Sky News Regional

I’d love to hear your “smart” argument for that.

So why is that your call to make? Isn’t that censorship? Some people aren’t smart enough, for both sides but the majority aren’t as dumb as people make them out to be. Remember, most of us here are average people too, are we all not that intelligent too?

2 Likes

PML is on now for the first time. Here’s Paul’s intro:

1 Like

I agree with the fact that it would be good to have diversity of opinions and voices. However, the general consensus I am getting is the fact that the right-wing commentators seem very intrusively loud and always tries to shut down left-wing based commentary whilst the left-wing don’t really say too much. To voice your opinion is one thing but to shut down another opinion just because it doesn’t stack up to your opinion is another, and I think that’s why people despise right-wing commentators such as Paul Murray, Chris Kenny, Rowan Dean, Andrew Bolt etc.

P.S. I’m not a big fan of these commentators either for the same reasons but I will not let my own opinion influence others’ views and opinions.

6 Likes

But that’s what happens from the left wing extremists to the right wing ones too. The Greens will never allow right wing opinions for example. That’s nothing new. It’s just at the moment, society has a very much left wing view so that when somebody has right wing opinions they are all automatically extreme right wing/dangerous/should be shut down. Or, censored.

3 Likes

Wow this fuckwit hangs out with Pauline Hanson on the weekends. He’s showing happy snaps from his weekend in Birdsville.

He claims “we push back against the media” … does this prick realise he works in the media :roll_eyes:. He has that extreme right wing nutter Jim Molan on. He’s one of Abbott’s acolytes.

2 Likes

You’re just making that up. Show me where they are “intrusively loud”.

Just for the record, I agree that these guys are extreme right wing and I don’t agree with them and while I have many right wing views, I also have several left wing. I just don’t agree with the hatred and intolerance to other opinions.

3 Likes

I didn’t say it was my call to make. I didn’t say I wasn’t an average person. Not sure why you’re suggesting I did either.
I’m saying there’s a large proportion of society who aren’t overly smart in this respect. Whether they can (or want to) determine the inherent bias in a news service is something most people aren’t interested in, most people just want news.

2 Likes

Let’s see:

• Denying Climate change is real
  • Thinking that the Paris Agreement is all puff and smoke
  • Treating Trump like the mighty saviour of the world whilst talking down those who protest against Trump as ‘lefties’
  • Inviting the likes of Milo Yiannopoulos and Blair Cottrell onto their shows to express their ‘opinions’, which they seem to go along and agree.
  • Savaging the ABC pretty much every night even though the ABC hasn’t done much to be savaged about.
  • Calling for Abbott to come back even though he’s a complete failure

Need I to go on?

1 Like

Oh Jens, I’m not interested at all (even slightly) in getting myself into this discussion. Enjoy your night.

3 Likes

All of that is rubbish.

That’s right, and sadly Sky News muddies the waters with what’s news and what’s opinion. How many of those people who aren’t really engaged in news or politics are going to gravitate to Sky News because it’s entertaining and full of opinion?

Full page ad in the Sunday Mail today.

1 Like

Sky News on WIN adds absolutely nothing to the diversity of media in regional Australia. For one, the content is already available elsewhere - albeit not for free on television - but in addition in many of the WIN markets, News Corp already has a presence through its print assets.

That, and the only regionally produced or focussed programming is WIN’s All Australian News, which is already found on (WIN) Eleven. While I call out the extremism that comes from Sky’s after dark presenters, the channel has every right to exist in the media landscape - but it’s also important, I think, to not overstate its importance

7 Likes

Yeah, sorry, didn’t mean you specifically, more you as anyone who doesn’t want anything contrary to their view to be aired.

Yep, can definitely agree with this one!

As you say, not interested in a debate, was just curious and it had been bugging me. I’m all for diversity of opinions no matter how stupid or angry they make me, as long as people can think for themselves. Have a good night!

3 Likes

Well said.

The views on MS doesn’t exactly match up with the views of Australia as a nation. What we think or believe in isn’t relevant to society as a whole. It’s good that we have different POVs provided by different media outlets here to cater for everyone. However, I hope that the different views can maintain their POVs without straying into extremism territory.

6 Likes

“Potentially millions of viewers” :joy:

I reckon Foxtel ratings for Sky shows will still be higher than on SNOW.

Sky News’s opinion programming has little impact on the general population so far (but an exaggerated impact on the LNP Caucas). It’s free on Foxtel Go so any Australian could go seek it out if they wished. The PHON vote has stayed steady at 10-15% for the past few years which suggests that the “conservative base” that Sky is pandering to is staying steady.

Of course, we are yet to see how Sky News After Dark will react when it has to play the underdog under a Labor Government (ironically elected because of a rift in the LNP base Sky News has worked to widen).

1 Like

Bill & Boz is currently live, so it looks like SNOW joins Sky News live for programs with a later start time.

“To those who have watched the show I apologise”. Does Paul Murray say that every night!?!?

2 Likes