Seven v Nine News Ratings Comparisons

Nine thought they would have had some chance this year after Jane Doyle stepped down from the Seven newsdesk at the end of last year, but if anything, the Seven bulletin has only continued to go frmo strength to strength with their new anchors yet to lose a half-hour segment this year.

With that in mind, when the time comes, Seven Perth will want to ensure the transition into the post-Rick and Sue era is not as traumatic and keep viewers dialled to their 6:00pm news.

1 Like

Do people really just tune in to that half hour for her weather segment? Wow. She’s very popular.

I don’t think viewers abandon a news bulletin when they realise there will be a different weather presenter. They’re watching for the overall package. According to the numbers, 244k were watching the first half hour and 243k the second, so there wasn’t a switch off.

Earlier in the year when Jane was wasn’t presenting it didn’t make any difference to the ratings.

3 Likes

Any reason why 9melb 6:30pm got an increase of 10k. I’ve seen it with Brisbane before (thought it was for NRL related sport etc) but rarely seen it with Melbourne

They certainly did in her WIN days

1 Like

Week 35 2023 - Preliminary

Ratings weeks won - 2023

Weeks won - 2023

Week 35 2022

Overall, a good week for news for the last week of Winter with most bulletins improved and only slight decreases for the rest. Seven’s 5-city total was up 18,000 while Nine’s was up 17,000.

Nine had another good week and won all east coast markets including Melbourne for the first time this year. While Seven won at 6pm in Melbourne, Nine was ahead enough this week at 6.30 for a win by just 700 across the hour winning three out of five nights.

Nine also did well in Sydney to post a 12k gain winning all nights except Friday where Seven had a big win. Seven was up 7k in Brisbane while Nine fell slightly but stayed well ahead winning four nights. Nine was up 6k in Adelaide while Seven was up 10k in Perth.

The 5-city totals were close to last year’s results.

2 Likes

Interesting to see Nine Melbourne take a win… they came close last week too.

4 Likes

Good to see Nine News Melbourne making a slow comeback.

I didn’t think Nine would win a week in Melbourne until the end of the AFL season (although I suppose this week was the pre-finals bye week).

2 Likes

Week 36 2023 - Preliminary

Ratings weeks won - 2023

Weeks won - 2023

Week 36 2022

Nearly all bulletins were within 10,000 viewers of the previous week. Seven Perth was the exception with a drop of 22,000 as Seven’s viewers were no doubt watching AFL on 7Mate.

That saw Seven’s 5-city number down 24k while Nine as down 6,000.

Nine continued to pull ahead in Sydney increasing it lead by 11,000 this week after Seven had been competitive earlier in the year and has now won an unbeatable 21 weeks.

However, Nine went backwards in Melbourne after last week’s first win of the year – Nine down 7k and Seven up 7k – though a closer result than earlier in the year.

Seven in Brisbane came very close to a 6pm win but Nine easily won across the hour.

The Adelaide market was unchanged on recent results as Nine continues to underperform down year-on-year by 27%.

Nine Perth was up as Seven lost audience with Nine up 26% on the same week last year.

4 Likes

I think that was predictable with Sevens lead up to the AFL finals. But the big let down for Nine Melbourne was its absence on the breaking news in the Burke Street mall. Seven was a clear standout on its coverage last night. Will this continue to affect Nines numbers going into next week?

3 Likes

That wasn’t just a failure of Nine News in Melbourne but the whole Nine News operation. The should have a Friday night back up for breaking news (and Saturday).

4 Likes

Note that at 21 weeks won Nine is now claiming the win in Sydney for the survey period. 2 more weekly wins and it will have won the calendar year.

1 Like

That’s now 13 straight years that Nine News has claimed the Sydney market.

But while they may have restored a comfortable lead over Seven News in recent weeks, they’ve had to fend off improved competition from them, especially in the middle part of the year where at one stage Seven News won three or four weeks in a row, and during the recent FIFA Women’s World Cup.

1 Like

Nine is claiming 13 years.

1 Like

Sorry my mistake. I knew Nine had been winning in Sydney since 2011, must’ve gotten my maths wrong :man_facepalming:

I have corrected my original post.

Week 37 2023 - Preliminary

Ratings weeks won - 2023

Weeks won - 2023

Week 37 2022

Overall a small increase in news viewing for Seven in week 37 up 4,000 in the 5-city number as Nine lost 16,000 viewers on average.

In Sydney, Nine continued to improve its position. After last week securing 21 wins out of 40 to win the survey period, it notched up its 26th win for an unbeatable position in the calendar year.

In Melbourne, audiences were down across the table with Seven’s bulletin losing 14,000 week-on-week for its lowest result since March. Nine continued to be more competitive in recent weeks but lost 5,000 week-on-week but was less than 5,000 behind Seven. Seven was down 12% from week 37 of 2022.

In Brisbane, Seven did well enough to win the 6pm segment then in a familiar pattern Nine was so far ahead in the second half hour the bulletin had an easy win, now closing in on the key 20 win mark.

Seven was up 10k in Adelaide for its best result since June while Nine slipped by 4k. Both bulletins improved slightly in Perth.

Week 38 2023 - Preliminary

Ratings weeks won - 2023

Weeks won - 2023

Week 38 2022

Two milestones were reached this week as most bulletins lost audience with Seven’s 5-city total down 13,000 while Nine was down 35,000.

The first was in Sydney where Nine crossed the 27 weeks won mark to win the calendar year after recently claiming a win for the survey period. That was despite dropping 14k from week 37. Though with Seven also down 11k, it was an easy win on all nights.

Seven gained some ground in Melbourne after last week’s big drop, up by 8k as Nine slipped 3k.

In Brisbane, Nine reached 20 weeks won during the survey and now can’t be beaten for the year on the weeks won measure. Both bulletins were down as Seven won two nights.

Seven continued to dominate Adelaide, though Nine’s result was up by 2k though down 28% on the previous year.

Perth saw Seven up 3k and Nine down 8k for the usual one-sided result.

1 Like

I imagine it’s a much tighter race if it were by percentage or audience numbers.

1 Like

Week 39 2023 - Preliminary

Ratings weeks won - 2023

Weeks won - 2023

Week 39 2022

AFL finals week gave Seven Melbourne a 24,000 increase helping the 5-city total for Seven to be up by 30k. Meanwhile, Nine suffered an 8k drop across the 5-city total.

Sydney saw a much closer result than recent weeks with Nine down 20k and just 3k ahead of Seven.

Nine Brisbane notched up its 21st weekly win of the survey to win another year based on that measure. Nine also has a narrow lead in the Mon-Fri average audience but it is less than 4,000 while Seven leads on both Saturday and Sunday by small margins.

The win means that all markets have been decided.

In Adelaide, Seven was up 17% on week 39 of 2022 while Nine was down 30%. In Perth Nine had a better week though, while still trailing by a large amount, was up 24% on 2022.

4 Likes