Share Your Pics 📷

Sorry to post again, but I can’t help but share more of my holiday photos! :stuck_out_tongue:

I went to the sinkhole and Blue Lake at Mount Gambier this morning. It’s only the second time that I’ve ever been to South Australia, so it has been great to check out/explore more of the state.

Also took these at a nice little seaside town called Southend, which I had never been to before.

11 Likes

Glad you enjoyed the blue lake & the umpherston sinkhole, pity it wasn’t more sunnier & more of a blue sky yesterday morning, otherwise the blue lake would had more of a brighter blue colour about it. Did you manage to go to the cave gardens, valley lake & centenary tower during your visit to Mt Gambier?

3 Likes

I love Mt Gambier. Beautiful part of Aus. There’s also a cave tour around there which is a must see.

5 Likes

I will try and get to Mt Gambier later in the year… I’ve been to Warrnambool and to Adelaide but nowhere much in between. Sounds like a nice town.

Years ago, i met a bloke from Mt Gambier when i was in the USA, I asked him where he was from… His initial reply was "Victoria "… When he mentioned Mt Gambier, i pointed out to him that it was in South Australia, his reply to that was “Well, its near Victoria”…

There’s nothing wrong with being from South Australia, is there!?

3 Likes

I was literally down at some of those exact spots this time last week. Wednesday was a very smokey day (at least up until lunchtime). Apparently they were doing some back burning.

2 Likes

Thanks! Yeah, it’s a shame that the weather wasn’t nicer on the day. I actually went to the Blue Lake & Umpherston Sinkhole back in 2011 as well, but it was overcast then too. :frowning:

No I didn’t, unfortunately. I only stayed in Mount Gambier for one night and then I had a 5+hour drive to Victor Harbor the next day, so I didn’t get a chance to see or do everything that I would have liked to. The Engelbrecht Cave looks like they would be really good.

The area around Mount Gambier is definitely beautiful in terms of scenery and it probably has one of the best coastlines in Australia, but to be honest, I didn’t really get good impressions of the town itself.

The main street of Mount Gambier had a few ‘characters’ loitering/walking around and it just seemed a bit rough to me overall. I guess it’s a bit unfair of me to judge it though since I was only there for one night. However, based on first impressions, I would definitely much rather choose to live in Warrnambool or Portland if I was wanting to move to the area.

Mount Gambier is definitely worth checking out. You could probably spend up to 3 nights there and have no trouble finding things to see or do during that time. Southend, Beachport and Robe are nice little seaside towns to visit in the area, although I wouldn’t spend no more than an hour in each of them. Kingston SE has The Big Lobster. :stuck_out_tongue:

The drive between Mount Gambier and Adelaide isn’t too great though, especially once you get past Kingston SE. It’s a long, boring drive through flat farmland; I found it very monotonous. If you do go to that part of South Australia, I would suggest doing it as part of a larger road trip.

Lol, what a coincidence! Yep, there was back burning down near Lorne on that day, but the conditions worsened and the fire got out of control.

2 Likes

Here’s a few more pictures which I have taken over the past couple of days: :slight_smile:

I happened to discover this lookout by accident while I was heading out of Goolwa on Wednesday. I’m glad I did though, even if the view was a bit hazy!

Hahndorf has been one of the highlights of my trip so far! I had heard it was a must-see place to visit near Adelaide, so I decided to check it out on Wednesday and i’m seriously glad I did. I loved it! You don’t see too many German-influenced towns in Australia, lol.

I also went up to Mount Lofty yesterday morning and took this.

Adelaide interests me as a city. It’s a city of almost 1.4 million, but it doesn’t really ‘strike’ me as being an outright major city. Many of the shops don’t open until as late as 10:30am or 11am (which seems to be an SA thing) and it feels more like a ‘big town’ in a lot of ways. It’s also quite easy to drive around in. From a distance, my home city of Wollongong seems to have more high-rises and a denser CBD, even though it’s got way less people than Adelaide.

Also went to the Adelaide Zoo yesterday. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I have this impression of Adelaide too.

No internal freeways and a lsck of high rise (i think there’s only 1 building over 30 storeys and its been like that for a long time now).

And the drab suburban malls, Westfield Marion felt like i went back to the 1980s.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s still s nice place though.

3 Likes

I agree on your thoughts. The town itself isn’t super special but it has some beautiul places to see as you’ve shown.

3 Likes

Shots of Shellharbour Village and Warilla South Beach - 24/12/2011

5 Likes

A sunset view across the new playground in Gujaga Park in Rockdale.

7 Likes

Took these today: :slight_smile:

A view of Port Augusta from the water tower lookout in town. Port Augusta was a surreal experience, as it was the first time I had ever truly been to an arid/outback area.

However, my impressions of it weren’t great to say the least. The motel I stayed at had high-wired fence around the entire perimeter and was guarded 24/7. That in itself really said a lot. The streets were dead by 5pm, except for a few Indigenous kids who were loitering around the main shopping area. I had dinner at a local pub and everyone in the bar turned around/stared as we walked in. It was an experience, lol.

Whyalla took me by surprise, tbh. It’s not the greatest place in the world, but I’ve actually got a soft spot for it due to how similar the town is to Port Kembla. It really felt like a ‘home away from home’ for me as someone who has born and raised in the Illawarra.

Took these from Hill 60, I mean… Hummock Hill in Whyalla.

4 Likes

The small townsite of Newdegate 31/01/2021

3 Likes

Yes I liked Hahndorf too ,have been there on day tours from Adelaide more than once,very pretty town.Last time I was there in May 2015 it was a very cool day ,top temperature of 10 degrees ,cold day for a Queenslander

3 Likes

so I visited the ACMI/SBS building today! Been loving Melbourne so far, beautiful city
Will I start calling parmis parmas? I hope not, but I’ve had the best parmis of my life so far

11 Likes

Welcome to Melbourne!
Definitely the best city in Australia :- )

4 Likes

AND NOW THE BIGGEST :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I Attended the Western Derby match at Optus Stadium on 2 April 2023. I was inside the Corporate Box rather than being in the Seat Block. The crowd at the Optus Stadium was about 56,080 during the match. Fremantle Dockers won the match, beating the West Coast Eagles by 41 points. This was a good experience to head to the stadium.
This year, Optus Stadium has been huge — The BBL12 Final, the Ed Sheeran Concert, and the AFL. There will also be an NRL match be played at Optus as well as the FIFA Womens World Cup.

2 Likes

State of Origin, so not just an NRL match!

That’s not being held at Optus.

1 Like

The 3 games this year are in Adelaide, Brisbane then Sydney. So Perth doesn’t get one this year.

South Sydney play my team (Cronulla Sharks) at Optus Stadium on Sat 5th August.

2 Likes