Seven v Nine News Ratings Comparisons

Seven wins the week in Sydney again. Seems like the Chase is doing its mighty works, and Mark Ferguson might not seem so bad after all (has done well for the past few weeks at least).

1 Like

Nine seems to have dropped more so than Seven gaining. But still, a win is a win and Mark is to be congratulated for that one. Fair is fair.

###Week 47 - Preliminary

Colours indicate change from previous week - green is increase or no change, red is a decrease.

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

Red! Big drops for news across the board. Another win for Seven in Sydney. One week of survey to go.

1 Like

Wow, Seven News Sydney wins again. Ch 9 would not be happy.

300k+ for Nine News Melbourne over both half hours, lead over Seven.

Seven News Melbourne averaged the most consistent audience over the hour.

As I’ve asked before, didn’t Seven News Sydney do pretty decently in the ratings last November?

While Nine should be cautious, I wouldn’t say that Seven snatching the “Sydney’s #1 News” crown off them next year is a certainty…

Week 47 last year 60 minute average Seven Sydney 252,000 Nine Sydney 280,000.

Week 46 252,000 - 268,000
Week 45 269,000 - 277,000
Week 44 258,000 - 282,000

2 Likes

###Week 48 - Preliminary

Colours indicate change from previous week - green is increase or no change, red is a decrease.

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

So that is the end of the official survey for 2016. While I don’t personally think that weeks won is the best measure of ratings, this year’s results pretty much match the numbers for average weekly audience (my preferred measure). Adelaide and Perth were a walk over for Seven while there was a closer result in Sydney and Melbourne and it looks like only about 3,000 will separate the Brisbane bulletins (incl Olympics).

When the official numbers are released including consolidated (that I don’t have) that will be included in the anticipated big end-of-year rating wrap.

3 Likes

Wow, more wins for Seven News in Melbourne & Sydney, also a good way to finish the year!

Craig McPherson can be considered a pretty big success for 2016 then? :grinning:

–

Out of curiosity @TV.Cynic, what were the overnight metro averages for the 2016 ratings survey (5 city metro, Syd, Melb, Bris, Adel & Per)?

As I stated above when the official consolidated weekly averages are released for the news, they will be posted.

1 Like

While some minor improvements have been made throughout the course of the year, Seven News Sydney (and to some extent, the network as a whole locally) still has a very long way to go before I can say they’re truly deserving of being “Sydney’s #1”

Unfortunately in TV, deserving rarely has anything to do with it.

2 Likes

Based on the media releases so far this is what we have for the average audiences for each bulletin - the east coast numbers are confirmed, Adelaide and Perth no yet.

2 Likes

Thanks heaps @TV.Cynic :grinning:

Wow, 6k difference between Seven News & Nine News in Brisbane.

Massive in-roads in Melbourne & Sydney, only 30k difference.

Seven News dominated Adelaide & owned Perth.

Seven News also a clear metro, regional & national winner.

Updated table - discovered that some of the original numbers were ex Olympics.

3 Likes

I’m at a loss as to how Ch 9 go forward in WA :confused:

###Week 49 - Preliminary

Weeks won - Year

On preliminary numbers a tie is Sydney.

Current state of FTA graphically illustrated in colour. Apart from ACA in Perth and one green square in news (that was a gain of less than 1,000) all red.

1 Like

Clear indication that the weather is warming up, and the summer months are here.

Another win for 7 News in Melbourne (Just) and dead even in Sydney. Couldn’t be closer in the big two

1 Like

What this thread fails to recognize is that in 24-54 - which is the target demo of both Seven and Nine as it’s what they sell as primary to advertisers - Nine wins across the top 5 markets quite comfortably, and locally in all markets except Perth.

Even so it Perth Seven’s lead of 3 to 1 over Nine reduces to a less than 2:1 lead in 25-54 - as Seven’s news there skews so old.

So in the demo that pays the bills for Seven, they are #2

Nine News was ahead in the final Sydney numbers by just less than 70 viewers across the hour so the week will go down as a tie :grinning:

2 Likes

###Week 50 - Final

Weeks won - Year

Due to the ODI coverage, Nine numbers, especially Perth (were coding errors occurred) subject to more than usual change.

Big win to Seven in Brisbane.

1 Like