Shortwave. HF Radio. High Frequency

1 Like

@Dj_Cazzah, whatā€™s reception like in your travels of the 4KZ SW service on 5055 kHz?

1 Like

Quite clear down here where I am at night. It sometimes fluxuates in and out with some interference but it is mostly audible. I sent In a reception report via email last week and was advised a QSL was sent out for me so thatā€™s something for me to look forward to next week. Usually when I am up in Northern Victoria I notice a much clearer signal then down here in Melbourne although that said I still enjoy listening to it and it comes through clear here at most times of the night.

1 Like

Iā€™m picking up a station now I have never heard of before: Helleniki Radiophonia from Greece on 9420khz. Itā€™s coming very clear into Melbourne now.

Thanks for your reply. Great you emailed and they responded.

1 Like

Got a video for you, Not sure if itā€™s sounding the best but itā€™s audible.

1 Like

Anyone able to help me identify what 399khz is on longwave here in Melb? Iā€™m picking up what sounds like ATC mixed in with some Morse code going over the top. Iā€™ve centred the frequency to 399khz but seems to have a small spread. Cheers.

Youā€™re 1 kHz off. 398 kHz is operated by Airservices Australia from Moorabbin.

Hereā€™s the transmitter: https://goo.gl/maps/xo3vnshi6pLikFfM8

2 Likes

Great reception if youā€™re at Morabbin DFO, just over the other side of the airport it seems.

@Dj_Cazzah, itā€™s a directional beacon, youā€™ll not thereā€™s two ā€˜beaconsā€™. Thatā€™s how directional beacons are done at airports.

What you should listen out for are the NOTAMs from the RAAF. Provides useful weather information and flight details on whether aircraft need to request entry to airspace or not enter (training, operations etc).

Amberley west of Brisbane does one.

1 Like

Thanks guys, being not too far away from Tullamarine and Essendon airports I thought there would be a beacon for those too but I havenā€™t found anything of interest yet.

You donā€™t need to blindly twiddle the dial.

Search the ACMA radcom database for that area and range of 100 - 500 kHz should cover it.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the fun part!

1 Like

Anyone in and around Melbourne and own a 27mhz radio and would like to have a chat sometime? (35LSB seems to be the way to go) Iā€™m trying to test out my new setup properly and would like to know if I am getting out okay. My next door neighbour is currently complaining saying she is getting TV interference from it. I have spoken to some people but Iā€™ve been told my signal is weak.

1 Like

Re the TVI.
Consider a 27MHz Lowpass TX Filter for your CB install (if you suspect your CB radiating harmonics or spurs well above 27MHz) or a High Pass receive filter for your neighbourā€™s TV both specifically designed for the problem you have (or both). These fit close to the respective RX/TX units.
Also a ā€˜braid breakerā€™ (isolator) maybe all thatā€™s required at her TV antenna input.
More than likely the problem will be fixed at her end.

These 3 devices used to be cheap & common place in the 70s & 80ā€™s during the 27MHz CB craze.

73s

2 Likes

Managed to catch Voice of America in English this morning.

3 Likes

Not sure of the stationā€™s name or origin, but as I was driving home, I managed to catch an *American station (presumably, since the two DJs were both American) on 15210khz shortly after 8.30pm this evening. Any ideas on what this station could have been? Maybe Voice of America?

1 Like

At the time you mentioned, China Radio International was broacasting in English on 15210 kHz.

2 Likes

Yes- the CRI announcers sound quite American; some of them are probably Americans in any case. VOA doesnā€™t broadcast in English to the Asia/Pacific region anymore; that 11720 kHz transmission is targeted elsewhere I think.

3 Likes

Also Chinese learn American English and hear their accents from TV and movies. About 10 years ago I had a neighbour who was an international student from China and he sounded American but had never been there

4 Likes

Ok, thanks everyone for clearing that up. I thought it seemed unlikely that I would have been listening to an American station, but I thought I would ask anyway.

2 Likes