Seven v Nine News Ratings Comparisons

Week 44 2022 - Preliminary

Ratings weeks won - 2022

Weeks won - 2022

Week 44 2021

Good to see some green in the table this week with Nine News the biggest mover overall, up 16k from last week, while Seven was steady.

Nine was back on top in Sydney though with a closer result that earlier in the month; Seven was down by 10,000.

A big 33,000 improvement for Seven in Melbourne this week pushed the bulletin well ahead of Nine’s though Nine was up as well by 4,000.

Brisbane saw Nine win its 26th win of the calendar year, so now can’t be beaten on the weeks won measure for the whole year as well as winning during the ratings period. Both bulletins had some poor results this week, Nine dropped 9,000 while Seven lost an average of 16,000. For both it was their lowest week of 2022 so far.

A nice improvement for Nine in Adelaide, up by 15k as Seven edged up by 3k. In Perth Seven dropped 11k from week 43 while Nine was 4k better.

Nine News Melbourne had crappy results on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, being beaten by 30k+ and even 50k+ on Wednesday and Friday. Nine Melbourne did decent on Tuesday with they being 6k below Seven however because of the rest of the week it had an average of 48k behind Seven.

I reckon some of it has to do with Hot Seat. The Chase has won every single day in October in Melbourne and Hot Seat only won 2 days in September, the 2nd and 27th. Something has to be done, they cannot keep it there as the ratings will drop even further. This is what I am suggesting for 5pm:

1. Tipping Point Australia. It rates well against The Chase UK and provides a good lead-in to Nine Afternoon News, that makes it rate above The Chase Australia. However I can’t see Nine giving up Hot Seat due to its high ratings in Sydney and Brisbane so…

2. Nine News at 5 Melbourne/Nine News VIC First. If Nine want to keep Millionare Hot Seat a sad not axe it due to high ratings in NRL states, I can see them trialling “Nine News at 5 Melbourne” over summer. It rates well in Adelaide and even Perth and provides a good lead-in to Nine News at 6. The only problems is:

• WIN will have trouble finding a time slot for WIN News
  • Nine might lose viewers who don’t want to watch 2 hours of news
  • If it is permanent, there will be unclean cuts and bumpy transitions to Nine News Tasmania. However WIN could just air the Sydney afternoon edition at 4 or get GTV to record a prerecorded message like they did with 10.
1 Like

Along with the lead in it’s important to note Mike and Bec presented Melbournes news this week (excluding Monday).

I really have no idea what Nine will do when Hitch retires. I just don’t think Alicia will be the sole answer.

1 Like

Week 45 2022 - Preliminary

Ratings weeks won - 2022

Weeks won - 2022

Week 45 2021

A good week for Seven with a very rare win in all markets and all timeslots with all wins quite substantial. Nine had some bad results across the week. Friday night featured 2022-low weekday audiences for both bulletins. Seven’s audience was up 11,000 from week 44 while Nine dropped by 32,000 – that’s a 43,000 differential on the previous week.

In Sydney, Seven was 15k ahead of Nine increasing its audience by 11k as Nine dropped 16k to be below 700k for the first time this year.

In Melbourne, Seven improved its position against Nine by 10,000 for a big +65k win. That compared to week 45 of 2021 when Nine won by 25k.

Seven Brisbane was also up by 6k while Nine shed 9k to its lowest weekly result of the year.

Adelaide saw both bulletins down by 6,000 to maintain the status quo .

Perth was the only market to buck the trend with Nine posting a 3,000 improvement as Seven was down 6,000 but still managed an easy win.

Overall, another poor week for Nine with some worrying trends.

3 Likes

Do we think Hot Seat is now a factor in Sydney and Brisbane?

1 Like

I know I’ve said it many times before but 7 should be looking at a 7pm current affairs show to consolidate this lead and not allow turn off after the news. ABC news frequently beats ACA, with both well ahead of H&A so there is definitely an appetite for news/current affairs at 7.

I feel like one of the reasons Nine rated so low this week is due to Hot Seat. The Chase won everyday in Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth and won Sydney on Monday-Thursday. Hot Seat only won Sydney on Friday. I feel like something needs to change if Nine don’t want to be 2nd.

I think that timeslot is too crowded with news shows.

There’s already ABC News, SBS World News, A Current Affair, and The Project. Is there really enough demand for a fifth news/current affairs option?

Home and Away is still doing well in all cities except for Sydney.

Which is very odd… usually it’s best market.

It’s usually a distant third in Brisbane too.

It recently use to struggle in Melbourne too… often 4th behind The Project.

2 Likes

Not always. H&A came 2nd in Brisbane on Thursday and was only 3k away from 2nd on Tuesday.

Point it, it’s still competitive and at least not as distant as The Project.

1 Like

Seven will keep H&A there until the advertising dollar dries up in the 7pm time slot. It’s still making the network money. But for how long is the question.

2 Likes

Week 46 2022 - Preliminary

Ratings weeks won - 2022

Weeks won - 2022

Week 46 2021

1 Like

It was another week with a lot of red. While Nine had a few bad results across the week, it was Seven that saw the biggest loss of audience, down 46,000 from week 45 while Nine was down just 6,000.

In Sydney, Nine closed the gap from the previous week but not enough. Seven took out another win across the hour with Nine just winning at 6pm but Seven overtaking in the second half of the bulletin.

In Melbourne, Seven was down 27,000 but still had a comparatively easy win with Nine down just 200.

Brisbane continues to be the closest market with a tie at 6.30pm after Seven won at 6pm. Nine is still ahead in weeks won, with the possibility that Seven could tie the calendar year with 26 each.

Adelaide remained a Seven stronghold though both bulletins lost 7-8,000 viewers from the previous week.

Nine slipped 5,000 in Perth with Seven up by 2,000 with Friday a particularly poor result for Nine.

1 Like

Week 47 2022 - Preliminary

Ratings weeks won - 2022

Weeks won - 2022

Week 47 2021

Quite a bit of green this week and an unusual result with Seven recording the same 5-city audience at 6pm and 6.30pm

For the second week in a row Seven won all markets across the hour and this time both at 6pm and 6.30pm. In a dominating performance, Seven also won all markets on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

Seven was up 15,000 from the previous week while Nine was down 3,000.

Sydney saw another win for Seven as Nine posted its lowest weekly audience of the year with every day below 200,000.

Melbourne numbers saw Seven up by 6,000 and Nine by 4,000 with Seven maintaining its lead.

Both Brisbane bulletins underperformed last week with both recording their lowest audiences of 2022; Seven down 11k and Nine down 10k. Seven still has a chance to pull even with Nine across the calendar year with weeks won. Nine is 1,000 ahead ahead based on weekly averages across the whole year. Nine has a 2,000 lead across the ratings year so should be able to claim a victory next week but only just.

Seven got a 10k lift in Adelaide while Nine edged up by 3,000 while in Perth Seven was even while Nine improved by 8,000 Otherwise both markets stayed with Seven.

One week of the 40-week ratings period to go.

1 Like

According to Sunday Herald Sun’s Fiona Byrne, after a decade of playing second best, Seven News has won the ratings year in Melbourne dethroning Nine, with Seven winning 32 weeks out of the 39 so far during this year’s official TV ratings period.

Peter Mitchell said “We have assembled a fantastic team of presenters and reporters and have an incredible behind-the-scenes team”. Peter went on to say, “I have not reached retirement age quite yet…It will happen, one day I will ride off into the sunset, but I just don’t know when that will be.”

2 Likes

Seven had technically won the Melbourne ratings battle in early September when they hit the 21 weeks won.

They have also won based on average audience across the period 267,000 to 251,000.

4 Likes