Shane Warne Dead at 52 - Coverage Discussion

Should be a weekend. People will not be able to come because of school and work.

Itā€™s too hard to do it on a weekend because the MCG is being used for footy.

7 Likes

Yeah I know but there must be a day that is free?

Funerals are rarely held on weekends.

Yeah so? This is a bit different.

Funeral will be held in the evening of March 30

1 Like
1 Like

Will be interesting to see what networks do if it clashes with the 6pm news. Or even in prime time.

Reckon itā€™ll air on all or some or only on steam?

1 Like

I think that Sky and FSN (and Cricket and maybe even Footy) will definitely air it. Youā€™d think that all three would air it, but if the actual ceremony part was going to start at 6:30, then they might air the first bit on a second channel. It will be interesting as to whether they air it nationwide on the main channels, or nationwide on second channel and in Melbourne on main channel.

Confirmed by Peter Ford on The Morning Show that itā€™s starting at 7pm.

2 Likes

Seven will have The Front Bar that night, because of Thursday night footy.

Presuming the funeral is televised live, they should follow it with a national 90 minute Front Bar special, live from the MCG. They may be able to get funeral guests on the show after the funeral.

5 Likes

Iā€™m sure you mean well, buy that sounds like a dreadfully tacky way to follow a memorial service.

4 Likes

Sounds horrendous and not needed at all.

Itā€™s two different type of environments and just wouldnā€™t work well. From a funeral (formal and reverent occasion) to guys talking about footy (casual, chill). Theyā€™d better off with a news special if anything.

1 Like

I like this idea. I donā€™t think itā€™s being disrespectful at all, if anything, a celebration of Shaneā€™s life after the funeral. As you mentioned, there should be some good guests they could get on.

2 Likes

Going to cost the networks millions in lost ad revenue

According to the SMH, Nine, Seven, the ABC, Foxtel, Sky UK and the BBC are going to broadcast the funeral, with Sky sending a team to Melbourne to cross to, and to contribute to the pool vision.

8 Likes

Whereā€™s 10? AGAIN! No floods, no election, no funeral. What a network to missā€¦

2 Likes

10 - probably rightly - know they are not going to be peopleā€™s first, second or even third choice to watch the funeral. I reckon providing an alternative is good - just depends what they settle on.

8 Likes

Their name ā€œ10 News Firstā€ surely they need to remove that branding nowā€¦

2 Likes