content and live streaming.

Perhaps the Sky News brand goes away, and a new news brand is launched for the channel and website (Australia Now, Fox News Australia etc)

I’m not sure - but to me it seems the biggest benefit would be to combine the brands and newsrooms and create Australia’s largest digital newsroom creating content to distribute to a ll platforms - under one brand.

2 Likes

Clearly not as we currently have a right wing channel…Sky News. Home of morons like Bolt, Murray, Kenny et.al.

1 Like

Absolutely agree this is all about dominating all platforms - online, TV, and print and sharing resources, especially online video. Let’s not forget the recent appointment of Adam Boland to head up online video at News Corp as part of a 50/50 job share agreement with Sky News. This is key.

I’m not sure about everyone’s assumption about sport.

FOX Sports News 500 is one bulletin on loop every three hours, with 40 staff.
At least SKY…who only have 8-10 dedicated sport staff… update scores on the half hour on weekends, take you LIVE to important news conferences etc.

Despite all the resources, FSN 500 could be so much better.

Maybe FOX Sports just focus on sports coverage and panel shows… the news channel is axed…send their journos and cameramen to SKY and establish SKY SPORTS…Just like the UK.

Again, all it takes is a camera and Dajero and Bang you’re live to air with a news conference. A concept SKY embraces…and FSN 500 hasn’t dominated.

I’ve noticed that too over the past few months. There’s been many times where there’s been a important press conference going on which Sky were showing live either via the main channel or multiview which you would expect FSN to be all over but didn’t.

In regards to the assumption, it’s a natural one since Fox Sports and Sky News are now owned by the same company. As a result, it would be in News Corp’s interests to have all of their sports news coverage aligned with FSN. If the Sky UK model is used, Sky’s sports journalists would still be there but their sports updates would come under the FSN banner.

Let’s hope the new owners (News Corp) use the same company they used to design the Fox Sports look - dd8 Sydney - to completely overhaul the Sky News logo and on air look, and unify it with news.com.au

Fox Sports rebrand - dd8

Sky News Business used to run FOX Business overnight until 2013, I have no idea why they stopped doing that.

The News and Fox split was in 2013, could that be the reason?

This is from TV Tonight’s email:

Who should be most worried about News Corp buying SKY News? Possibly TEN News…

Because?

Of SKY News taking over TEN News, is what I would imagine TV Tonight is referring to

That rumour again…

Sky News does not have significant news gathering sources to be able to produce 5 local - or even 1 national - FTA style news bulletins - it’s all talking heads - and they rely on Nine and Seven stations for vision.

In it’s present operation - Sky could not produce FTA style local or national news bulletins for Ten. They simply don’t have the resources…

1 Like

To be fair, Sky do have a reporter or two in most (if not all) of the major capital cities. That’s meant they’ve relied less on reports done by Seven & Nine in the past year or two

1 Like

But they’d obviously gain Ten’s resources as part of the process.

1 Like

Exactly!

@webguy If Ten kept all those resources in place for Sky to inherit - then there would not be much point outsourcing the news to Sky - Ten would just continue to do it themselves.

I see no chance of a Ten / Sky tie up.

Sky has signed a new vision/content deal with Seven and Nine. I don’t see that being used to produce news for Ten. Sky’s resources are already stretched so thin

2 Likes

I can see SKY simulcast news bulletins on TEN. Maybe a First Edition bulletin. Morning bulletin and afternoon bulletin. Ten does first at 5 then a late night SKY bulletin at 11pm. If they’re really brave…Maybe SKY could simulcast Paul Murray LIVE or replay it later in the evening. Either way if Ten and SKY work together…it could be the only way more news is shown on TEN, which can only be a good thing, as they only do one bulletin a day. I do miss Rob Wilson at 6am and Tarsh Belling at 11am…and of course the late news with sports tonight. Those were the days

@Grantman - again, Ten and Sky have no working history for 20 years at all. And there have been no reports about them joining up in the future at all. It’s all TV blog and MediaSpy speculation.

You are not gonna see Sky bulletins simulcast on Ten, when Sky takes content from Seven and Nine.

Also Sky makes money by selling it’s content (carriage) to Foxtel.

If that content is avail for free on FTA - it greatly reduces what Foxtel would pay. And that is the bulk of Sky’s income.

It’s not gonna happen,

2 Likes